Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will become the third largest metropolitan area by 2020?
DFW 59 28.10%
Chicago 151 71.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Mortal enemy... no. Rivals... not really.
Dallas is more like... a big sister that gets all the attention.
You man, Dallas is Marcia Brady and Ft Worth is Jan? Hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I don't think many people on this thread have said Chicago is a better city than Dallas (there have been a few outburst)...

But if city population and density don't define how "good" a city is then why do these threads about population always turn into Chicagoans...or people from the larger metro thinking they are superior??

If population does not define a city then why keep making it such an issue?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You man, Dallas is Marcia Brady and Ft Worth is Jan? Hilarious!
That's the best analogy I've ever seen for the two cities.

The city of Dallas itself is trying to compete more with Houston than any other city, really. Dallas only includes the surounding cities to make itself look bigger, I believe. So Chicago isn't that close in sight for ol' Marcia.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Yea i agree that some people from cities like Chicago and New York(both great cities) do in fact think they are superior and think the rest is inferior. This is a shame, because many areas of the country have so much to offer! It would be boring if all of the cities were exactly like Chicago and New York. They wouldn't be as special anymore as well. I live in the international district/chinatown right on the outskirts of downtown Seattle and enjoy it, but i can't see myself living in downtown Chicago(well i might) or NY like you were saying. Its ok to really like the city one lives in, but to act like no other cities can match up because they are not just like your city is kind of a shame. I'm glad we have variety so there is something for everyone, like Phoenix being spread out(a lot of people like their space but enjoy what big city living has to offer), San Diego having a nice downtown, but not too tall or too big(gives it a laid back feel but still urban, and allows for better views of the natural scenery), Seattle has an awesome skyline, quite dense and pretty tall, but if it was any taller i think it might get in the way of the great natural views that compliment it.
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that all cities are different and unique, and I really am bothered that you think that people in Chicago or NYC think all other cities are "inferior". Sure, other cities might be smaller and have less to do, etc, but in no way inferior. Each city offers something that the next doesnt. And you dont see New Yorkers or Chicagoans creating polls like "do you think NYC will be the biggest city forever?" or "will Chicago always be the 3rd largest city?", etc, etc, etc. I see those types of polls on a weekly basis from sunbelt city dwellers, almost like you guys have some kind of inferiority complex or something, I cant figure some of your obsessions out. haha Just take your city for what its worth, enjoy what it offers and live life w/o worrying what city is going to overtake another in population.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I hope Dallas isn't trying for that dense city urban feel. Its not Dallas-Dallas should have more of what they have now, not try to emulate some other city.
It is not a secret that most people that want to live in a big city want to live the urban lifestyle and density comes with that lifestyle. Dallas is not trying to be like any other city. But they want to densify the city and become more urban which it is not. The current infrastructure Dallas has right now will cause the city to decline in the next few decades so they are trying to change that. Dallas will never be like New York. But it will be better than the Dallas of now. What should they try to do?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that all cities are different and unique, and I really am bothered that you think that people in Chicago or NYC think all other cities are "inferior". Sure, other cities might be smaller and have less to do, etc, but in no way inferior. Each city offers something that the next doesnt. And you dont see New Yorkers or Chicagoans creating polls like "do you think NYC will be the biggest city forever?" or "will Chicago always be the 3rd largest city?", etc, etc, etc. I see those types of polls on a weekly basis from sunbelt city dwellers, almost like you guys have some kind of inferiority complex or something, I cant figure some of your obsessions out. haha Just take your city for what its worth, enjoy what it offers and live life w/o worrying what city is going to overtake another in population.
I have never once made a poll like that lol and I don't live in the sunbelt. I never would, because for the things Chicago offers that Seattle can't, there are soooo many things Seattle offers Chicago can't, as well as nyc etc etc. I don't think any cities are superior, however there are those that act that way. As the saying goes, bigger is not always better. I wouldn't want any cities to try and be like another, although i'm all for cleaning up problems that exist! But yea i have definatly seen lots of people in cities like New York and Chicago that think and will often say other cities aren't as good, which is a shame!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas may pass the Bay area and Boston sometime in the next decade and than the Washington-Baltimore area in the decade after if the trends continue but that's it. I think for sure Dallas will pass the Bay sometime around 2015. But it's still fun to talk about seeing as how it's all speculation.. Nobody in here actually knows.
Dallas is larger than Boston.

Dallas is larger than metro DC. It is not larger when Baltimore is added with DC.

Dallas is larger than SF. It is not larger when Oakland and San Jose are added. However, it's not very far behind.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Dallas may not pass up Chicago by 2020... but the DFW area can.

Remember, folks, Dallas isn't DFW. DFW is Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington (the three main cities), Irving, Plano, and the suburbs around the area.

I know I sound like a broken record... but being a Ft. Worth native, I can't get tired of reminding people that Dallas isn't the whole area, ya know? Gotta represent... And I keep seeing Dallas, this and Dallas that... as if it's the only city in North Texas with over 300,000 people.....

That being said... yeah WE, the whole AREA will pass Chicago up.
Dallas/Ft. Worth is one giant suburban mass. It is all connected to one another. With Dallas being the bigger city, Forth Worth usually gets left out of the mix, even though they are including it and its suburbs amongst their talk of "Dallas".

Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
there are soooo many things Seattle offers Chicago can't, as well as nyc etc etc
Got some examples?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Dallas/Ft. Worth is one giant suburban mass. It is all connected to one another. With Dallas being the bigger city, Forth Worth usually gets left out of the mix, even though they are including it and its suburbs amongst their talk of "Dallas".
Believe me, Dallas being the bigger city has nothing to do with leaving Ft. Worth and Arlington out of the conversation. It's just been like that for the longest. And I swear, if I could change that, I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.