Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 AM

5 posts, read 13,092 times

Advertisements

Denver thought to be a well rounded and on the rise city. One of it's drawbacks (to some) is the winter weather. Where is similar to Denver, but with milder/warmer winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 01:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylearnerr View Post
Denver thought to be a well rounded and on the rise city. One of it's drawbacks (to some) is the winter weather. Where is similar to Denver, but with milder/warmer winters?
Possibly Atlanta? I would suggest Phoenix here, but I'm sure most posters would disagree with me for multiple reasons

Old 06-03-2018, 06:22 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
As a Texan who lived in Denver for 3 years recently, I don't know if I would consider the winters there to be especially harsh, certainly not a deal breaker. Yes, there are snaps of several days/a week where temps are in the single digits or low teens, but there are plenty of mild days in winter as well.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Possibly Atlanta? I would suggest Phoenix here, but I'm sure most posters would disagree with me for multiple reasons
Um yes. I’ll be one of those posters. The question was which cities are similar to Denver. You hate Denver (although i haven’t figured out why except that it was cold one day while you were here) and you like Phoenix. Phoenix is not at all like Denver. Much more suburban. Phoenix reminds me of Vegas, and not just because they’re both uncomfortably hot.

San Diego is the city that most reminds me of Denver when I go there because of the distinct neighborhoods. Gas Lamp and LoDo are close to replicas. It’s beach culture vs mountain culture and the cities certainly have their differences, but if I had to pick one similar sized city that’s probably it.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-03-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 06:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Hard to say because Denver is the only real major city in the mountain west region (SLC getting there but not quite). It doesn't have a lot in common with SLC or Phoenix which I suppose are its closest peer cities. Some seem to compare it with Kansas City, haven't been so not sure about that but I could possibly see areas like LoDo comparable to other industrial period brick/warehouse areas of other Midwestern cities. Sometimes I think Denver might have some similar DNA to the REI/outdoor recreation culture found in Northwestern cities like Seattle, even though the cities themselves have little else in common.

Denver feels like an all American city with a hodge podge of influences from many other parts of the US. If you're looking for a warmer climate, one must look to the sun belt. Denver metro definitely has suburban areas that look like the Sunbelt, particularly the Denver Tech Center and I-25 corridor south of the city. So in that case I guess I'd say either Dallas or Phoenix, even though neither city has a downtown core that would be anything similar to Denver's. Denver is Denver really, you won't find a warmer replica of it anywhere else.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
As a Texan who lived in Denver for 3 years recently, I don't know if I would consider the winters there to be especially harsh, certainly not a deal breaker. Yes, there are snaps of several days/a week where temps are in the single digits or low teens, but there are plenty of mild days in winter as well.
^^This! I'm glad to see even people from warmer climates think that. Compared to the winters in the Midwest, where we came here from, or even Pittsburgh, where I grew up, Denver's winter is pretty mild. Weeks of warm (50s, sometimes even 60s) sunny weather between the snowstorms.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:14 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^This! I'm glad to see even people from warmer climates think that. Compared to the winters in the Midwest, where we came here from, or even Pittsburgh, where I grew up, Denver's winter is pretty mild. Weeks of warm (50s, sometimes even 60s) sunny weather between the snowstorms.
The low humidity works wonders in winter and summer. There are days in Louisiana when its much colder.

I would maybe say Seattle. It's still cold but far less snow, both are extremely outdoorsy, very liberal, legal weed, hot economies, expensive, young population, etc.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylearnerr View Post

Salt Lake City ?

Blue Ridge Mtns., NC

Denver CO is awesome.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Boise and Albuquerque could be considered smaller versions of Denver.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Boise and Albuquerque could be considered smaller versions of Denver.
From a city feel standpoint Albuquerque and Denver do not share much in common outside of geography. Boise is more similar, but certainly not a warmer locale.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-03-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.