Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So my top picks are

LA - the greatest city in North America

Has great weather, beaches, mountains everything. It still is getting better with measure M and the public transportation expanding greatly. Revitalization of the LA river and is a signal of the improving QOL in terms of the look and feel of LA. LA has everything, almost every major industry is located here. (Even Elon Musk lives here) Hopefully driverless cars will make traffic flow faster and easier. Also electric cars could contribute to cleaner air and one of our major issues. LA has three major problems that you hear people complain about.

1. The cost of housing
- This will probably stay high, yeah its the one problem LA might not really solve. It's upsides still outweight the downsides though. You can still find cheaper accommodations in South LA.

2. Traffic
- Driverless cars and better public transportation are on the way

3. Air Quality
- Electric vehicles will contribute to a much cleaner air.

Why live anywhere else?

Austin - Booming economy, creative energy, fun liberal utopia. It's the fastest growing major city in the US. Everyone is moving to Texas, and Austin has the fastest growth rate. So yeah, its going to get better.

Raleigh - Has much of the same benefits as Austin. The research triangle is the smartest region in the south. It usually is compared to a place like Austin. Austin is growing faster, but this area is doing quite well. It's benefit is that it is in probably the most beautiful southern state. It has nicer beaches and the mountains in the same state. High tech and improving.
LA is, emphatically, NOT the greatest city in America, much less North America. There are at least 5-7 cities in front of LA depending on which urban metrics you are using. I do think LA has some potential but it’s not even the greatest city in its state at the moment. It has many shortcomings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:09 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Explain what is happening there that I don't understand?

I recruit and consult for a living, and speak with creative and marketing talent on a daily basis who are leaving the Chicago area fairly regularly.
Chicago is a major city, and will continue to be a powerful city, but in 20-30 years will it be better overall? It *might* be, but based on what I read and hear, it's a gamble and toss up...
There's not a "slow brain and job drain to the south and west" happening there. According to the statistics, Chicago is gaining educated residents and the job growth is fairly high. Chicago is experiencing net gains in those categories, not net losses.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
I suppose this question will be answered by the selection of the Amazon HQ2.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh ranks second to Chicago in the population loss category. We may even drop under 300,000 in the next census and Cincy may pass us in the population total.
Wrong. Going by percentage, the following cities lost more than Pittsburgh recently (Pittsburgh population has been basically flat -- any gain/loss reported is likely within the margin of error).

Chicago
Detroit
Memphis
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Long Beach
Cleveland
St. Louis
Toledo
Buffalo

All of those are doing worse than Pittsburgh in population loss, a lot of them are doing much worse.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/

Old 05-04-2018, 09:48 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I agree that LA is the best city in North America, but I feel Atlanta has the most potential as well I think the Texas cities will still grow faster, but i think Atlanta is an overall a better city.
LA is not the best city in North America hahahaha. The city is experiencing what could possibly be one of the worst homeless crises in history. There's a chance it could run out of water in the future. The smog is out of control still (it's better, but still insanely polluted). The city is not building nearly enough housing to meet demand. Public transit is seriously lacking. It's the most congested city traffic-wise. Wages are low. LA pays the most on rent based on percentage of income. I'm sure the housing bubble is going to burst there again.

LA has potential, but until it solves its homeless problem, figures out how to pay its residents more, figures out its public transit, figures out its traffic, and gets rid of every last NIMBY, it's not going to get better. If you can't even build tall apartment buildings, how are you going to house everyone and how are rents not going to get even more out of control?

Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's not a "slow brain and job drain to the south and west" happening there. According to the statistics, Chicago is gaining educated residents and the job growth is fairly high. Chicago is experiencing net gains in those categories, not net losses.
Upon further digging and research, I see your point. Chicago does seem to be doing very well in that category. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:32 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Upon further digging and research, I see your point. Chicago does seem to be doing very well in that category. Thanks for the explanation.
No problem. You just have to look beyond the population loss figures to see what's really going on.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Houston!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 07:38 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Houston!!!!!!
I was reading comments on Houston video residents of Houston saying don't move there "we are full" "stay in New York or whatever state you from"

Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Wrong. Going by percentage, the following cities lost more than Pittsburgh recently (Pittsburgh population has been basically flat -- any gain/loss reported is likely within the margin of error).

Chicago
Detroit
Memphis
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Long Beach
Cleveland
St. Louis
Toledo
Buffalo

All of those are doing worse than Pittsburgh in population loss, a lot of them are doing much worse.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/
Your article based it's stats from 2015 and earlier. Pittsburgh had a bump in population in the early 10s but the trend has reversed.

Why Pittsburgh's population is still declining | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.