Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:12 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Go on a dating site in Wyoming. Half the women you find on there don't seem to have jobs. My other guess would be Utah. Some families there really like to keep the kids coming so the wife stays at home,
Pennsylvania. WIC and Access are entitlements due once a woman gets pregnant. I went through a culture shock moving to the North where handouts are an accepted right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Are there any places where it's still relatively common for a woman to graduate high school, maybe live at home for a few years, and then get married where they become a housewife without ever working a single day at a job or career.
Yes, just check out "Boardwalk" or "Park Place" in any American city. You'll find plenty of housefraus who don't need to work.

I can think of one lady from area. She doesn't work because Daddy left her $6.2 billion.

Last edited by RDM66; 06-15-2018 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 06:52 AM

8 posts, read 5,647 times
The OP needs to be rich or have a time machine.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:53 AM

8 posts, read 5,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pennsylvania. WIC and Access are entitlements due once a woman gets pregnant. I went through a culture shock moving to the North where handouts are an accepted right.
The states that use public assistance the most are all in the south.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Don't Mormon women attend college and travel all over the world for missionary work?
A lot of Mormon women I know married in college, often senior year.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
I think in New Jersey where I live it's common to have a lot of suburban stay at home moms. My mom doesn't have a real job, but she only works on call and during the school year only. She literally wasted years in college up to 29 years old for nothing if she doesn't want to work. My dad works and has a full time job. My mom literally sits home and does nothing otherwise, not even hobbies.

Our generation can't put up with women like this. Generation X sucks. Everyone just marries for convenience, just to curse at each other, and just for the bride to stay home and do nothing their entire life.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:37 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
A lot of Mormon women I know married in college, often senior year.
Or right out of high school.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Pennsylvania

Old 06-15-2018, 07:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I guess,Oklahoma,Utah,Arkansas, and some parts of Texas

Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
I know a lot of housewives, but all of them went to college. Even decades ago, many housewives-to-be attended college, if only to find a guy. A lot easier to find a partner in college than sitting at your parent's house.

Any other housewife I can think of would marry someone during or immediately after high school.

The more important point though, is that what you speak of is a dangerous path for someone to rely on, financially speaking. If this woman you mention is not able to find a man who can support her fully, she will be sitting at home with her parents with absolutely no work experience to list on a resume. Back in the 1950s, the average worker usually made enough to support an entire family. Now things are far more uncertain, and it is an incredibly extreme risk to bank everything on finding a man.

So I guess to answer your question: it'll be an area wherever there are plenty of well-paid single men who are looking to be married, while simultaneously being an area where women are discouraged from pursuing a career.

The sense I got from spending a little time living near a small town (~5000 people) in a semi-rural area is that some women found someone when they were just out of high school, and they started to make a family. I guess that comes close.
My wife said so many of her college friends were after their MRS degree. Count Louisiana in as so many professional and many tradesmen have wives who are stay at home Moms.

Last edited by hdwell; 06-17-2018 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: adding to post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.