Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 11:56 AM

340 posts, read 266,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The ppl you know that like it there arent indicative of ALL transplants.
Neither are the people you know that don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 11:58 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Life isn't slower in the south.

We do the same things as people anywhere else

It is funny how some people up north act like they live some kind of action packed James bond lifestyle.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:58 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Yes people with your politics who view themselves more educated than other people.
Yes Northeasterners ARE more educated. Fact.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Neither are the people you know that don't.
Never said it was ... ?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes Northeasterners ARE more educated. Fact.
Why dont you post your college diploma so can we can corroborate your bragging.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Why dont you post your college diploma so can we can corroborate your bragging.
Personally, I respect the entrepreneurial aspect more. A college degree doesn't mean one is smarter, generally, it just means they are more desirable for working for another person.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:15 PM

I think a lot of college degrees are easier than earning a high school diploma.

A major in college allows students to avoid subjects more difficult for them.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:25 PM

166 posts, read 278,435 times
Quote:
Based on what, your politics.

People who are negative about south tend to have your politics

I know a ton of transplants and they love living in SC

If you can't get paid well in south, it prob has something to do with your resume.
Unless you're being paid to tout the South, I can't figure out why you'd choose such a weird hill to defend (and die on).

The South has some incredible things that's better than the rest of the country.

Crime is not one of them. Not because I know a ton of transplants who told me so, or because of my politics. Because of studies and statistics.

Let me reiterate here, you don't know statistics. We don't ever issue hard stances on anything. Everything in stats is about likelihoods, and so we always provide what's called a Margin of Error. You take a pool of data, run some regressions analysis on them (essentially the program randomly pulls sample sizes from the population to determine if some kind of pattern emerges from the variables that are being tested. It replicates this process over and over again, using different randomized samples, in order to control for a multitude of biases that could be ingrained in the data.), and at the end, the best you can do is conclude that such-and-such is statistically more or less likely along a 95% confidence interval (most of the time we stick with 2 standard deviations, aka 95% CI. these parameters can be adjusted depending on what's being studied.)

And so the South is (yes, I know you love the South, but you need to hear this) STATISTICALLY higher in crime rates, STATISTICALLY lower in education achievement rates, etc...

Now I'm sure that within that vast population data I was talking about, YOU and a lot of your transplant friends DON'T fit the model. This is very much accounted for in the regression analysis.

The rabbit hole goes much deeper, and I really urge you to study at least some basics. You don't seem to realize how little credibility you have when your best arguments come down to nothing more than "cuz my neighbor said so."

Old 08-30-2019, 09:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I won't argue with the logic of the statement, but in the end, the result is the same. If cold weather keeps the crime down, then so be it. Makes the place safer? I'll take it.
But northern urban areas are at least as dangerous and often moreso than southern urban areas, so there's that. PLUS cold weather!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Huh? Pittsburgh is emptying out like my bowels after eating Taco Bell, yet there are TONS of jobs here. Most people I know who are leaving Pittsburgh for the South aren't doing so for economic mobility reasons. They want more sunshine and less winter.
I do believe this - wow, I couldn't believe how cloudy and rainy and cold it is in Pittsburgh and that area. My husband worked up there for several years and while the place has a lot to offer, good weather is not one of those offerings in my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.