Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:18 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times

Advertisements

What town/small city would you consider to be the next Asheville and ready to explode?

Revitalized downtown
Tourist attraction
Increased home prices
Outdoorsy
Under 250,000 population.

Something that's maybe a little under the radar now, but ready to break out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Chattanooga in my opinion, though arguably it's already exploding. For something more under the radar I would have to say I'm fascinated how given it's location/proximity to the mountains how Roanoke hasn't seen more growth. Perhaps it's location not close to larger cities has influenced that, but feel it's only a matter of time.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Chattanooga in my opinion, though arguably it's already exploding. For something more under the radar I would have to say I'm fascinated how given it's location/proximity to the mountains how Roanoke hasn't seen more growth. Perhaps it's location not close to larger cities has influenced that, but feel it's only a matter of time.
I wonder if close proximity to college towns such as Blacksburg and Radford have an impact on Roanoke in that regard.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times
Quote:
My sister lives in Christiansburg and my parents are in Smith Mountain Lake, and I've been considering Roanoke as a place to move to. (I live in Denver now). I'm surprised housing costs aren't more.

Out west, Ogden is a beautiful town close to the ski slopes and is another one I'm surprised that's still very affordable.

I checked out Chattanooga last year and enjoyed my time there.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:56 PM

193 posts, read 204,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if close proximity to college towns such as Blacksburg and Radford have an impact on Roanoke in that regard.
The Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Radford MSA has about 160,000 people and is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. The Roanoke MSA is adjacent and has about 300,000 people (the city of Roanoke has 100,000 people which is similar in size to Asheville). Virginia Tech is the third largest university in Virginia with over 33,000 students. It is located in Blacksburg about 40-miles SW of Roanoke. I doubt Roanoke's growth is about to explode, but I do know that Virginia Tech's impact on the city is significant. Some examples:

* the city's airport was renamed "the Roanoke/Blacksburg Regional Airport;

*bus service connects Blacksburg and Roanoke via I-81

*Amtrak recently extended rail service to downtown Roanoke (first passenger rail service in 40-years) in part to accommodate VT students and faculty headed to and from Northern Virginia and D.C. Plans call for rail service extension to Christiansburg (about five miles from Blacksburg);

*Virginia Tech has a branch campus in downtown Roanoke;

*The Virginia Tech/Carilion School of Medicine is located in Roanoke;

*Virginia Tech owns the Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center. This hotel is the largest in the city and is a National Historic Landmark;

*Virginia Tech owns and operates three FM radio stations that serve the Roanoke Valley (WVTF, WVTW, and WUVT);

*The Virginia Tech ice hockey team plays its games at the Roanoke Convention Center.

Radford University has about 10,000 students and is located in the town of Radford--about 46-miles from downtown Roanoke. I really don't know much about that school or its impact on the region.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Roanoke is a definite stunner. And you have the Triple Crown all nearby. I agree that it's odd how slow its growth is.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
I wonder why I heard such awful things about Roanoke when a possible relocation was floated there. I don't remember the specifics, just that we wouldn't want to live there.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I wonder why I heard such awful things about Roanoke when a possible relocation was floated there. I don't remember the specifics, just that we wouldn't want to live there.
That could be said for virtually any city with anecdotal evidence like " so and so's cousin moved there and they hated it because ______", and in my opinion not something to place too much emphasis on when there are certainly much more meaningful resources available for researching compatibility.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:59 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
That could be said for virtually any city with anecdotal evidence like " so and so's cousin moved there and they hated it because ______", and in my opinion not something to place too much emphasis on when there are certainly much more meaningful resources available for researching compatibility.
Fair, except it didn't come from one source.

And it could have just been us personally wouldn't be happy there for whatever reason.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Another place could be Morgantown WV. It is about an hour or so south of Pittsburgh, it has a major university and it is in a part of the state with good economic activity(North Central WV). https://www.tourmorgantown.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.