Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these 11 cities each North or South?
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the North 108 67.92%
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the South 23 14.47%
Saint Louis - It's in the North 110 69.18%
Saint Louis - It's in the South 25 15.72%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the North 59 37.11%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the South 66 41.51%
Louisville - It's in the North 18 11.32%
Louisville - It's in the South 125 78.62%
Cincinnati - It's in the North 118 74.21%
Cincinnati - It's in the South 18 11.32%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the North 21 13.21%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the South 115 72.33%
Pittsburgh - It's in the North 138 86.79%
Pittsburgh - It's in the South 1 0.63%
Northern Virginia - It's in the North 81 50.94%
Northern Virginia - It's in the South 61 38.36%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the North 109 68.55%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the South 38 23.90%
Baltimore - It's in the North 113 71.07%
Baltimore - It's in the South 30 18.87%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the North 122 76.73%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the South 9 5.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:31 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
True. But GOOD BBQ is a southern speciality. They might have BBQ in New England but that doesn't mean that it's good. Where are the forests of hickory and mesquite in New England?? That's kind of essential for good BBQ.

Real quote from Paula Deen: "You never hear anyone say, 'Hey, I can't wait to head north so I can eat some of that good Yankee food...' "

Paula has a point.
No Paula sounds like she’s inferior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 06:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
No Paula sounds like she’s inferior
Inferior?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It's not that I'm not listening it's that you are wrong unless you genuinely believe that New York had BBQ heritage and local prominence in the same planet to so North Carolina BBQ.

You are arguing if someone made something somewhere once then it's no longer specific to a region which is incorrect
Good lord; you're in your own little world, aren't you? You are definitely from Massachusetts. We're not even having the same conversation anymore. Not once have you acknowledged a single thing I've said to you in the context with which I presented it.

Wowee wow wow wowzers. This is the first time I've actually been brought to real anger on this site for a loooong time. Congratulations, you're an amazingly frustrating person to speak to. You must be fun at parties.

You're a credit to your people.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I understand the general point btownboss4 is making. There are several dishes with origins in the South that have been 'Americanized' but in some cases, that has been a rather recent thing and those dishes are still strongly associated with the South.

It's all a matter of degree.
Exactly. You can get almost anything anywhere these days, but that doesn't change the regional aspect of it.

There are several places in Glendale, AZ that sell Poutine, and there is a flair to it (some spices) that you don't see in Quebec Poutine, but it would be absurd to say that Poutine isn't a French Canadian dish.

People make BBQ in the north but they do it by either using of slightly altering Southern BBQ.

Texas for example is beef with a Tomato based Sauce, Carolina is usually pork with a vinegar based sauce.

While someone in the Northeast might make a more marinara-type BBQ sauce and slather it on Beef, its still Texas BBQ. Same thing they might use Balsamic vs Rice Vinegar for their Pork Roast, but its still an altered form of NC BBQ not really their own thing.

and ask literally anyone from those states and they will say they don't have real BBQ in say Michigan.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 AM

936 posts, read 822,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Texas for example is beef with a Tomato based Sauce, Carolina is usually pork with a vinegar based sauce.

While someone in the Northeast might make a more marinara-type BBQ sauce and slather it on Beef, its still Texas BBQ. Same thing they might use Balsamic vs Rice Vinegar for their Pork Roast, but its still an altered form of NC BBQ not really their own thing.
Oh dear God, you're obviously out of your element. Thanks for proving my point: People outside of the country's BBQ capitals don't know jack about BBQ. You keep writing about sauce, sauce, and more sauce! Real barbeque has very little to do with BBQ sauce.

First, let me explain my credentials: I'm a native Kansas Citian who has been eating some of the country's best BBQ for more than 50 years. Let's just say that I know the difference between "real maple syrup and Aunt Jemima." You're selling me Aunt Jemima, claiming that it's real maple syrup. I'm not buying it.

REAL BBQ is about smoking meat. The BBQ sauce is a nice accompaniment, but real BBQ doesn't need any sauce at all. It should be able to stand on its own two legs without any sauce. Here in Kansas City some of the best BBQ restaurants smoke their their meat hickory and other fragrant woods for more than 12 to 15 hours. (Slow and low.) The meat is so permeated and seasoned with the wood smoke that you really don't need to touch the BBQ sauce. There is a big difference.

Throwing a slab of meat in a Crockpot and drowning it BBQ sauce is not "real BBQ." It's a travesty.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Oh dear God, you're obviously out of your element. Thanks for proving my point: People outside of the country's BBQ capitals don't know jack about BBQ. You keep writing about sauce, sauce, and more sauce! Real barbeque has very little to do with BBQ sauce.

First, let me explain my credentials: I'm a native Kansas Citian who has been eating some of the country's best BBQ for more than 50 years. Let's just say that I know the difference between "real maple syrup and Aunt Jemima." You're selling me Aunt Jemima, claiming that it's real maple syrup. I'm not buying it.

REAL BBQ is about smoking meat. The BBQ sauce is a nice accompaniment, but real BBQ doesn't need any sauce at all. It should be able to stand on its own two legs without any sauce. Here in Kansas City some of the best BBQ restaurants smoke their their meat hickory and other fragrant woods for more than 12 to 15 hours. (Slow and low.) The meat is so permeated and seasoned with the wood smoke that you really don't need to touch the BBQ sauce. There is a big difference.

Throwing a slab of meat in a Crockpot and drowning it BBQ sauce is not "real BBQ." It's a travesty.
That's kind of what I am saying making superficial changes (like tweaking the sauce) isn't making a new kind of BBQ

Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Some of these cities are midwestern. It may seem odd, but I think of North as being synonymous with Northeastern.
Ummm Minnesota would like a word with you.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:38 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Ummm Minnesota would like a word with you.
I laughed. Wish I could share the tone of voice I read that in.

Not to mention Michigan! A state that was pretty much created by New Yorkers, and has the town names to prove it.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Who are these folks putting a town in Illinois and a town in Ohio in the South? Weird.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Who are these folks putting a town in Illinois and a town in Ohio in the South? Weird.
I guess it would be weird if you think state borders are also hard cultural borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.