Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:13 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times

Advertisements

I mean, have a crappy economy.

I want somewhere with:

*Four defined seasons.
*Needs to be near a large body of water for sailing, in particular.
*Your standard 3br/1bath can't be more than 150k on average. Rent for a two bedroom around 600-800.
*It has to be near a city of over 100k with plenty of higher education institutions.
*Taxes I don't care that much about if I can see where they are going for the most part.
*The economy doesn't have to be NC booming by any stretch of the imagination, but there has to be some opportunities.

Does any place like that exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
It did until the real estate bubble made idiots out of buyers, and instilled greed in sellers.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM

153 posts, read 711,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I mean, have a crappy economy.

I want somewhere with:

*Four defined seasons.
*Needs to be near a large body of water for sailing, in particular.
*Your standard 3br/1bath can't be more than 150k on average. Rent for a two bedroom around 600-800.
*It has to be near a city of over 100k with plenty of higher education institutions.
*Taxes I don't care that much about if I can see where they are going for the most part.
*The economy doesn't have to be NC booming by any stretch of the imagination, but there has to be some opportunities.
Does any place like that exist?
Sounds like you should move to Minnesota!
1. The economy Rocks Always strong and very diverse.
2. We've got Four Defined seasons
3. We've got 10,000 lakes, and lake superior for sailing.
4. Rent is right on target for what you want, housing -- a little higher, but in range.
5. Duluth is 100k+ population, and the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) is over 4 million in the metro. (the cities are 2 and 1/2 hours away from each other)

6. Taxes, eh. I hate taxes

Check into it!

Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Chicagoland seems like your answer. The prices arent as cheap as you want, but some far western suburbs (and I mean far) have cheap new homes, and a simple ride on a train to the city will offer the world at your fingertips. We rent a spacious apt in a far western burb for $720 a month. Forget about anything nice in the burbs or cities. They usually want a grand for a 1 BR and $1,300 for a 2 BR.

Do a little research and see what you find!

Old 12-11-2006, 03:15 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Try the greater Columbia, SC area. Or Augusta, GA. Many lakes in this area, and the housing is still affordable.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
You could try Texas, youll like that place. Theres some affordable housing near the great lakes as well.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM

67 posts, read 167,564 times
Milwaukee, WI?

Philadelphia, PA?

Old 12-11-2006, 04:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
"Four Defined Seasons" is a little vague. Would you like to further explain about what kinds of winters, springs, summers or autumns you'd prefer?

I've heard jokes like how Louisiana gets 8 months of summer and 4 months of spring-like winter. I imagine cities in Texas would be about the same.

Then there are jokes about Winnipeg in Canada, close to northern Minnesota that they also have only 2 seasons; Winter and July.

Both of these are pretty inaccurate, but there are very strong differences in the length of seasons depending on the region.

Do you want blazing fall colour or any fall colour will do?

If you like winter days averaging just below freezing and summer days averaging in the mid-high 20's Celcius, (like Germany?) you'd probably like somewhere in the Great Lakes or some parts of New England.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
Four seasons like traditionally imagined spring, summer, fall, winter. Summer is the season I like least because of the heat. I am really not looking for anywhere south of the I-70, if you had to draw a line.

I would really prefer the Great Lakes region from far western Superior to eastern Ontario, but it is hard to find somewhere there that is a city of decent size that wasn't completely washed up after manufacturing took a turn for the worse. Chicago might be doable depending on the commute. Duluth seems interesting. Have to look more into both.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Four seasons like traditionally imagined spring, summer, fall, winter. Summer is the season I like least because of the heat. I am really not looking for anywhere south of the I-70, if you had to draw a line.

I would really prefer the Great Lakes region from far western Superior to eastern Ontario,...
We all experience the seasons differently so that's why I asked.

If remember the traditional ideas towards the seasons, I think of only needing to wear gloves in winter usually, maybe wearing a light jacket in spring or fall and never needing a jacket in summer.

For me to experience seasons the way I described, winter must be between 7-18 C, spring 19-29 C and summer 30-39 C. (Celcius)

Have you ever vacationed in the U.S.? If so, what were your favorite places?

There could be a vague chance you could also find what you're looking for in the Pacific Northwest, but further inland.

In Canada, we have an area called the Okanagan Valley which is just barely north of eastern Washington state. Their winters are as cold and snowy as here, but their spring comes almost 1 month earlier. Summers there are also a little hotter, but they have almost no humidity in summer. It's our nation's best fruit growing region.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-12-2006 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.