Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:25 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times

Advertisements

As long as you don't venture out in snowstorms, and your roof is sturdy and preferably steep-ish, the Great Lakes are your best bet for avoiding natural disasters as much as possible.
Western sides of the Great Lakes don't get nearly as much lake effect snow. But they do get below 70 from time to time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereafair View Post
Now...where else can I move in the USA that isn't going to kill me from either hurricanes, humidity, alligators and pythons on the loose, tornado zones, fires, earthquakes, radioactive water, radiation, etc...

Oh also I'd like it to be approximately 70 degrees year round

I'm mostly kidding but only kindof.

Help me decide where to move!

I am looking for something with milder seasons, a family town, decent Real Estate since that's my job, nice people, good schools, not massively densely populated (like 1500 per sq foot is cool with me),..

Whatcha got???
Asheville pretty much fits all of that except for the 70 degree year-round part with a busy real estate market, nice people, very good schools, mildish four seasons and as a city with 85K in population certainly not massive population density.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
The interior south-east or the south-west is probably your best bet. Although either way you're still going to have some of the stuff you listed. Just avoid the Atlantic coast, the fart west and any where north of 40 degrees latitude.
Indeed...the fart west can be quite gusty!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:43 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Asheville pretty much fits all of that except for the 70 degree year-round part with a busy real estate market, nice people, very good schools, mildish four seasons and as a city with 85K in population certainly not massive population density.
I'd also check into surrounding highland towns like Waynesville or Weaverville.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Western NY outside of the cities. The state has a ban on drilling which has helped to preserve the water quality. Very little chance of natural disasters. Low humidity.
It is also contributing to the economic failure of upstate NY. Other states drill with no harm to water, and if there is an environmental impact, they are made to fix it. It gets cold as hell there, with lots of snow, and yes it also gets humid in the summer. I've been there. Pittsburgh is probably better, and that isn't saying much, because south western PA largely sucks.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is also contributing to the economic failure of upstate NY. Other states drill with no harm to water, and if there is an environmental impact, they are made to fix it. It gets cold as hell there, with lots of snow, and yes it also gets humid in the summer. I've been there. Pittsburgh is probably better, and that isn't saying much, because south western PA largely sucks.
I'd say that there are other factors, but there are still jobs to be had for those that have the skills for the openings available.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Something like 12 people died when 7 feet of snow hit the southtowns of Buffalo in November 2014. Note my location. I know that WNY does well on 'susceptibility to natural disaster' rankings but I don't see why debilitating snowstorms shouldn't qualify as 'natural disasters'
I think it may be due to such storms of that magnitude being rare even for Buffalo.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Far northern Alaska! Tropical paradise.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereafair View Post
Now...where else can I move in the USA that isn't going to kill me from either hurricanes, humidity, alligators and pythons on the loose, tornado zones, fires, earthquakes, radioactive water, radiation, etc...

Oh also I'd like it to be approximately 70 degrees year round

I'm mostly kidding but only kindof.

Help me decide where to move!

I am looking for something with milder seasons, a family town, decent Real Estate since that's my job, nice people, good schools, not massively densely populated (like 1500 per sq foot is cool with me),..

Whatcha got???
Not Colorado. We've got everything on your list, although our alligators and pythons aren't loose in the wild but we do have bears and mountain lions. We also have devastating hail and the second highest death by lightning statistics in the entire US.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,133 times
Try Juarez, Mexico. I hear it's very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.