Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these 11 cities each North or South?
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the North 108 67.92%
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the South 23 14.47%
Saint Louis - It's in the North 110 69.18%
Saint Louis - It's in the South 25 15.72%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the North 59 37.11%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the South 66 41.51%
Louisville - It's in the North 18 11.32%
Louisville - It's in the South 125 78.62%
Cincinnati - It's in the North 118 74.21%
Cincinnati - It's in the South 18 11.32%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the North 21 13.21%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the South 115 72.33%
Pittsburgh - It's in the North 138 86.79%
Pittsburgh - It's in the South 1 0.63%
Northern Virginia - It's in the North 81 50.94%
Northern Virginia - It's in the South 61 38.36%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the North 109 68.55%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the South 38 23.90%
Baltimore - It's in the North 113 71.07%
Baltimore - It's in the South 30 18.87%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the North 122 76.73%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the South 9 5.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Wonder why the FL panhandle doesn't get biscuits? Southern culture there, at least away from the tourist areas of the Gulf Coast.
Regardless of the map, Missouri got both biscuits and McMuffins... we were still a border state, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:45 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
The old joke used to be in Boston if you are from past Baltimore you entered the Deep South.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I did see a great series called Frontiersmen, I think on National Geo ,which showed the great Daniel Boone exploring the Kentucky wilderness, that nailed it as a southern state. I have always thought Kentucky with its Derby, same as British racing Derby, had a British Isles feel as with much of the South plus copious tea drinking ( as Britain and Ireland) Ohio though even as a Brit would be clear Northern . There is a blurred border by the look of it
Daniel Boone is fascinating but not much of a southern icon. He was born in Pennsylvania to a family of Quakers. He was his own man and a frontiersman and Indian fighter who eventually left the US to start over in Spanish-owned Missouri and became a local official there. The US expansion caught up with him and he was hounded by debtors who he thought he had left behind, He died in Missouri (territory) in 1820. Had he been born a generation or two later he probably would have been exploring with Lewis and Clark or Zebulon Pike or a western Mountain Man/trapper.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Just not purely geographic ones. The southern part of New Jersey is due east of DC.

But anyway, take a look at the poll results.

Only the very extreme southern tip of NJ is east of DC, around Cape May. 99.5% of the state is further north.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Only the very extreme southern tip of NJ is east of DC, around Cape May. 99.5% of the state is further north.
I just find it interesting that a portion of the state of New Jersey is parallel (East) to DC, as we talk about pure geography (not political or cultural geography) in reference to DC's location on the East Coast.

I think DC political and cultural-influenced geography has a place to be debated, but pure planetary geography definitely shows some things as well in relation to DC's location in the United States.

I know this thread is about culture, for which DC doesn't fit neatly into North or South. Just advocating for Mid-Atlantic designation, which seems more appropriate. DC has a geographical Mid-Atlantic location as well as representing cultural Mid-Atlantic traits. Wink.

Last edited by revitalizer; 05-22-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I just find it interesting that a portion of the state of New Jersey is parallel (East) to DC, as we talk about pure geography (not political or cultural geography) in reference to DC's location on the East Coast.

I think DC political and cultural-influenced geography has a place to be debated, but pure planetary geography definitely shows some things as well in relation to DC's location in the United States.

I know this thread is about culture, for which DC doesn't fit neatly into North or South. Just advocating for Mid-Atlantic designation, which seems more appropriate. DC has a geographical Mid-Atlantic location as well as representing cultural Mid-Atlantic traits. Wink.
There is already a Mid-Atlantic thread and that designation itself is extremely complicated.

I consider the Mid-Atlantic to be split into North and South as well.

North Mid-Atlantic is New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware, with the New York-Philadelphia corridor as the core.

South Mid-Atlantic is Maryland, DC, Virginia and West Virginia, with the Baltimore-Washington corridor as the core.

Add New England into the mix and those three form the 'Northeast'

But a lot of people consider the Mid-Atlantic to be a subset of the North. As such, no Southern state (Virginia) could be a part of it.

As for your first sentence, Virginia is more Western than West Virginia. In fact, there are parts of Virginia to the West of Detroit and Columbus, OH (two Mid-West states). So if this were purely geographical, does that make Virginia Mid-West? When you get into geography, there are some quirky results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.