Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHAT IS THE BEST U.S. STATE
ALABAMA 1 0.49%
ALASKA 4 1.95%
ARIZONA 3 1.46%
ARKANSAS 2 0.98%
CALIFORNIA 36 17.56%
COLORADA 10 4.88%
CONNECTICUT 3 1.46%
DELAWARE 1 0.49%
FLORIDA 8 3.90%
GEORGIA 2 0.98%
HAWAI'I 6 2.93%
IDAHO 2 0.98%
ILLINOIS 8 3.90%
INDIANA 1 0.49%
IOWA 7 3.41%
KANSAS 0 0%
KENTUCKY 1 0.49%
LOUISIANA 3 1.46%
MAINE 2 0.98%
MARYLAND 2 0.98%
MASSACHUSETTS 2 0.98%
MINNESOTA 1 0.49%
MISSOURI 3 1.46%
MISSISSIPPI 2 0.98%
MICHIGAN 4 1.95%
NEVADA 1 0.49%
NEW JERSEY 6 2.93%
NEW MEXICO 2 0.98%
NEW YORK 7 3.41%
NORTH CAROLINA 5 2.44%
NORTH DAKOTA 3 1.46%
OHIO 5 2.44%
OKLAHOMA 0 0%
OREGON 7 3.41%
PENNSYLVANIA 7 3.41%
RHODE ISLAND 0 0%
SOUTH DAKOTA 0 0%
SOUTH CAROLINA 1 0.49%
TENNESSEE 3 1.46%
TEXAS 20 9.76%
UTAH 1 0.49%
VIRGINIA 1 0.49%
MONTANA 2 0.98%
NEBRASKA 5 2.44%
NEW HAMPSHIRE 3 1.46%
VERMONT 0 0%
WEST VIRGINIA 1 0.49%
WASHINGTON 4 1.95%
WYOMING 2 0.98%
WISCONSIN 3 1.46%
ONE OF THE TERRITORIES 2 0.98%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,497 times

Advertisements

My state is the best state
TEXAS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM

402 posts, read 1,015,954 times
New York. Having been raised in San Fran and lived in LA, Dallas, Houston. What I have found is that in New York you don't have to bring anything here, because it's already here.

I say that it's not just New York, but the whole East Coast. But the diversity in landscape, history and access from Maine to the Carribean. CA is beautiful, but once you get away from the beach you don't have much else and for the most part Pacific Ocean is mostly cold and it's hard to get in. Well, the South...it doesn't compare in terms of the beaches and mountains (beauty).

Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
New York. Having been raised in San Fran and lived in LA, Dallas, Houston. What I have found is that in New York you don't have to bring anything here, because it's already here.

I say that it's not just New York, but the whole East Coast. But the diversity in landscape, history and access from Maine to the Carribean. CA is beautiful, but once you get away from the beach you don't have much else and for the most part Pacific Ocean is mostly cold and it's hard to get in. Well, the South...it doesn't compare in terms of the beaches and mountains (beauty).
Once you get away from the beach there's not much else to do? I don't know what communities in California you've lived in but apparently you didn't adventure enough. And tell me, how is life outside of manhattan? What's there to do that inland California doesnt have? I'm curious?!?

And this question is a no brainer. Any objective person will say California is the best overall state.

Maybe a better question would be the north east vs. California vs. The south vs. The northwest, vs. The midwest vs. The rockies vs. The desert southwest then we have a different story! Subjectivity can be granted. Personally, I would still pick California first and then the north east and then the north west

Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Once you get away from the beach there's not much else to do? I don't know what communities in California you've lived in but apparently you didn't adventure enough. And tell me, how is life outside of manhattan? What's there to do that inland California doesnt have? I'm curious?!?

And this question is a no brainer. Any objective person will say California is the best overall state.

Maybe a better question would be the north east vs. California vs. The south vs. The northwest, vs. The midwest vs. The rockies vs. The desert southwest then we have a different story! Subjectivity can be granted. Personally, I would still pick California first and then the north east and then the north west
Well, I grew up in CA....lived in LA and San Fran. This thing with New York City is that since it's quite small you have Long Island, CT, Jersey Shores, RI, MA, PA and on and on that are all fairly short trips (including the transportation that makes these trips quite simple). In San Fran. there are many great places like Monterey, Carmel, but Hwy 1 fab, beautiful, but how much beauty can one take and how long? LA great place too, but there isn't the diversity and history like the East Coast. Lake Tahoe one of the most beautiful places in the US we don't have.

I like road trips, so to drive a couple of hours and spend the night in a town like (carmel) is harder to do in the West than the East. There are more clusers of areas that you would want to spend time here in east if you only have the weekend. For example: hwy 1 though beautiful from Seattle to LA you have to drive much longer streches before you get to a town that you would be interested in where here you don't. When I lived in San Fran...I would spend time in Lake Tahoe, santa cruz, carmel, monterey...that's about it. Here in New York...much, much more and can go in many more directions. Plus, I like the fact you can take 4hr plane ride and be in the caribbean. For me that's why I like the New York...it's different for everyone, but I like to travel and not just couple of times a year. I get bored of the samething all the time. You know I lived in Sausalito, CA...it's georgeous there I just needed more than beauty.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Well, I grew up in CA....lived in LA and San Fran. This thing with New York City is that since it's quite small you have Long Island, CT, Jersey Shores, RI, MA, PA and on and on that are all fairly short trips (including the transportation that makes these trips quite simple). In San Fran. there are many great places like Monterey, Carmel, but Hwy 1 fab, beautiful, but how much beauty can one take and how long? LA great place too, but there isn't the diversity and history like the East Coast. Lake Tahoe one of the most beautiful places in the US we don't have.

I like road trips, so to drive a couple of hours and spend the night in a town like (carmel) is harder to do in the West than the East. There are more clusers of areas that you would want to spend time here in east if you only have the weekend. For example: hwy 1 though beautiful from Seattle to LA you have to drive much longer streches before you get to a town that you would be interested in where here you don't. When I lived in San Fran...I would spend time in Lake Tahoe, santa cruz, carmel, monterey...that's about it. Here in New York...much, much more and can go in many more directions. Plus, I like the fact you can take 4hr plane ride and be in the caribbean. For me that's why I like the New York...it's different for everyone, but I like to travel and not just couple of times a year. I get bored of the samething all the time. You know I lived in Sausalito, CA...it's georgeous there I just needed more than beauty.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I like road trips, so to drive a couple of hours and spend the night in a town like (carmel) is harder to do in the West than the East. There are more clusers of areas that you would want to spend time here in east if you only have the weekend. For example: hwy 1 though beautiful from Seattle to LA you have to drive much longer streches before you get to a town that you would be interested in where here you don't. When I lived in San Fran...I would spend time in Lake Tahoe, santa cruz, carmel, monterey, napa valley, sonoma and etc...that's about it. Here in New York...much, much more and can go in many more directions. Plus, I like the fact you can take 4hr plane ride and be in the caribbean. For me that's why I like New York...it's different for everyone, but I like to travel and not just couple of times a year. I get bored of the samething all the time. You know I lived in Sausalito, CA...it's georgeous there I just needed more than beauty.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I like road trips, so to drive a couple of hours and spend the night in a town like (carmel) is harder to do in the West than the East. There are more clusers of areas that you would want to spend time here in east if you only have the weekend. For example: hwy 1 though beautiful from Seattle to LA you have to drive much longer streches before you get to a town that you would be interested in where here you don't. When I lived in San Fran...I would spend time in Lake Tahoe, santa cruz, carmel, monterey...that's about it. Here in New York...much, much more and can go in many more directions. Plus, I like the fact you can take 4hr plane ride and be in the caribbean. For me that's why I like the New York...it's different for everyone, but I like to travel and not just couple of times a year. I get bored of the samething all the time. You know I lived in Sausalito, CA...it's georgeous there I just needed more than beauty. BTW, once you go inland...you have much more landscape and mountains than the CA.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,217 times
Quote:

I like road trips, so to drive a couple of hours and spend the night in a town like (carmel) is harder to do in the West than the East. There are more clusers of areas that you would want to spend time here in east if you only have the weekend. For example: hwy 1 though beautiful from Seattle to LA you have to drive much longer streches before you get to a town that you would be interested in where here you don't. When I lived in San Fran...I would spend time in Lake Tahoe, santa cruz, carmel, monterey...that's about it. Here in New York...much, much more and can go in many more directions. Plus, I like the fact you can take 4hr plane ride and be in the caribbean. For me that's why I like the New York...it's different for everyone, but I like to travel and not just couple of times a year. I get bored of the samething all the time. You know I lived in Sausalito, CA...it's georgeous there I just needed more than beauty. BTW, once you go inland...you have much more landscape and mountains than the CA.
Except the weather is unpleasant 80% of the year. Also no real mountains nearby (nothing below 7000 ft is a real mountain, it is a foothill). NYC tops any other city in America, and NY is a nice state, but for people that like the outdoors and diversity, California is tops. It's all subjective anyway.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:58 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,298 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living

And, by the way, Montana isn't even on your list. Did they secede?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Not officially... Yet.
I just hope they let me know when they do. I plan to move there in one year and I don't want them leaving without me!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,519 times
Quote:

I haven't heard you mention my hometown of San Diego once every time you evaluate California. This place definitely fits in to some form of cluster in the state that gives California its merit of 'awesomeness'. For those who truly love road trips, then California should be the #1 choice. This state is obsessively in love with the automobile and LA and San Diego are two of among the largest cities in America and they are within 2 hours of each other; LOTS to do, and the mountains and deserts are nearby as well. If you really love scenic drives, then up and down the California coast and in the foothills and mountains and valleys are awesome as well, and all these places are within arms reach of the cities. And the Bay Area is very comparable to any New England 'cluster' you speak of!

New York City is definitely among the best places in the world to have a good time, but for outdoor activities, it's not quite the same there. And road trips in NYC and up Long Island if you don't have a vehicle is most likely under ground; where there's nothing to see but darkness and a blue light every 5 seconds with red ones if there's another nearby train ahead. I know, I was in NYC in august last year and had a blast! and i absolutely love their public transportation system. but come on, California has tremendous amounts of clusters with things to do just like the north east, the only difference is that the north east is aging with establishment and california is still growing to maturity and establishment!

also... take into consideration the quality of people in a region over the number of people that live there. for example, surely new jersey has 9 million+ people in a state about the size of los angeles county, but i would say seattle, WA, a metro with 3.5+ million people, has more quality people then new jerseys 9+ million people. this may sound mean and subjective, but take the time to lay out the numbers and use criteria such as sophistication, education, family values, public records, care for the environment, income, etc. you get the picture.

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-30-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.