Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,232,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Cool is such a relative term. Can't define it for other people.
That's the thing, you'll never have an unanimous agreement. Ask 10 people the definition of "cool" and you will likely get 10 different answers. I kinda get what the OP was going after, but more often than not these types of threads/discussions turn into arguments pretty quickly, as evident over the last 10 pages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM

13,962 posts, read 13,732,599 times
North Carolina, Florida, California, Washington State, Texas, Downstate New York, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon

Old 04-20-2018, 01:28 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
No, I've only heard people talk about Huntsville a few times. I know it's involved or was involved with the space race. The fact that it isn't talked about as a cool place proves my point that it doesn't have a national rep for being cool. Regardless, I'm sure it's a nice place.

No, people in most of the country don't talk about SC all the time.
Ok, all I see you doing is making an assertion SC isn't seen as cool. You say your assertion has nothing to do with politics but you don't given any specific reasons for your strong assertion that SC is not considered cool.

One person argued that SC is not seen as cool but he then conceded that Charleston is seen as cool. I have made the point several times that Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach drive the perception of SC outside of the state.

The states and cities you think are seen as cool , like Portland and Asheville, have a liberal reputation. Moreover, I never said those places are not seen as cool by liberals and other people. But they aren't seen as cool by everybody especially conservatives. I'm not sure why you and others can't concede that people with different political views might have a different view of what states and cities are cool.

I reviewed the post history of the others who strongly disagreed with me that SC has a cool reputation, and they had made negative comments about conservatives on other topics. I think it is weird that you act like it can't have anything to do with political views.

You say people in most of country don't talk about SC all the time yet you claim to know what most people think about SC. It is surprising to me a person from Boise has such a strong opinion on how SC is perceived. So you don't think a person who grew up in SC might have more insight into SC than you? Have you ever been to SC?

You project emotions on me. I'm not POed if you don't think SC is cool. I simply disagree with you. I have no obligation to validate your opinions on here.

I never ranked SC 'coolness' relative other states. I said I think SC and other warm weather sunny states have a cool reputation. My post never discussed the states and cities that you think are the coolest. I'm surprised at the reaction this comment got on here.

I'm not sure why you are quoting Glenn Beck. He doesn't think for me and nobody made him the spokesperson for conservatives. Many conservatives think he is weird.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-20-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Here is a NY Times article that has info on how many students enter and leave a state to attend public universities.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...migration.html

SC has one of the highest number of students entering the state to attend public universities, at 6955 students. It doesn't have very many students leaving the state to attend public universities compared to the number of students entering the state.

The number of students coming down to SC is part of my basis that SC has a cool rep among many outside of the state.

The private university Furman, and probably Wofford as well, is also popular with out of state students. Furman will often have 40-50 students from California, for example.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:09 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,608,338 times
States with regressive social policies simply aren't cool, and they'll never been seen as such until they open up to everyone. Inclusivity is cool. States that fight culture wars against people of color, women's rights, and LBGTQ rights aren't cool. That eliminates every state in the south, except for maybe Virginia and Florida.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 PM

I don't think those assertions are factual. For example, you conveniently ignored the fact SC has elected one of 3 black senators in this country, and recently had a female Indian governor. Gay marriage had opposition in states around the country. It lost on referendum in blue states like CA and Mass, and the courts made it legal. It is interesting to me how many people don't seem to know that.

Again, this topic isn't exclusively about what states liberals like you consider cool. Everybody understands that many liberals don't like the south. You don't get to define cool for everybody. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people don't look at everything through a political filter.

I do appreciate your sincerity about why you think SC isn't considered cool.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-20-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 04:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't think those assertions are factual. For example, you conveniently ignored the fact SC has elected one of 3 black senators in this country, and recently had a female Indian governor. Gay marriage had opposition in states around the country. It lost on referendum in blue states like CA and Mass, and the courts made it legal. It is interesting to me how many people don't seem to know that.

Again, this topic isn't exclusively about what states liberals like you consider cool. Everybody understands that many liberals don't like the south. You don't get to define cool for everybody. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people don't look at everything through a political filter.

I do appreciate your sincerity about why you think SC isn't considered cool.
First of all, Tim Scott is a Republican, so that automatically gives him an enormous advantage in being elected in South Carolina. Not to insult Mr. Scott, but you could run just about anyone for office in South Carolina, put an (R) next to their name, and they'd likely be elected. Mr. Scott still represents the regressive interests of the Republican Party, and his record supports this. Second, electing a black representative doesn't necessarily absolve a state of racism. That's essentially the same argument as "I can't be racist, I have a black friend." As for Nikki Haley, she's now Trump's mouthpiece, which is about as regressive as it gets.

Yes, blue states once opposed gay marriage, but that reversed rather swiftly and decisively many years ago, before it was legalized federally.

A state's reputation for being cool has to be viewed through a political filter, to some extent. It's all well and good for a state to have nice beaches, golf courses, or other amenities, but none of those things matter if I can't live there in comfort for fear of some kind of legalized discrimination. I feel like you're making observations from a place of privilege.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM

Ok, I don't want to get into politics with you. You haven't proven that people in SC that you don't know are bigots, simply because they don't have your politics. It is worth noting that the south was run by a different political party in the slavery and segregation era. There are no slavery or segregation policies in SC now. If you are saying that SC is racist, you should be able to point to laws that demonstrate this assertion. The fact that white voters in SC have elected Tim Scott and Nikki Haley does contradict your assertion.

Not having your views on things does not mean that I'm privileged. Your accusations of bigotry are not evidence of bigotry.

A state's reputation doesn't have to be viewed through a political filter. That's up to each individual to decide.

SC is a high tourism state, a high population growth state, a high business growth state, and a state has a lot of students from out of state attending the universities. Seems to be cool enough.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-20-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 11:31 AM

520 posts, read 605,515 times
This whole thread conflates cool with popular. They are different. Orlando and Las Vegas are popular tourist destinations, they are not cool ones. Cool connotes a sense of cutting-edge, distinct from the mainstream, admired by others. What's cool is also always changing. Brooklyn was cool 15 years ago, now it's somewhat more mainstream. If I had to choose states that are cool, I would look to ones that are a bit different, away from the mainstream: places like Hawaii, Montana, and Vermont. Other places with a distinct culture are also cool, like southeast Louisiana, Maine, and New Mexico.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok, I don't want to get into politics with you. You haven't proven that people in SC that you don't know are bigots, simply because they don't have your politics. It is worth noting that the south was run by a different political party in the slavery and segregation era. There are no slavery or segregation policies in SC now. If you are saying that SC is racist, you should be able to point to laws that demonstrate this assertion. The fact that white voters in SC have elected Tim Scott and Nikki Haley does contradict your assertion.

Not having your views on things does not mean that I'm privileged. Your accusations of bigotry are not evidence of bigotry.

A state's reputation doesn't have to be viewed through a political filter. That's up to each individual to decide.

SC is a high tourism state, a high population growth state, a high business growth state, and a state has a lot of students from out of state attending the universities. Seems to be cool enough.
Ever hear of the confederate flag controversies? That alone sets SC back 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.