Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:50 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,827,517 times

Advertisements

Military communities seem to have a higher prevalence of it as well- couples who get married straight out of high school when one of them joins the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 AM

1,223 posts, read 911,829 times
Really low populated counties

Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 AM

63 posts, read 54,597 times
Even my mother comes direct from South Asia and is a housewife but she has a college education too.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:01 PM

10,238 posts, read 13,747,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
My wife said so many of her college friends were after their MRS degree. Count Louisiana in as so many professional and many tradesmen have wives who are stay at home Moms.
I went to college in Montana and there were a lot of Mrs. Degree seekers. Usually anyone who partied off freshman year where living together sophomore year. I wonder how many are divorced now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pennsylvania. WIC and Access are entitlements due once a woman gets pregnant. I went through a culture shock moving to the North where handouts are an accepted right.
That would suck.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:17 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Are there any places where it's still relatively common for a woman to graduate high school, maybe live at home for a few years, and then get married where they become a housewife without ever working a single day at a job or career. They may still do "work" like helping with stuff around the house or volunteer work.
Yes. Borough Park, Brooklyn, NYC, and other, similar Orthodox or Hasidic communities.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I think in New Jersey where I live it's common to have a lot of suburban stay at home moms. My mom doesn't have a real job, but she only works on call and during the school year only. She literally wasted years in college up to 29 years old for nothing if she doesn't want to work. My dad works and has a full time job. My mom literally sits home and does nothing otherwise, not even hobbies.

Our generation can't put up with women like this. Generation X sucks. Everyone just marries for convenience, just to curse at each other, and just for the bride to stay home and do nothing their entire life.
Most of them worked at some point though, usually up until they had children.

I raised my daughter in a town like that in Bergen County. I was not wealthy enough to sit home and in fact ended up being a divorced mom, so I was in the minority of women who worked. We found one another, though, and made up a nice network and did our Girl Scout meetings in the evenings. Not that the SAHMS weren't nice--most of them were indeed, but you just don't have much in common with women whose biggest problem is their angst over not being able to find exactly the right curtains for their living room when you are struggling to pay the rent.

As soon as my daughter graduated from high school, I bailed to a different area.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:03 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,238,636 times
Utah County, UT, Amish dominated areas, and Hasidic Jewish areas like Kiryas Joel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.