Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will become the third largest metropolitan area by 2020?
DFW 59 28.10%
Chicago 151 71.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Wow, your really uneducated.. i think i knew that.. ummm albuquerque has only 528,000 people and the metro is at around 859,000..its a mid-sized..and well albuquerque only gained about 13,000 people so far this year and the city has gained 77,000 people in the last 7 years, so why are you bitching?

How could you compare tiny albuquerque to chicago??.. doesnt make sense, since you love new mexico soooo much haha.
You mean "you're uneducated"? Speaking of which...

Anyways, you're missing the point here. My point was that Chicagoland has added almost as many people to the area as there are in Albuquerque alone. Thats a lot of people! You think that Chicagoland isn't doing well, but you seem oblivious to the FACT that Chicagoland has gained an impressive amount of people in recent times. In fact I believe it was the only metro outside of the sunbelt that did so. So please, quit trying to make it sound like Chicagoland is losing people because, well, its NOT.

And yes, I do love NM. Its a beautiful state, and I'd love to retire there someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I wonder what the growth pattern is.

No one moves to Texas, or stays in Texas, because it's an interesting place to be while young. The image of the state as a whole, and especially of Dallas, is radically different. Young people fresh out of college don't say "Gosh I'd love to live in the South! Sprawl? Sign me up! I want to be as suburban as possible, in fact, I ought to buy a suburban!"

Stereotypes? Yes. But only to a certain extent-- Texas is all about living in sprawl.

So if they can't afford NYC (and few can) or don't find San Francisco to their liking, most young college graduates gravitate towards Chicago.

But you have to wonder, at what point do they actually decide to give up urban life and all the benefits to move to Texas? More than likely it's when they are married and about to have kids. But you have to consider when/where it happens.
I like how you said TEXAS...you meant the university right? the one located in Austin TEXAS with it's infamous reputation of being a party city cocked and loaded with young people...that Texas?
or did you mean Dallas?
Which by all means can be urban if you do go to the right areas, Chicago is cold...young people don't like cold...fresh out of college and looking FOR A JOB?
hmm...well, maybe Dallas isn't New York...but I can sure say its AFFORDABLE and is growing FAST.
Texas might be the only state not in a recession? maybe a little to strong of a phrase...but you get the gist...
So all in all, anyone who has a brain would take a growing affordable market over a few skyscrapers correct?
not saying Chicago is all glass on steel in the air, I know it too has a strong economy, but get real...
Dallas Fort Worth is growing fast, and I don't know what you mean by people not staying in Texas...some don't but a good chuck of them do...
and if things keep going the way they are...meaning the economy going downhill and Texas...going the opposite direction(meaning up)...
Then Texas will be the new California of the early 1900s...
that being said, Chicago is not inferior.
I'm sure many young people really do want an urban life, and it their right to want one.
Chicagoland is still growing as well...

Old 10-15-2008, 06:19 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
So if they can't afford NYC (and few can) or don't find San Francisco to their liking, most young college graduates gravitate towards Chicago.
Source. Prove this crap. Because I know you made it up. Texas and Chicago has many young college grads gravitating to it. So prove it. Do you really think most college kids care about sprawl anyway or even know what it is.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You mean "you're uneducated"? Speaking of which...

Anyways, you're missing the point here. My point was that Chicagoland has added almost as many people to the area as there are in Albuquerque alone. Thats a lot of people! You think that Chicagoland isn't doing well, but you seem oblivious to the FACT that Chicagoland has gained an impressive amount of people in recent times. In fact I believe it was the only metro outside of the sunbelt that did so. So please, quit trying to make it sound like Chicagoland is losing people because, well, its NOT.

And yes, I do love NM. Its a beautiful state, and I'd love to retire there someday.

Chicago city proper is in fact losing people..so..look who is wrong, as a urban planning major i think i know about 10 times more than someone who thinks he is all that on a forum haha, just like heather wilson says- you cant just talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk..and when you do move to NM come with a positive attitude.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Chicago city proper is in fact losing people..so..look who is wrong, as a urban planning major i think i know about 10 times more than someone who thinks he is all that on a forum haha
Yes, Chicago has lost a small percentage of its population, I never disputed that. I said ChicagoLAND area. And ChicagoLAND has added almost as much people in the last 10 years as there are people in the entire city of Albuquerque. End of story.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 PM

56 posts, read 118,621 times
Quote:
Chicago city proper is in fact losing people..so..look who is wrong, as a urban planning major i think i know about 10 times more than someone who thinks he is all that on a forum haha, just like heather wilson says- you cant just talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk..and when you do move to NM come with a positive attitude.
Can you explain to me then how its population is about to hit 3 million for the first time in twenty years. Just curious. Its population now is like 2.99 million...thats up from 2.89...

Chicago is back on the map! (even though it was never off )

800,000 more till we match L.A! Lol

Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
I can tell you this if Dallas and Fort Worth start acting as metro area the sky are the limit. Chicago is apart of the rustbelt and the rust belt is on decline. The sunbelt is region is on the rise. If DFW population is growing at this rate now during a recession. Imagine the growth that will take place during the next expansion period.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
FWIW if Philadelphias metro were allowed to expand 13,000 sq miles like Dallas + Chi it might have more people than both of those metroes combined. These my boat is bigger than your boat threads are an absolute joke.

Who cares?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I can tell you this if Dallas and Fort Worth start acting as metro area the sky are the limit. Chicago is apart of the rustbelt and the rust belt is on decline. The sunbelt is region is on the rise. If DFW population is growing at this rate now during a recession. Imagine the growth that will take place during the next expansion period.
Chicago is in the rustbelt region but it is not a rustbelt city. The city has lost population but the metro has growing a healthy clip for some time now.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You're an idiot, Chicago is not Detroit... this thread is retarded, there's my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.