Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:53 AM

46 posts, read 74,086 times

Advertisements

to me when you wrote

"-Affordable (this is relative, but let's say not too much over the U.S. average)
-Outdoorsy (plenty of places to hike, bike, kayak, etc). I'm more into summer sports than winter sports. That being said, even though I don't ski or board, I've still enjoyed the Rockies.
- Small city/big town desired. I would say anywhere between 25,000 - 200,00 people (the metropolitan area can be bigger)
- Relatively sunny weather. Denver will be tough to beat.
- 4 seasons or mediterranean temps. I'd consider both. What I don't like are really hot/humid temps or long winters.
- Fun downtown, or an emerging downtown with some energy. I don't drink much but I do like a vibrant downtown. And I love my coffee shops.
- Not too much traffic
- It would be nice if it had an entrepreneurial scene
- I like both beach and mountains, but prefer mountains. And rivers/forests.
- A community feel where people are friendly and say hello and get to know you.
- It would be nice if it were close to an airport and somewhat close to a larger city, but not necessary."

you were describing perfectly Redmond Oregon. All of those things you asked for fit it really well. And what's pretty amazing about this place is there are several really nice towns that have most of the same attributes close by. So Redmond fits all those things you listed 100%. Nearby Bend OR is also very nice but it's too expensive and has some really bad traffic, unlike Redmond. Sisters OR nearby is similar to Bend in the expensive and traffic departments. But both those towns fit all your other requirements. Nearby Prineville OR also fits everything you said but the downtown is a bit lacking.

I could make a big huge list of all the things this area has but it's been posted elsewhere.
But I would like to mention one of the great things here, and it's related to the weather being so mild, it never gets too hot, it almost never gets too cold, it's seldom windy, and it's almost never humid. Directly related to that climate are bugs. Very few bugs here. No nasty spiders (black widows for instance), few ticks (I've got 10 acres and 2 dogs and in 6 years not one tick), no mosquitoes here in Redmond or Bend, I've yet to see a cockroach, hardly any flies, no gnats or no-see-ums, no fire ants, no ants in your home, almost no snakes....etc. Average annual rainfall is 8 to 10 inches.

Last edited by awasner; 06-24-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Prescott, AZ sounds perfect. Makes Denver look cloudy and gloomy in comparison. Has mild winters, mild summers, tons of outdoor activities, and is relatively affordable.
Sure, if you don't mind living in a retirement community, where the only positive aspect is literally the outdoors.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:44 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
[quote=QuilterChick;52176229]T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
Yes but the eastern states are humid, which the thread creator wants to avoid.
A bit of a blanket statement as areas with higher elevation in the Eastern US are fairly bearable for those who aren't too delicate.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:02 AM

155 posts, read 287,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Frederick Maryland is an idea. It is about 45 minutes from DC if traffic isn't too bad.

It has a nice downtown area and is adjacent to some mountains with some great overlooks. The summers up there are pretty mild in my view.
I actually worked a summer in Thurmont, MD at Catoctin Mountain Park. Beautiful area.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
If you don't like humidity, then the eastern half of the US is completely out of the question. You will still have some winters out west depending where you go. California would be perfect if it weren't for the traffic, population, and the high expensiveness. Pacific Northwest weather is too drowsy and cloudy for you, but I would love to move there, since I love that kind of weather. I am not sure about community feel there, but I heard the PNW is pretty introverted. You could try Arizona and live in an area that is not too hot. Arizona does get a little snow in some areas, but I haven't lived there to see how much. Well, it's a desert, so I would not expect a lot of precipitation. You could try New Mexico where it is not as hot as Arizona, but New Mexico winters seem like the temperatures get low. Closest beach would be in Mexico, but the benefit of Arizona is that you can drive into SoCal to access the nearest beach.

Out of curiosity, I observed temperatures of random areas out west through weather apps.

I am from the east coast where we have damp winters, so our winters feel colder than what winters feel like out west. Again, I am not from the west, so I would not know what a dry desert-like winter feels like. I assume a Denver winter temperature feels warmer than what I get in NJ, but Denver receives a lot of snow.
True, I did say I don't like humidity, but I know it's tough to meet all of my criteria, so that's one I'd be willing to concede.

Things like affordability, traffic, outdoorsy, population size, and length of winter are some of the higher priorities.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Besides hot/humid summers, I'd love to hear opinions about Chattanooga as far as meeting my criteria in my original post.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
The Lehigh Valley region of eastern PA meets many of your criteria (esp'ly Allentown and Easton). Lots of places to hike, bike, kayak (Appalachian Trail is nearby). The towns aren't especially large, and have good colleges that contribute to the arts & sports scenes. I live in Philly (about 1.25-1.5 hrs south), and have always had positive interactions w/ the locals. Winters can be short/long/in-between, but the other seasons are pleasant (fall color!!). Easton (the eastern-most city of the region) is about 1 1/4 hrs from Newark airport, and both NYC and Philly are easily doable as day trips.
I can't speak to traffic issues (or lack of), but can say that in my time in all three cities (Bethlehem, Allentown, and Easton) I've never had one of the "oh crap, not AGAIN!" moments that are so common in Philly.
Downtown Bethlehem and Easton are pleasant - restaurants, shops, book stores, etc.
Do a virtual drive of the area on Google Street View. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I did a cross-country trip last year traveling from my home in Southern California to New York City (Manhattan) and back, and I enjoyed the experience. One of the towns I liked the most was Easton, Pennsylvania. I was pleasantly surprised at how quant the town was. I parked and walked around a bit and then ventured across the bridge into New Jersey. Easton is situated in a very scenic hilly area, right on the banks of two rivers (I think?). I did, however, notice a bit of riff-raff hanging around near downtown, but that can be expected in most places. The parts of Easton that are up in the hills (near and around where the junior college is) are nice; a lot of quaint, well-kept homes.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
I did a little research on Prescott last year. It sounded good, except that the median age is 56. I'm looking for something younger. Otherwise, it checked off a lot of the boxes!
LOL. But what happens when you surpass the median age in your chosen city? Do you stay, or move elsewhere?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM

Any thoughts on Bozeman Montana as far as my criteria (except for the long winters)?

And Chattanooga (except for the hot/humid summers)?

(I may need 2 homes). LOL

Old 07-13-2018, 03:39 PM

485 posts, read 324,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
I visited Boise last year but there was something about it I didn't like. I actually like Ogden and Salt Lake City Utah much better, especially in terms of their beauty/scenery.
Yes, I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
It's at least as sunny as Denver. Winters are milder, summers are cooler, but can have more T-Storms. The downtown is okay, even if it punches below its weight. Much closer to natural stands of trees/semi-forest than Denver is. I've always thought the people were nicer down there. It has a nice/quiet airport, and if you still needed DEN on occasion, it's only about 1.5 hours away.
You're right on about Colorado Springs...I grew up there and I loved it, so beautiful!

Other suggestions:
Redding, CA
Bend, OR
Flagstaff, AZ
Spokane, WA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.