Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Respectfully disagree. I found December, January, and February to be harsh but still enough to do in terms of winter sports. We get enough snow for all of the good stuff you can do in the UP. The rest were decent with good amounts of snow up until late March for snow activities. April is the awkward month of Snud (Snow and Mud). The rest are pretty decent. There is plenty to do year round if you know how to dress.

Weather isn’t listed as a criteria probably because people have different preferences.
Yes, people have different preferences for weather, but most people's preferences tend towards mild, or at least moderate. Witness the growth of the sunbelt.

Since the OP said cities >200,000 I will point out the farthest north cities of that size from west to east in each row of states, excluding the west coast, which has a totally different climate. Boise, ID; Denver; Omaha, NE; Minneapolis; Milwaukee; Detroit; Cleveland; Pittsburgh; Buffalo, NY; Rochester, NY; Boston. The following northern states have no cities >200,000 people in their entirety-Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maine; New Hampshire; Vermont, Rhode Island (though RI is south of Boston). I think this indicates a preference for somewhat warmer climates. Duluth doesn't even have 100,000 people.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-04-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Atlanta.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:10 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Richmond

Old 05-05-2018, 07:18 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, people have different preferences for weather, but most people's preferences tend towards mild, or at least moderate. Witness the growth of the sunbelt.

Since the OP said cities >200,000 I will point out the farthest north cities of that size from west to east in each row of states, excluding the west coast, which has a totally different climate. Boise, ID; Denver; Omaha, NE; Minneapolis; Milwaukee; Detroit; Cleveland; Pittsburgh; Buffalo, NY; Rochester, NY; Boston. The following northern states have no cities >200,000 people in their entirety-Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maine; New Hampshire; Vermont, Rhode Island (though RI is south of Boston). I think this indicates a preference for somewhat warmer climates. Duluth doesn't even have 100,000 people.
We should leave it to the OP to clarify his/her qualification for population. Duluth MSA is about 270,000 people. If we are strictly talking city limits, I will concede. I do note that Minneapolis only has an official population of about 410,000 making it smaller than even Sacramento. No one is about to make the claim that Minneapolis for all intents and purposes is smaller than Sacramento except by technicality.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
We should leave it to the OP to clarify his/her qualification for population. Duluth MSA is about 270,000 people. If we are strictly talking city limits, I will concede. I do note that Minneapolis only has an official population of about 410,000 making it smaller than even Sacramento. No one is about to make the claim that Minneapolis for all intents and purposes is smaller than Sacramento except by technicality.
Every city has its unique features, e.g. Minneapolis has its twin St. Paul right next door; you don't know you're in a different city unless you see a sign or you know where the boundary changes. You can argue some of these till the cows come home. For example, I left off Salt Lake City b/c it doesn't have 200,000 people in its city limits though for all intents and purposes, it's a "large" city.

My point was more that there are not many large cities in the coldest areas of the US.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:55 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Respectfully disagree. I found December, January, and February to be harsh but still enough to do in terms of winter sports. We get enough snow for all of the good stuff you can do in the UP. The rest were decent with good amounts of snow up until late March for snow activities. April is the awkward month of Snud (Snow and Mud). The rest are pretty decent. There is plenty to do year round if you know how to dress.

Weather isn’t listed as a criteria probably because people have different preferences.
Yeah, I was going to include weather, but exactly--people have different preferences. Many incredible cities do have robust 4 seasons, so I feel like if a city hits all these marks, weather is manageable...

Old 05-05-2018, 08:57 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
I meant 200,000 city population only and greater, for this discussion. However, metros would be an interesting topic for another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.