Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think foreign workers:
Lower wages of US workers in the tech sector. 8 57.14%
Lower wages of US workers who have a Bachelor's or higher. 4 28.57%
Lower wages of US workers in service industry or unskilled work. 7 50.00%
Increase wage of US workers. 2 14.29%
Make corporations richer and the middle and lower classes poorer by exploiting Americans. 8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Dude, I am not a liberal, don't agree with the welfare state, entitledments, and etc. I do not believe anyone is pretty much entitled to anything, other than a fair opportunity to go to college, WORK HARD, and get somewhere in life. What I do not approve is corporations creating "open border" policies to inflate the US workforce and deflate wages.

This guy we know, Nick, lives in Cincinnati, OH (not the sticks, a major city with one of the world's largest corps, Procter & Gamble). Has a BS in computer science from ITT, an excellent resume. He has even worked for my stepdad doing freelance work last year. HE CANNOT GET A COMPUTER JOB. The companies are telling him they can hire someone else for 1/2 of his asking wage. His asking wage?? Oh only $45k. Granted, he has 6 years of experience, some even working for MBNA (the credit card company) for over 1 year. He has awesome references, I have called to check his references at his request.. all clean. He was told by the company they would only pay $23- $25k a year.... now you call this an incentive to go to college?? Come on, man!! Why do you think the pay is that low? Because they can hire these H-1B workers for pennies on the dollar.

The companies do not WANT to hire US workers because the aliens get paid 1/2 of what US workers get paid!! Is that too much to ask that we restrain this practice to give US workers a chance to get a job. I think not!!

Wow this is scary and sad but true! I cant even find a job in Florida that pays decent salaries! No one will hire me even for a base $30k a year salary. People have told me to get a BA degree. Sure, itll mean ill get $30k instead of $20k. I have news for you, even a $30k salary sucks! I cant afford anything in Florida on $30k a year, thats even less than what teachers make!
Whats the point spending $10k a year for college if they would rather hire foreign workers willing to work for half of what I will? Its looking more and more like Americans are going to have to be self employeed and live in small cities and towns where cost of living is still affordable. The big cities may soon be nothing but rich coperate people and poor foreign workers
All the middle class will be in small cities and towns!

Quote:
On the other hand, we have a middle class that appeared after WWII. The middle class rose above poverty because people were needed to do jobs in the USA and there was no surplus of workers to lower wages.

Looks like its bye bye middle class. Ill either be lower(middle) class or upper(middle) class depending how well my self employeed business goes and how much I can make. Ill need to live in a small city like Oil city to still enjoy home ownership, something only the rich can enjoy in big cities in FL, NYC, CA, NJ, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Great Post Chris ...
Isn't it time AMERICANS are made the priority in this country opposed to the special interests?

I think we are all in agreement that foreign internal outsorucing of work is hurting US wages, right?

Merry Christmas!

Chris!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM

Hello Christan, please see my previous post and feel free to comment. Others may comment too. I have already told my parents of this situation and why I dont feel a BA degree will benefit me. Sorry but $25k salary is peanuts for a BA degree! I could make that much being self employeed and live anywhere I want!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Hello Christan, please see my previous post and feel free to comment. Others may comment too. I have already told my parents of this situation and why I dont feel a BA degree will benefit me. Sorry but $25k salary is peanuts for a BA degree! I could make that much being self employeed and live anywhere I want!
Dude, just a quick update... my cousin who just graduated from University of Florida (Gators) with a Bachelors in Business Administration and a Bachelors in Spanish.

YES, she is a recent grad, but her salary is very low: $24k per year, no health insurance, no benefits.

If she had not been lazy and had relocated to northern Virginia, she had an opportunity for $38k!!!

How do you like them apples?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 PM

Wow this is sad! I thought teachers were very underpaid but business admins are even worse off! $24k or even $38k salary isnt enough for anything but a mobile home or share the rent with roomates! Sorry but I can not support myself on such a low salary in FL nor VA. However in Oil city I could, except theres no jobs so thats why im self employeed. I refuse to work for such low wages that foreigners will gladly work for.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wow this is sad! I thought teachers were very underpaid but business admins are even worse off! $24k or even $38k salary isnt enough for anything but a mobile home or share the rent with roomates! Sorry but I can not support myself on such a low salary in FL nor VA. However in Oil city I could, except theres no jobs so thats why im self employeed. I refuse to work for such low wages that foreigners will gladly work for.
We are on the same boat, that is why we are leaving FL. I thought $38k/year for a Business Adm BA was VERY good, but again, I have been in FL for 11 years now.

Basically, she is moving with roommates, this is the "New America" that the corporations have created by inflating the job market with foreign workers.

I rather be unemployed that have to bed for $9/h to make some ******* lawyer rich. People who lose their jobs to illegals need to call ICE and get the illegal arrested and the employer fined.

When will American say "enough is enough"? How much worse do things have to get until we demand existing Immigration laws to be enforeced and the border secured??

Old 12-20-2006, 05:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Thanks for the link to ICE, I have a couple of competitors in mind who I know are using illegals for their installations. Trouble is these are day laborers they pick up from the roadside to work, so I guess the feds would have to catch them on the job site. Like that's actually going to happen....

Old 12-26-2006, 03:51 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
And here I was thinking education makes you smart! Simple supply and demand philosophy here folks...Why would any employer pay more than they have to if the supply far outnumbers the demand?
Suggesting that BA grads being underpaid is somehow the fault of illegal immigrants is laughable. Beyond the absurdity of the suggestion is the question it brings up about that hypothesis based on a BA grads education. That's not a stretch, not a reach, more like a strain akin to one having a serious case of the runs! Are you sure you got your money's worth? No offense meant.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
We dont really have a nursing shortage per se, we have a shortage of nurses who want to work full time. Last numbers I heard, 60% of nurses work less than full time. For most of us, our jobs, though well paying, are still a second salary for the household..and most of us are women and do also take the responsibility for taking care of the household as well and raising the kids.

It only takes 3 years to graduate as an RN. We should offer free schooling for those who want to be nurses, in return for 3 years of work in the US. In a decade our health care industry would be in so much better shape.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Why even bother? The hospitals for Americans in India are much better than the sausage factories here financed by your HMO. I hope a business develops taking patients overseas for medical care and finally reforms the monopolies of the American Medical association and the politically motivated FDA who only cares about protecting drug company profits and not helping the public. I know of someone who went to India for reconstructive surgery. Less than 1/2 the price and the hospital was CLEANER and they have less infections than the US. Even saw the hip replacement on TV done there. The US is becomming obsolete, we need to do better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.