Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Race is a Red Herring in this discussion. Even the concept of White Flight is seriously flawed. Certainly there was some White Flight but those that fled were probably employed and would just take advantage of the new freeway and highway system to commute to the same job in the same city. Not a different state. At about the same time there was a huge residential building boom in the suburbs to meet the demands of returning soldiers who were starting families and living in crowded quarters with parents and siblings. People move across state lines for all sorts of reasons but White Flight would not be an important reason.
Not to mention most of the states that gained these supposed residents were more racially diverse to begin with. It would seem counter intuitive to leave one state under the premise of race to only move to one with more minorities.

The type of migration spoken about in this argument is entirely 100% economic. Especially so in the post industrial states. You had a giant uneducated middle class that were quite comfortable, until their jobs moved to states with cheaper labor. In many cases these residents simply followed their jobs south to make less. Yet another reason the premise of domestic migration alone being a coveted stat is a myth. These high growth states simply picked up the bulk of the uneducated work forces from these other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:57 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is basically just a list of states which have seen a substantial net growth or decline in population via domestic migration.

The thing I'm not sure of is where he got the supposed white change via domestic migration, because (checking the census website) this data is not yet available.
Not all those states have a negative net migration though. Maryland I'm pretty sure doesn't. The difference is it and a few others have diversified rapidly in the past 20 years.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
White flight was when a family moved from central Detroit/Cleveland/Milwaukee/Boston/Chicago etc. to an outer suburban county i.e. the closest place they could move to to get away from busing and 'urban' politics in general. Once busing ended, it was mostly about crime. But people would basically just move houses but still feel like Detroiters, Chicagoans etc.

Most state-to-state migration seems to be driven by jobs, cost of living, lifestyle concerns. But there are some 'political refugees' I think, whether it's liberal younger people trying to move to a city like New York or L.A. to escape what they view as the 'narrow mindedness' of their hometowns..and then there's conservative-leaning people trying to escape taxes and what they see as 'crazy liberal' policies in their home state (surely applies to some Californians going to Texas and some New Englanders going down South to places like Georgia or NC). It's still a different phenomenon I think.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Not all those states have a negative net migration though. Maryland I'm pretty sure doesn't. The difference is it and a few others have diversified rapidly in the past 20 years.
I'm pretty sure Maryland has a negative domestic migration. Just not total migration. Immigrants are what keeps the population growing in the Northeast.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 1,374,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'm kind of curious about this. I am mostly speaking about the great white flight from certain states that has been happening recently.

States whites have been moving to...
1. Utah
2. Colorado
3. North Dakota
4. South Carolina
5. Idaho
6. Texas
7. Oregon
8. Arizona
9. Montana
10. Washington
11. Florida
12. South Dakota
13. North Carolina
14. Tennessee
15. Delaware

States whites have been moving from...
1. New Mexico
2. Connecticut
3. New Jersey
4. Rhode Island
5. Illinois
6. New York
7. Pennsylvania
8. West Virginia
9. Maryland
10. Vermont
11. Ohio
12. California
13. Mississippi
14. Massachusetts
15. Michigan

What do you think?
I certainly can't imagine white flight being a motivating factor behind anyone's decision to move from West Virginia.

Is white flight the major factor behind these migrations? Unfortunately in 21rst Century America we do still have individuals with that backward mentality in this country, I am well aware, but I have to wonder if it is really the major driver here.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:45 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'm kind of curious about this. I am mostly speaking about the great white flight from certain states that has been happening recently.

States whites have been moving to...
1. Utah
2. Colorado
3. North Dakota
4. South Carolina
5. Idaho
6. Texas
7. Oregon
8. Arizona
9. Montana
10. Washington
11. Florida
12. South Dakota
13. North Carolina
14. Tennessee
15. Delaware

States whites have been moving from...
1. New Mexico
2. Connecticut
3. New Jersey
4. Rhode Island
5. Illinois
6. New York
7. Pennsylvania
8. West Virginia
9. Maryland
10. Vermont
11. Ohio
12. California
13. Mississippi
14. Massachusetts
15. Michigan

What do you think?
I think you're obsessed with race, like many other people in this country. Why does this matter?

Old 05-28-2018, 04:56 AM

93,252 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
True, but it really emptied and destroyed the core county.
Even then, it is more likely the core city, as all 3 of those counties have a little under to well above 1 million people in them today.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In the 1970s, most of them were likely moving to the next county out, not out of the metro entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
True, but it really emptied and destroyed the core county.
Actually, untrue. WRT Buffalo and Cleveland, their entire metros have lost population since 1970, with graphs that are similar to Pittsburgh's.
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ra_Falls%2C_NY
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...d-Elyria%2C_OH

Typical rust belt demographics.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
With that, I do think there are some possible white flight state/metros:

Colorado
Oregon
South Carolina (the coast)
Tennessee (Greater Nashville)
Texas (only Austin)
North Carolina (Asheville, maybe Raleigh)
If you're going to Colorado for "white flight", you'll be disappointed. I can think of no area of CO that is super predominantly white.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:35 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If you're going to Colorado for "white flight", you'll be disappointed. I can think of no area of CO that is super predominantly white.
Texas and NC definitely aren't white flight destinations either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.