Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM

123 posts, read 210,125 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Eugene, OR and was checking the town out. I really like it here, but I'm a little unsure about settling. The rents are cheaper than most areas of Oregon, but the jobs aren't plentiful for lower skilled workers. I'm trying to start over again. I lost my job in marketing. The rent in Provo is incredibly cheap and the city has been named one of the best in the country for jobs. Do you think this is a smart idea? Or should I stay in Eugene and fight it out? From what I've seen a lot of places aren't even hiring now because the students are going home. Some jobs are the opposite but pay is minimal.

Also, I'm very wary of highway driving at this point. If anyone has made the trek from Eugene to Provo or Salt Lake please let me know the recommended route. I can't stand to drive more than 4 hours at a time. 6 at the most. When I travelled cross country I could do much longer drives, but I'm simply worn out now. I came up to Oregon after living in LA. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Those two cities are night and day different. I agree you should go where the work is, just be aware you will likely experience major culture shock.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 AM

You're right. I'm already having second thoughts. It's very hard picking up and moving.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
I'm currently in Eugene, OR and was checking the town out. I really like it here, but I'm a little unsure about settling. The rents are cheaper than most areas of Oregon, but the jobs aren't plentiful for lower skilled workers. I'm trying to start over again. I lost my job in marketing. The rent in Provo is incredibly cheap and the city has been named one of the best in the country for jobs. Do you think this is a smart idea? Or should I stay in Eugene and fight it out? From what I've seen a lot of places aren't even hiring now because the students are going home. Some jobs are the opposite but pay is minimal.

Also, I'm very wary of highway driving at this point. If anyone has made the trek from Eugene to Provo or Salt Lake please let me know the recommended route. I can't stand to drive more than 4 hours at a time. 6 at the most. When I travelled cross country I could do much longer drives, but I'm simply worn out now. I came up to Oregon after living in LA. Thank you.
It's easier to sit scared and struggle but is that really how you want to live? Change is hard (especially as we get older) but sometimes we have to dig deep to find some courage. I'm not sure though why you're focused on Provo as Salt Lake City (just 45 miles to the north) is about equally as "cheap", offers much more in the way of jobs (still at just 2.5% unemployment versus Provo's 2.1%) and would be much less of an adjustment from Eugene. SLC is actually surprisingly liberal and offers plenty to do as well. I haven't made the 12 hour trip before but would think if you could split it up with the 6 hour 45 minute drive to Ontario OR (on I-84 north of Boise to stay overnight) and finish the remaining 5 and a half hours or so south to Salt Lake City it wouldn't be such a bad trip. Just make plenty of stops to stretch your legs or stop for food/coffee/etc.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I've never been there, but my impression of Provo is it's very, very, very Mormon and family oriented. SLC really isn't these days, because so many people have moved there from outside (and a lot of ex-Mormons move there). But if you're a single, non-Mormon guy Provo might be a very lonely place to be.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:11 PM

11,092 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Why Provo? Especially since you are in Eugene, OR currently. I'd like to hear that. Sounds like a dart was thrown at a map.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:53 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
When I lived in Portland I knew someone from Provo. He lived in Portland because he could no longer take Prove. or for that mattter Utah. He wasn't Morman and that seemed listening to him, his major fault with the region. He said he just never fit in, and left when he could. He ended up having a difficult time finding employment in Oregon, and I heard took a job in Calif.

So my advice to you is follow your instincts on this decision. Use the info your receiving on these replies to help where they can. Don't however use them to completely make the decision. Only you know you and how you would adjust to a locale,

If it were me and I don't know your age. If I'm in need of work I would go where my chances of finding work are the best. If you decide Eugene Or Oregon isn't going to fit the bill work wise, then I'd say good bye to the state. If Utah is more to your liking, and the Personality of Provo might not be for you. Then I would go with Salt Lake. Granted Salt Lake City is in Utah, but for some reason is not nearly as conservative as people would think. There definitely are areas that are, because it sure as hell is not Eugene or Portland. However is a rather nice city and area, where you will probably have more options both work wise and socially. Only real problem is that nasty inversion layer in the winter.

So do this take some downtime in Eugene, where you get a rest from driving. Don't overburden yourself with where you should go. Walk around on the local trails, go to a gym if you like to workout, go to a restaurant if you can. Just relax for a few days and clear your head. I think you will be better able to make your decision after this downtime. I think you will know what to do, and be comfortable with your decision.

Best of Luck. Let everyone know what you decided and how you are.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times
RUN to Provo!

I used to live in Provo some time ago. Rents are cheap. You could even find room to rents for like $300 a month. Mountains surround the city. Hot during the summer (some days like 105 degrees), cold during the winter. Big student population. Some construction going on. Alot of outdoor activities. And it's one of the safest areas in the U.S.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's easier to sit scared and struggle but is that really how you want to live? Change is hard (especially as we get older) but sometimes we have to dig deep to find some courage. I'm not sure though why you're focused on Provo as Salt Lake City (just 45 miles to the north) is about equally as "cheap", offers much more in the way of jobs (still at just 2.5% unemployment versus Provo's 2.1%) and would be much less of an adjustment from Eugene. SLC is actually surprisingly liberal and offers plenty to do as well. I haven't made the 12 hour trip before but would think if you could split it up with the 6 hour 45 minute drive to Ontario OR (on I-84 north of Boise to stay overnight) and finish the remaining 5 and a half hours or so south to Salt Lake City it wouldn't be such a bad trip. Just make plenty of stops to stretch your legs or stop for food/coffee/etc.
I'm not actually from Eugene nor Oregon. I've only been here a week checking out the different cities. What I'm finding in Eugene is that the college students get all the jobs. Many of them stay over the summer, too. And some businesses don't even hire during the summer because they lose some of the college student business. The jobs here in Eugene that are abundant are in care giving and truckers. I think I should move on to Utah at this point. Oregon in general seems like a losing battle. Portland would offer more oppurtunities but with higher rent. I could try SLC, yes. I just couldn't get over those $300/month rent prices in Provo. See for yourself on rentler.com. That's the site they use in that area.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

So do this take some downtime in Eugene, where you get a rest from driving. Don't overburden yourself with where you should go. Walk around on the local trails, go to a gym if you like to workout, go to a restaurant if you can. Just relax for a few days and clear your head. I think you will be better able to make your decision after this downtime. I think you will know what to do, and be comfortable with your decision.

Best of Luck. Let everyone know what you decided and how you are.
Thank you. My downtime in Eugene has come to an end. Even though I still on the fence about what to do i've got to go. As I mentioned in a previous post there are many obstacles similar to what your friend found here. I'll shoot for Utah, and if I really don't like it I could move on. Minneapolis is also on my list. Rent a little higher there, though. Des Moines, too. Or Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.