Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I live in Texas and want to move out of state at some point.I am considering several states.I dont know if i should live out of state due to state taxes or if i should just vacation a lot instead of moving.I am a man who is a millenial.I am church of Christ but I would be fine taking communion with another church of Christ member every sunday if there werent many good churches of Christ around.Your input would be much appreciated.Thanks everybody.God bless

Last edited by C24L; 05-07-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,260,538 times
I would say do it.

The real question is what do you want from the experience? There are different subcultures in the US and some are more compatible than others. If you want something thats different enough, but not totally alien from West Texas, go with the mountain west or the south. Both would be plenty different, but you will find plenty of people who hunt and fish there.

If you don't mind being different, and want a totally new experience a North East or Pacific State. If you pick a big city just be ready to accept that most people aren't gun owners and aren't religious.

My home town of Boise has a Church of Christ church, and it's only a medium sized metro area, so I imagine you can find that in any decent sized city.

For me personally I think it's really a good experience to live somewhere different instead of just visiting. I always liked my hometown, but wanted to see something new. At this point, I've seen most of the lower 48, and semi lived in /spent summers in Alaska, California, and Europe and while I've liked some things about every place I've visited or lived, the wider range of experiences helped me appreciate things about where I was from and about myself in ways that I hadn't before.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Why would you avoid leaving and stay in the same state just because of state taxes? Few areas would make a big enough difference that it should trap you somewhere else, it's not like Texas doesn't have taxes. Usually places with higher taxes also tend to have somewhat higher wages. Either way you said money is no object.....

Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,150 times
While you may move to a place with income tax, you may find lower property or sales tax. Look at the entire package based on what you have and do and are looking to replicate. If you own nothing that is taxed but your income, then maybe you should stay or only consider Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Washington, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and Tennessee .

Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
High tax states have an average burden of 10%, places like California, Illinois, New Jersey, etc. Texas has a burden of 8.15% so really you only see less than a 2% difference, which is a difference but it's not something the average person is going to even notice much of the time.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why would you avoid leaving and stay in the same state just because of state taxes? Few areas would make a big enough difference that it should trap you somewhere else, it's not like Texas doesn't have taxes. Usually places with higher taxes also tend to have somewhat higher wages. Either way you said money is no object.....
ya thanks for your advice Chicago but the no income tax thing could make a huge difference with my high income from business.I wont be an employee.I figure the difference might be better served investing due to compound interest and growing my businesses than going to taxes but thats just me.Thanks again.I am still contemplating

Last edited by C24L; 05-22-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everybody,
I live in Texas and want to move out of state at some point.I am considering several states.I dont know if i should live out of state due to state taxes or if i should just vacation a lot instead of moving.I am a man who is a millenial.I am church of Christ but I would be fine taking communion with another church of Christ member every sunday if there werent many good churches of Christ around.Your input would be much appreciated.Thanks everybody.God bless
Washington? They also don't have income taxes but the religious community is a bit smaller than Texas but you'll probably find the right church if you look hard enough.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
ya thanks for your advice Chicago but the no income tax thing could make a huge difference with my high income from business.I wont be an employee.I figure the difference might be better served investing due to compound interest and growing my businesses than going to taxes but thats just me.Thanks again.I am still contemplating
Your "high income from business" is bracketed and as already pointed out staying to grow it in a state with no tax over a state with moderate taxes, could mean a difference many more times higher than a random rate of taxation numbering in the low to middle single digits. NC (3%), SC (5%), FL (5.5%) and GA (6%) are examples of places that would be a good fit where booming metro economies like Raleigh-Durham & Charlotte NC, Charleston, Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg SC, Jacksonville or Cape Coral-Fort Myers FL and Atlanta GA would seemingly fit your interests best...plus provide plenty of business growth opportunity within a new environment.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your "high income from business" is bracketed and as already pointed out staying to grow it in a state with no tax over a state with moderate taxes, could mean a difference many more times higher than a random rate of taxation numbering in the low to middle single digits. NC (3%), SC (5%), FL (5.5%) and GA (6%) are examples of places that would be a good fit where booming metro economies like Raleigh-Durham & Charlotte NC, Charleston, Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg SC, Jacksonville or Cape Coral-Fort Myers FL and Atlanta GA would seemingly fit your interests best...plus provide plenty of business growth opportunity within a new environment.
hello Kyle thanks for your input. Thanks for the suggestions on places to live but I would prefer Arizona and/or New Mexico to those places.Thanks anyways.I would not want to live in Atlanta but thanks.

Last edited by C24L; 06-28-2018 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
If it is really important to you, finding a church you like and feel comfortable in after relocating is harder than you might think. It's like wearing someone else's clothes or your shoes on the wrong feet until you find the right place or adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.