Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM

20 posts, read 50,794 times

Advertisements

answer to c jessen's question:

New Orleans is the most European city in America with mainly French and Spanish influences. The architecture of the city is French and Spanish. The above ground tombs and cemeteries are like those in France as well as other parts of Europe. Many of the local terms or words in New Orleans are french. The cuisine is very unique and is European, with some African and other mixed in. In southern Louisiana, there is a large Cajun community that still predominantly speaks French. New Orleans also celebrates European celebrations, the most famous being mardi gras. Louisiana is the only state whos laws are based off of the Napoleonic Code. The rest of the country is based off of British Common Law I believe. New Orleans is also special in that Jazz was created here before going up the Mississippi to Memphis, Chicago, and other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:37 PM

20 posts, read 50,794 times
Also, its good to see that a lot of people actually have postivie views of New Orleans. I would love to live there again. I guess that's because I like to party. I lived there for a while and know a lot so if any of you ever plan to visit and need info or have any questions, don't be afraid to DM me.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,909 times
New Orleans is fascinating... a place one goes to once, but never again. Unfortunately, I've been there twice. I really don't like it. Too many problems, with too few people who care. It doesn't even appeal to me as a place to visit, because life's too short, and there's far better places to see.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
LA is ok. NO was ok.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 PM

845 posts, read 2,736,316 times
I have never been there but would love to go. It is a unique, special place and a defining city of America.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 PM

10 posts, read 16,166 times
Ehh. It's OK to visit. Can't picture myself going back again.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 AM

595 posts, read 2,337,882 times
I wouldn't live anywhere else.
(and I'm not a party person because most tourists don't know there is life outside Bourbon Street).

I'm a New Orleanian first, American second.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times
I love NOLA!! There is more to do then party when visiting.
You have the zoo, the garden district..for any history buffs the D Day museum is awesome..I could go on & on but yes there is a lot more to NOLA beyond Bourbon ST.

It's a crying shame our leaders have turned their back on NOLA
NOLA people need to reclaim their city and boot out all those corrupt politicians who have been robbing them for years

Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 AM

595 posts, read 2,337,882 times
We are working on it.
Many of the city council have already been booted out.
2010 will be telling as people were allowed to be bussed in to vote for Nagin in 2006 because of the failure of the government levee system, but many of those voters (not all) were why New Orleans got to be in the less than stellar shape it was in.
That and the general apathy which isn't unusual for most Americans.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,606,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
We are working on it.
Many of the city council have already been booted out.
2010 will be telling as people were allowed to be bussed in to vote for Nagin in 2006 because of the failure of the government levee system, but many of those voters (not all) were why New Orleans got to be in the less than stellar shape it was in.
That and the general apathy which isn't unusual for most Americans.
Good Luck to you Vamp...

I love your city and have always been treated most hospitable when visiting!
I'm overdue for a visit!!

Curious..is Mama D still squaking about an explosion...the big BOOM..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.