Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

The weather in the South is overrated. More severe thunderstorms, more tornadoes, more hurricanes, more extreme heat and humidity, more drought and wildfires...but hey, there's less snow and clouds in the winter, so I guess that makes all the aforementioned bull**** worth it!

By the way, the average low temperature in Atlanta in January is freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The weather in the South is overrated. More severe thunderstorms, more tornadoes, more hurricanes, more extreme heat and humidity, more drought and wildfires...but hey, there's less snow and clouds in the winter, so I guess that makes all the aforementioned bull**** worth it!

Ergo this thread.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

LOL...you act like these are uniform weather events across the entirety of the South. It's a big a$$ region, what do you expect?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:

Compared to where?

Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
No, folks, it's not like Mayberry or To Kill A Mockingbird down here. Sorry.

I know it's already been mentioned, but I want to chime in to reiterate the whole "people being nice in the South is fake." No - it's what they've been raised to consider GOOD MANNERS. It's ETIQUETTE. Just because they're friendly to you doesn't mean they want to be your best man at your wedding, or your birthing coach, or whatever. They're being polite. It's not "fake." They (we) consider it rude to be, well, rude. Sure, we may be thinking "Wow, what not to wear," when we see you, but we're not going to say "Hey, that looks like crap on you." Because that would be rude, not real. Just because something is true doesn't mean it always needs to be SAID.

Another thing - the pace of life in smaller metros. Take it into consideration and don't wait till the last minute and then expect everyone else to hurry up because you're overbooked or whatever. What's that old military saying? Oh, that's right - "Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part." When you KNOW that people are going to be friendly and laid back, plan accordingly. That's what I do when I visit other parts of the country or the world - I don't expect the locals to adhere to my own pace or my values. Those are MY norms, not theirs. It would be rude of me to expect people in, say, New York or Maine or Washington state to adapt to me when I'm the visitor or transplant and they've been born and bred there.

Diversity makes the world go 'round. Differences can be charming, appealing, quirky, fun - roll with it!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
^^^Amen, sister!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 AM

824 posts, read 705,060 times
the south is known for their own branch of genetic science.

nice place to visit but a full time buy in would be a step down.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
the south is known for their own branch of genetic science.

nice place to visit but a full time buy in would be a step down.
Compared to where people like you live?

Old 05-11-2018, 03:54 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Other than the usual misconceptions, one I hate, especially about this website, is the assumption that only the south has wild sprawl. Sprawl is an American trait, not a sunbelt south one. And southern cities have downtowns, cores, and dense areas. Some people act like cities in other regions are tightly packed all over, while southern cities are just giant suburbs.

Yes Charlotte has sprawl, but so does Denver. Atlanta has sprawl, and so does Philadephia. Orlando is sprawled, but so is Minneapolis. Nashville has sprawl, and yet so does Cleveland. Even New York has sprawl, how else would the region cover 3 states. Have you seen Long Island? It's a giant island of sprawl. Staten Island is an island of sprawl. Doesn't matter if there's a commuter train or whatever, it's still sprawl.

The Salt Lake metro has 1.1 million people, but not even 200k of those live in the city. That's literal sprawl up and down I-15. The south is accused of letting cities "grow wild" and be "too suburban", but it's more America letting cities do that, ever since the rise of the automobile. Density, age, and transportation aside, there's no big difference between Houston and Boston. Once you get out of the cores, it's just a sea of radiating suburbs with cars, Applebees', and Targets.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL...you act like these are uniform weather events across the entirety of the South. It's a big a$$ region, what do you expect?
Exceptions to the rule don't disprove the rule. Just because Virginia doesn't get blown to pieces by tornadoes doesn't mean that "Dixie Alley" doesn't exist. Just because Tennessee is too far inland to bear the brunt of hurricanes doesn't mean that anyplace within 200 miles of the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico is safe. Just because the summer heat is neither as persistent nor as extreme on top of the mountains doesn't mean that it can't get dangerously hot for extended periods of time literally everywhere else in the South. For that matter, as cold as the average morning low temperature is in Atlanta in January, it's even colder in Charlotte, Nashville and Little Rock, among other Southern cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Compared to where?
The Northeast, for one. How often do you hear about wildfires and water shortages in New York or Pennsylvania?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.