Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2018, 08:35 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It seems like every topic about the south on here, you are a featured poster, even though you live in Denver. Everything you say about the south is based on your politics.

I think it upset you and other people on here that I said I think SC is seen as cool by a significant number of people. You def. got contentious about it. YOu seem to think everybody views the world through your political filter.

YOu just called me stubborn and a 'proud' southerner although nothing I said had anything to do with me being from the south. You are clearly disgruntled about the south. It is surprising to me a person in Denver is thinking about the south at all. What does it have to do with you...
I'm flattered that you think I'm a featured poster, but I look at myself as a regular Joe on the board. Also, you seem to think I'm a liberal. I'm not.

Being proud is a good thing.

And I can tell you're triggered, for that I apologize. I never meant to offend. Cyberhug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
That home in Maryland would be 600k easy.
Was a big factor in me leaving the DC area. It makes Denver look cheap.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:44 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
IDK pay and property tax for half of New Hampshire seems a bit disproportionate. Vermont has high home values especially close to Burlington.

Pay takes a dip in Maine and home prices stay consistent with New England States.
Which is why I stated what I said about select areas in northern New England...

Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Doesn't more criminals make it less safe? How does having more people in general change that?
More criminals in terms of raw numbers but there are also far more potentials victims...those additional criminals aren't all focusing on you. The crime rate tells you the likelihood, based on actual data, of a given individual becoming a victim if crime in a given year.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush
The crime rate tells you the likelihood, based on actual data, of a given individual becoming a victim if crime in a given year.
The per capita statistic isn't a probability of being a victim of a crime. It is simply the total number of crimes divided by the total number of residents in the metro or state.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The per capita statistic isn't a probability of being a victim of a crime. It is simply the total number of crimes divided by the total number of residents in the metro or state.
Which gives you the probability of being a victim of a crime. If there are 22 murders per one hundred thousand people per year that is your probability of becoming a murder victim. Of course the total crime rate may be skewed by a single victim of many crimes...i.e. Wal-Mart and shoplifting...but the rates for violent crimes in particular do give you a really good picture of your likelihood of becoming a victim of such a crime.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It isn't a probability of being a victim of a crime.
Yes, it is...at least for mist violent crimes. If there are 22 murders per hundred thousand people per year in a city....then your likelihood of being a murder victim is one out of one hundred thousand divided by 22.
As I said the rate for property crimes is skewed by the fact that a small number of victims... department stores and shoplifting, for instance..are the victims of a large number of the crimes.
But...for violent crimes in particular it gives you a pretty accurate view of your likelihood of falling victim to that particular crime.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:12 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Most people who move to the south have a job lined up prior to moving, unless they are retired.

The fact the south is seeing a population boom is evidence that the jobs in the south pay well.
If you're white collar, maybe. Not blue collar. My current hourly wage in the same type of job would probably be at least 2-3 dollars less per hour in the southeast. Maybe it'd be the same in DFW or Austin but housing costs tho.

Cheaper housing is a bigger factor, and even then it's not that cheap with the exception of a few metros. When you factor in utilities it can be worse. For the flak I give Philly and Pittsburgh you don't have to struggle to find a studio apartment for $600, even in the burbs. Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and Dallas, you'd be lucky to find one for that amount that's not in the hood.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Ok. I understand the cost of living in lower in the south than other areas but that doesn't mean the salaries are not competitive. Salaries are inflated in some areas due to the high cost of living.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Ok. I understand the cost of living in lower in the south than other areas but that doesn't mean the salaries are not competitive. Salaries are inflated in some areas due to the high cost of living.
Cost of living isn’t necessarily lower in the South, as it will depend on the areas you are comparing. Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in - Capitol Report - MarketWatch
http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

https://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/reg...df/rpp0617.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.