Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:31 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,138 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago, I posted two threads on misconceptions about the Coasts. So, now I want to know what misconceptions do people have about the South? It doesn't matter if you're a lifelong resident or a transplant. How do you feel about those misconceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
The misconception that hospitality is 'being fake friendly'. Who are these clueless people that don't realize that being polite and courteous is not the same as offering to be your bff after chatting for ten minutes?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
I love when my friends in good old upstate NY ask if the south is up to date in terms of technology. Always makes me laugh. Upstate NY was the last place in the country to get Uber and they seriously wonder if where I live is some remote land of non-advancement.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Flat Out Racism. Maybe in a very few extremely rural areas where thinking hasn't changed in years due to lack of outside understanding, education, and technology. It's a dying breed down there because of how integrated it's gotten over the years.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:25 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Flat Out Racism. Maybe in a very few extremely rural areas where thinking hasn't changed in years due to lack of outside understanding, education, and technology. It's a dying breed down there because of how integrated it's gotten over the years.
Overt racism may be fading, but covert racism is still rampant, and arguably more dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I love when my friends in good old upstate NY ask if the south is up to date in terms of technology. Always makes me laugh. Upstate NY was the last place in the country to get Uber and they seriously wonder if where I live is some remote land of non-advancement.
North Carolina is definitely more advanced than a state like KY, though. When I moved there in 2014, not a single friend had used Lyft or Uber so I was spreading my share code like herpes and had basically a year of free rides.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
My contribution is southern hospitality. Wow. Great. You said "good morning" to me in a grocery store when I didn't feel like speaking to anyone before my coffee. Congrats, you held up an entire line of people paying at a restaurant because you had to tell the cashier about that one time someone was slightly rude to you at another store. I. Don't. Care. Thank you so so so much for asking me how my day is, but then voicing ultra-conservative rhetoric in the privacy of your home and voting against the advancements of minorities at the polls.

I don't need someone to be nice to my face. I want genuine friends who can be aholes when needed, but who support my endeavors and the rights of all minorities. I had plenty of people that were nice to my face in the south, but nobody wanted to be my friend. All my friends in the south were other transplants, and I make friends easily in other parts of the country.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:30 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,507 times
I don't find the racism to be any worse than anywhere else. I lived in Boston and NYC they have a lot of racism people in those cities even thou they are know for being socially tolerant. South is too hot and humid is the biggest complaint I have heard from transplants here and it mostly true in the summer the fall and spring is nice here.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:00 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Misconceptions, not complaints.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
My contribution is southern hospitality. Wow. Great. You said "good morning" to me in a grocery store when I didn't feel like speaking to anyone before my coffee. Congrats, you held up an entire line of people paying at a restaurant because you had to tell the cashier about that one time someone was slightly rude to you at another store. I. Don't. Care. Thank you so so so much for asking me how my day is, but then voicing ultra-conservative rhetoric in the privacy of your home and voting against the advancements of minorities at the polls.

I don't need someone to be nice to my face. I want genuine friends who can be aholes when needed, but who support my endeavors and the rights of all minorities. I had plenty of people that were nice to my face in the south, but nobody wanted to be my friend. All my friends in the south were other transplants, and I make friends easily in other parts of the country.
Are you sure you didn't live in Wyoming? That's how it is there.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
I am 40. I grew up in SC and I lived here most of life except for 3.5 years. I can't recall strangers trying to strike up a conversation with me in grocery stores and other places in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.