Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times

Advertisements

We don't "register" political party in Georgia. In the primaries you simply pick up the ballot of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 PM

513 posts, read 576,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I prefer being friends with people who will support my human rights.
Fair enough and that's certainly your prerogative. It sounds like your beef is not so much with misconceptions of the south, or even people from the south, it's with people who vote differently than you think they should. It seems to me if there is ever any hope for our country going forward we all need to find a way to come to terms with the fact there there are a significant portion of Americans who feel and think very differently than we ourselves do about many specific issues that we all hold dear. I also think most people holding those views truly don't hold them with malice, hatred, or a desire to hurt others. Some do no doubt, but I don't think that's true of most. As a conservative, I probably vote differently than most of your friends in NY, IL, MA, CA, NJ, and the other states you mentioned. I would probably disagree with your stance on certain issues, but you are free to (and should) vote according to your conscience, as I do. As a conservative, you may not like the way I vote and may even make assumptions about me as a person and what my intents are. I can tell you that I do not feel or intend hate for any one or group, I do not have a phobia of any person or group, I do not want to promote any gender or race as dominant over another - none of the things conservatives are often accused of. If I ran into you in a grocery store I may very well say hello and "how are you?" If you really wanted to tell me I would be happy to listen. At the end of the day we are all human beings and being cordial, engaging in face to face greetings, being able to shop and work together means more to me than how people vote. Everyone has a story beyond their voting styles and we only get a few moments with most people we cross paths with. Surely we can take those moments as an opportunity to recognize the humanity within them regardless of their beliefs or how they vote.

Last edited by distortedlogic; 06-25-2018 at 09:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
All this gaslighting...I guess you’re one of those conservative types who thinks that equal rights means that something will be taken from you as a white male? Everything isn’t a zero-sum game as many of you think it is.
Nope. Not even close.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have an aunt who a few years ago looked up which party everyone was registered with and sent a group email ratting out the handful of Democrats. The goal was to intimidate people.
Wow. Is that even legal?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Fair enough and that's certainly your prerogative. It sounds like your beef is not so much with misconceptions of the south, or even people from the south, it's with people who vote differently than you think they should. It seems to me if there is ever any hope for our country going forward we all need to find a way to come to terms with the fact there there are a significant portion of Americans who feel and think very differently than we ourselves do about many specific issues that we all hold dear. I also think most people holding those views truly don't hold them with malice, hatred, or a desire to hurt others. Some do no doubt, but I don't think that's true of most. As a conservative, I probably vote differently than most of your friends in NY, IL, MA, CA, NJ, and the other states you mentioned. I would probably disagree with your stance on certain issues, but you are free to (and should) vote according to your conscience, as I do. As a conservative, you may not like the way I vote and may even make assumptions about me as a person and what my intents are. I can tell you that I do not feel or intend hate for any one or group, I do not have a phobia of any person or group, I do not want to promote any gender or race as dominant over another - none of the things conservatives are often accused of. If I ran into you in a grocery store I may very well say hello and "how are you?" If you really wanted to tell me I would be happy to listen. At the end of the day we are all human beings and being cordial, engaging in face to face greetings, being able to shop and work together means more to me than how people vote. Everyone has a story beyond their voting styles and we only get a few moments with most people we cross paths with. Surely we can take those moments as an opportunity to recognize the humanity within them regardless of their beliefs or how they vote.
So if you were black would you want to be friends with people who DON'T support your rights?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Everyone has some racism in them even in liberal cities like NYC and LA a lot of Asians and Latinos hate blacks. It happens everywhere. People need to move on with their lives. It is also a worldwide problem.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Everyone has some racism in them even in liberal cities like NYC and LA a lot of Asians and Latinos hate blacks. It happens everywhere. People need to move on with their lives. It is also a worldwide problem.
I wonder,, do you know why that is? Why do Asians and Latinos hate blacks? Just curious They don't hate white's or have any racism towards whites at all? Interesting,,, have heard this though

Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Don't get me wrong, every one is not like that but a lot are...
I'll just have to take your word for it because that hasn't been my experience at all.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A belief that if you don't like someone it's perfectly ok to treat them like dirt in public? Proper southern mama's shudder at the thought, lol.
You're not kidding.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So if you were black would you want to be friends with people who DON'T support your rights?
I'm black and don't consider myself conservative but I most certainly do not believe that Hillary Clinton supports my rights. I also believe that you can't definitively say why someone votes the way they do. To me, as a black man, I have trouble understanding how other black men could vote for Hillary Clinton given her history of supporting harsh prison sentencing on black men, her past support of the prison industrial complex, and her implementation of community policing in black communities. She called black children super predators and in the same breath said that it didn't matter how they got that way. That doesn't mean that I will stop being friends with anyone black who voted for her. I don't know why they voted for her. It could be one small part of their life that she promised to make better. It is not any of my business. Its the same way with those on the right. Just because they voted for someone you don't agree with doesn't mean you know why they voted.

Last edited by mpier015; 06-26-2018 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.