Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
Yeah the Soo is kinda the retarded brother of the north.
Is this Souix Lookout, or Sault Ste. Marie? What makes this place funny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 05:06 PM

153 posts, read 711,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is this Souix Lookout, or Sault Ste. Marie? What makes this place funny?
Sault Ste. Marie - I can't explain why, it just has a reputation. Especially in the UP.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Syracuse NY.

Lake Oneida, the Finger Lakes and the Great Lakes nearby for boating.
4 seasons. They do get a nice summer there, pretty fall, snowy winter and a blossiming spring.

You can get a standard issue 3 bd/1ba home for the 150 range, especially if you are living in one of the surrounding towns. Rents are cheap too. Taxes on the home would be most likely 4,000 range, depending on how your particular town assesses the house.

Plenty of higher education opportunities. See it's city data page: //www.city-data.com/city/Syracuse-New-York.html

Over 100K? Yes! 147,306...

Depending on your career field, this city can be quite competitive for jobs. It has been mentioned on many financial networks as one of the best cost of living cities in the US. When we researched the area 2 years ago, I could find large homes pretty new built and on property for under 200K in most areas while our salaries would remain pretty competitive. I am sure 150K would still get something nice.

I would recommend living in one of the surrounding towns as Syracuse's crime rate is a little on the high side, but the outlying towns are quite reasonable, and in many cases, less expensive.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:11 PM

153 posts, read 711,359 times
NY=PAY WAY TO MUCH TAXES :P

In my humble opinion, the north east coast is the biggest place in this country to avoid. For everything.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
You Should Go to Virginia!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:05 PM

489 posts, read 2,015,127 times
Northwest Indiana or Chicago.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
I grew up in Duluth. With the exception of the economy, it sounds like the kind of place you might be looking for. Duluth-Superior has 2 public universities, a private liberal arts college and several community/technical/career colleges. Lake Superior is almost like an inland sea. I grew up on Sklyline Parkway with a great view of the harbor and lake. Sailing is very popular in the summer...I used to love watching all those little white sails in all that big blue water. In addition to the big lake, there are also dozens of "inland" lakes to explore within an hour's drive from Duluth.

Duluth itself is about 85,000 people but the greater Duluth-Superior (WI) "metro" is over 100K.

Housing could be considered "cheap" compared to some parts of the country, but the prices are actually pretty high compared to the local wages. A 3 bedroom house for $150 can be found, but it won't be in the nicest or most convenient neighborhood.

Again, your biggest challenge would be finding a decent paying job.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,001 times
Syracuse is a good place to live but the taxes are high, and the crime in certain areas is awful, steer clear of the city...Onondoga county is nice, and so are some parts of Camillus...I personally would consider the finger lakes myself, nice area, nice schools and low cost housing, but remember the taxes are high!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:29 PM

132 posts, read 576,618 times
Kansas City has boating on Lake Smithville, about half an hour north, and the Ozarks are 2-3 hours away. Most decent places you could rent at least a 1 bdrm and sometimes a 2 bdrm for that price range, though you might not find a house that size in a nicer neighborhood. If you look at rankings of metropolitan areas by housing affordability, Kansas City is often near the cheap end of the list (we do of course range from the bad neighborhoods to the multimillion dollar estates in Mission Halls, of course, but the average is a starting point to compare with other cities). The summer is very hot and oppressive but we do have all four seasons here. The economy is not a total boom but it's Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.