Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 01:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I agree with you, and I'm sure the data would handily back you up. However, I think the reality is that while surely southern/western states are growing the fastest, I think the more accurate thing in general to say is the cheaper states are growing the fastest, which makes a lot more sense. Like I said before, even California, which has seen rapid increases in population over the past few decades, is starting to lose a lot of people to Arizona, Texas, and Washington. Reason? I'd argue it isn't so much the weather, but those places are the nearest cheaper alternatives.
Seven of the top ten fastest growing metro areas are in the southeastern US. That means three aren't - those are in Colorado, Oregon and Utah. Sixteen of the top twenty are in the southern US. Out of that top twenty, six are in Florida, four are in Texas, two are in South Carolina, two are in North Carolina, and one is surprisingly in Arkansas and one in Alabama (wow, did not know that!). Boise, ID has some good growth too.

In the top ten metro areas ranked by population - in growth rates those are as follows:

Houston 18.19 %
Dallas 17.33 %
Atlanta 12.55 %
Miami 11.40 %
Washington DC 10.89 %
(all ten percent and above - and four of those five are in the southern states, with DC on the border and sort of in a league of it's own anyway)
The rest are from 7 or so percent down to .40 percent in growth:
Boston 7.09 %
Los Angeles 3.61 %
Philadelphia 2.20 %
NYC 2.11 %
And rounding out the bottom with less than 1 percent growth - Chicago, at .40 percent.

I just thought that was all very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Dunno, I moved North.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Heat and humidity is very uncomfortable regardless. Try 80F at midnight outside, stifling with AC on inside. The northern tier has the better climate. The absurd anti-cold bias in the US never ends.
Better, to you. And 80 at midnight is nothing. We're typically anywhere from 90 to 105 at that hour in July and August, though with low humidity. Just last night, I walked my dogs at midnight and it was 92°, humidity was just 9% (22° dewpoint) so didn't feel that bad

Old 06-14-2019, 04:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Heat and humidity is very uncomfortable regardless. Try 80F at midnight outside, stifling with AC on inside. The northern tier has the better climate. The absurd anti-cold bias in the US never ends.
Very subjective, though of course you do you.

Personally, I don't find 80 degrees at midnight to be stifling at all, though I do like coming in to the cool AC.
Though you know what - I clearly remember visiting my grandmother in the summer as a kid, in her country home in southern Arkansas, and she didn't have AC at all. And get this - we were fine. I mean, comfortable. Though it was hot outside, she had things figured out - open windows with awnings, shades half drawn, hardwood floors, an attic fan, box fans in one window in each room, cool percale sheets on the beds - when I am tempted to wonder how people populated the south before AC I remember her comfortable home and I smile.

I freely admit that when it's still hot in September, I'm tired of it. But I'd be even more tired of snow and ice by March. In March, I'm planting things and it's gorgeous here! So to each his or her own, right?

Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 PM

626 posts, read 462,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Also the beach towns in Florida are so boring.... lol
Compared to where NYC? Ever been to South Florida?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:55 PM

1,109 posts, read 745,098 times
Less liberal policies.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Less liberal policies.
I see what you mean, but NM has changed from red to blue. It's really only a matter of time until TX is turned blue (and I, as a moderate, would hate to see that happen). FL is a swing state and has been for quite some time (though judging by the last election, there doesn't appear to be a serious movement for the liberal side that threatens the Republican side). AZ is still Republican though, like other southern states, appears to be turning blue due to increased amount of transplants.

That pretty much only leaves GA, AL, MS, LA, and AR (and if you aren't only referring to the deep/extreme south, TN, KN, OK, and MO too).

Basically what I'm saying is, wherever there's a heavy amount of transplants from liberal states, those transplant states have a good chance to turn blue in the future.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:04 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Dunno, I moved North.
And aren't you considering moving South? I certainly get that impression from the Georgia forum.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Compared to where NYC? Ever been to South Florida?
That was just another drive-by. Put on Ignore.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Very subjective, though of course you do you.

Personally, I don't find 80 degrees at midnight to be stifling at all, though I do like coming in to the cool AC.
Though you know what - I clearly remember visiting my grandmother in the summer as a kid, in her country home in southern Arkansas, and she didn't have AC at all. And get this - we were fine. I mean, comfortable. Though it was hot outside, she had things figured out - open windows with awnings, shades half drawn, hardwood floors, an attic fan, box fans in one window in each room, cool percale sheets on the beds - when I am tempted to wonder how people populated the south before AC I remember her comfortable home and I smile.

I freely admit that when it's still hot in September, I'm tired of it. But I'd be even more tired of snow and ice by March. In March, I'm planting things and it's gorgeous here! So to each his or her own, right?
Right. I personally like being able to feel my hands and feet in the winter. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.