Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
None of this is true.

Thousands of people have gone to school and college in south and work in high paying professions now. This could not be possible if the schools are terrible

You may not be able to make more money in the south but don't speak for other people
For like the billionth time on this forum, worse schools overall DOES NOT equate to all schools are bad. Some public schools in the South are great. But overall, the South has worse public schools. This literally is not that difficult of a concept, but you fight me every single time I bring it up. Public schools in the North are generally better than public schools in the South. Some schools in the South are good, but the North has more good schools. Can I say it in a different language for emphasis or to make it stick for you? Idk what else there is for me to say. Las escuelas públicas en el sur son generalmente peores que las escuelas públicas en el norte. Hay algunas escuelas públicas en el sur que son buenas, pero el norte tiene mas escuelas buenas. Le scuole pubbliche en el sud sono generalmente peggiori delle scuole pubbliche en el nord. Ci sono alcune scuole pubbliche nel sud che sono buone, ma nel nord ci sono piu scuole buone.

I'm not even going to bother posting the stats for like the 18th time showing that the above statement to be a fact. I'm also not going to bother posting stats that show that objectively, the South earns less money than the North. It's a well-known fact that jobs in the South pay less than jobs in the North. A lot of people from the North just think "oh wow I make $70k in NYC and I struggle, so I'll move to the South where my $70k will go so much further" but they don't consider that they likely won't be making $70k unless they're doing a direct internal transfer within their company and that company allows them to keep their NYC salary elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you're trying to claim that NOVA isn't an extension of the Northeast?
That's news to me, and I guess you, and likely many of the people living in NOVA, and much of the country.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:19 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
My point is students go to the schools in the south that you claim are terrible and do well in school and college.

This means it isn't the school but the students.

You talk about education but can't seem to follow my logic and respond to the point that I made. Then randomly post in another language.

You haven't provided any evidence teachers in the south are not qualified to teach

When you factor cost of living in, jobs in south pay as well or better. That's why there is population and economic growth in the south

Physicians, engineers, pharmacists etc are making more than 70k in the south.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-26-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
My point is students go to the schools in the south that you claim are terrible and do well in school and college.

This means it isn't the school but the students.

You talk about education but can't seem to follow my logic and respond to the point that I made.
Because your logic is just wrong lol. Is it really that difficult for you to understand that the North has better schools overall? Some people from the South attend good schools, but more people in the North attend good schools.

Let's make a similar example. Overall, the United States is a wealthier country than Mexico. In this situation, the US is the North and Mexico is the South. I'm even keeping the geography similar to make this simple. So, we all know the US is wealthier than Mexico as a whole. But does that indicate that everyone in Mexico is poor and everyone in the US is rich? No. There are some people in Mexico who are much wealthier than the majority of those in the US. But, overall, Mexico is poorer.

I seriously have no other way to explain this to you because it is such a simple concept Does anyone else have a way of explaining it? There are students in both regions who attend good school. There are just more students in the North who attend good schools as compared to the South because there are more good schools in the North than in the South.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 AM

How can it be a bad school if some students do well in the school

You can't explain this.

You talk about schools without mentioning the teachers.

You can't provide evidence teachers in south are not qualified to teach.

Does it make sense to believe a failing student in the south would do well in a so called good school in the south.

That doesn't seem like a logical assumption..

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-26-2019 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
How can it be a bad school if some students do well in the school

You can't explain this.
Are you saying the South has ONE SCHOOL???? NO IT DOES NOT. The South has MANY schools. Some are good. Some are bad. But the North has more good ones than the South does.
You talk about schools without mentioning the teachers.

Some students can excel in terrible schools. But that is not common. And the North has better schools.

Quote:
You can't provide evidence teachers in south are not qualified to teach.
They're obviously qualified to teach or they wouldn't be teaching. However, the North pays their teachers better. The North cares about them and their unions are strong. Many of the best teachers across the country come to states like NJ because they have an amazing support system here and make very good money. I know this because I work in education. There's not a rush of high-quality teachers to states that pay their teachers almost poverty wages and seek to destroy unions. The good quality teachers are often looking for the best school districts to teach in. Some really have a genuine desire to aid failing schools, but they struggle to succeed because the districts provide such little support.

Quote:
Does it make sense to believe a failing student in the south would do well in a so called good school in the south.

That doesn't seem like a logical assumption.
A failing student? No. However, a C student who genuinely tries in school and just can't seem to get better? Yes absolutely. The North puts more money and resources into their schools. The teachers are higher quality. There is more money to hire more special education resource personnel, paraprofessionals, etc. Maybe that struggling student comes from a bad household. The North will often provide that student with a meal more easily and offer more extracurricular/after school programs to keep them on a good path if they're genuinely trying to succeed. There are just overall more resources for students and teachers in the North.

I'm not saying every student in Newark can succeed, but a district like Newark NJ would be better off than an equivalent district in the South. The state would at least care more to try and help Newark than the state government of a Southern state.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:56 AM

People who are negative about south almost invariably have your politics

There is no correlation bt teacher pay and student performance and students from poor families get free or discounted lunches in southern schools.

Also teacher pay does not factor in cost of living.

There are thousands of people who grew up in south and still live here making more than 70k. You went to better schools though
There are millions of failing students outside of the south in the same schools you claim have more resources

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-26-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
All of your assertions about south are rooted in your politics.

People who are negative about south almost invariably have your politics

There is no correlation bt teacher pay and student performance and students from poor families get free or discounted lunches in southern schools.

Also teacher pay does not factor in cost of living.

There are thousands of people who grew up in south and still live here making more than 70k. You went to better schools though
There are millions of failing students outside of the south in the same schools you claim have more resources
Find me proof that schools in the South are overall as good as schools in the North. I'll wait like I always do when you inevitably come up with your illogical arguments.

You're right. My politics do play a factor because I see the strong need for unions and I support social safety nets and strong job protections for everyone. The South doesn't value those factors.

You really think that the best-educated and best-trained teachers are scrambling to teach in KY where they are enemy #1 of the current governor? Absolutely not. Teachers in states like that have terrible QOL. Teacher in NJ have a very good QOL. Again, I know this, because I work in education. Would you rather your child attend a school where the facilities are upgraded or falling apart? Where the salary entices out of state teachers with great credentials, or where the salaries are poverty wages so the teachers who can get out do get out? Where the teachers have to work three jobs just to support their family and buy their own supplies for the kids, or where the teachers make a comfortable living and can focus solely on the education of your child? Idk about you but I'd much prefer sending my hypothetical children to a school where the facilities are in good shape and where the teachers are paid enough to only have one job. They can focus more of their time on creating great lesson plans and giving thorough feedback to the students, rather than rushing to their second and third jobs and not putting 100% of their effort into the school.

Teacher pay definitely factors into COL in union-heavy states. Here in NJ, teachers can comfortably make $70k +, even pushing $100k. They get regular COL raises and are on strict salary guides thanks to their union that provide for positive income growth along with the standard COL raises.

You're also right that plenty of people in the South make more then $70k. However, you're apparently incapable of understanding that someone making $70k in the South would likely make more in the North, and someone making $70k in the North would likely make less in the South.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
You couldn't pay me enough money to relocate to the South from the Northeast Corridor. The major problem I have with the South is two-fold: a lack of dense cities, as well as a lack of public transportation. Living in Philadelphia, I can wake up at 7:50AM, be ready to leave my apartment by 8:10AM, take a minute-long walk to my subway stop, catch either a local or an express train, and be at my office tower by 8:30AM. The office is also walkable/bikeable from my place.

Having to purchase a car and live in an unwalkable environment with a lack of decent public transportation would kill my quality of life. I wouldn't be interested in any city that requires having a car to function.

Also, the South has a lack of interconnected interesting cities. If I want to spend a long day and night in NYC, I could catch the 7:44AM SEPTA train out of 30th Street Station, transfer to the 9:59 NJ Transit train at Trenton, arrive in NYC shortly after noon, spend the day doing whatever, head to my favorite bar in Brooklyn, leave at 4AM (that's when the bars close up there), and catch the first NJ Transit departure to Trenton. There is literally nowhere in the South where I could do something like this, let alone via public transit.
You also pay dearly for the proximity to that public transit.

So much of your preference is based on where you were raised. I could leave the South (and have lived elsewhere), but I'd feel completely like a fish out of water taking public transit.

I haven't been the type to sit around house, or even where I live, on the weekends. I like to get out and see and do interesting things. I'm into nature. I fish and kayak some, and hike a lot. A lot of my hobbies wouldn't really be doable without a car.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM

There is no good student who will be held back by the schools in south

You are saying that people shouldn't move to south bc of bad schools but good students do well in the schools.

I'm pointing this out for other people not you.

Income is an individual thing. I don't think anybody moving to south if true income is lower than a job they have elsewhere.

Everybody has different resumes

And tons of people coming here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.