Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:08 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
To the OP: Depending on where you are, there are some neighborhoods where the homes are detached from each other with no common walls, just like traditional houses, and you own the land right underneath it but the homeowners association owns and maintains the land around the house.

I would not want shared walls, but I wonder what to do with the "little land" that comes with my house. I was thinking of turning it into a garden so that I don't have to mow or trim grass. It's so stupid that we have to mow a lawn and keep the corners of grass neat just to look socially acceptable to the public and visitors. Gardening is easy and requires no equipment and it is more fun and useful then just mow mow mow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 06:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I would not want shared walls, but I wonder what to do with the "little land" that comes with my house. I was thinking of turning it into a garden so that I don't have to mow or trim grass. It's so stupid that we have to mow a lawn and keep the corners of grass neat just to look socially acceptable to the public and visitors. Gardening is easy and requires no equipment and it is more fun and useful then just mow mow mow.
That's a good idea.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:11 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
I seem to hear regularly how people are disappointed with how little land they get with their house when they move to my home town. But, I also hear how little they get for their money too, so we likely aren't a high value area although markets are rapidly appreciating.

So I guess it comes down to how small is small when it comes to house and land, What cost is reasonable to expect for that space, What type of physical environment to you want around this little plot of happiness you seek, what type of social and political environment do you want around since you have a self described alternative lifestyle, What activities do you want to participate in around your small lot of land when you leave the confines of you home.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I seem to hear regularly how people are disappointed with how little land they get with their house when they move to my home town. But, I also hear how little they get for their money too, so we likely aren't a high value area although markets are rapidly appreciating.

So I guess it comes down to how small is small when it comes to house and land, What cost is reasonable to expect for that space, What type of physical environment to you want around this little plot of happiness you seek, what type of social and political environment do you want around since you have a self described alternative lifestyle, What activities do you want to participate in around your small lot of land when you leave the confines of you home.
Quote:
how small is small when it comes to house and land
Here is an example of a small home in NJ I don't mind living in (although I don't have a desire to live back in NJ): https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M53103-72694
You can tell from the side width that the home is not as small as the front shows you. I've looked up small homes in WA and they have cottage homes that are even smaller than this house. I definitely don't want land that size though.

Quote:
What cost is reasonable to expect for that space
I guess anything below $100,000. I've done some research on Zillow by searching homes in states I wouldn't mind living in such as Washington and Oregon.

Quote:
What type of physical environment to you want around this little plot of happiness you seek
It really doesn't matter. I am not looking for a scenic view outside the front or back of my house. I would be concerned about tall trees near my house, but I can always get help to cut that down. I would not want a huge body of water near my house in case it floods. I'd also prefer to only live on flat land. Hills cause more stress on cars.

Quote:
what type of social and political environment do you want around since you have a self described alternative lifestyle
I'd prefer to live either close or in a neighborhood with young people. However, diversity of ethnicity won't be decent in a semi-rural area.

Quote:
What activities do you want to participate in around your small lot of land when you leave the confines of you home
i am not the kind of person who enjoys staying home all the day being obsessed with a yard or my home. I would like to be around outdoor activities such as hiking and live not extremely far from a metropolitan-like area.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Gardens are more work, and you do need tools.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Gardens are more work, and you do need tools.

Nah I enjoy that. I'd love to grow some food like tomatoes. Yes, it would take some work, but I just don't like dealing with grass and having to use a lawn mower. Gardening is scenic and you an grow some veggies.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Nah I enjoy that. I'd love to grow some food like tomatoes. Yes, it would take some work, but I just don't like dealing with grass and having to use a lawn mower. Gardening is scenic and you an grow some veggies.
Dude just cut the grass. You're willing to do garden work for hours but not 20 minutes cutting the grass? It's really easy, drink you a beer as you go if you want. Seems silly to go this far out ofyour way to avoid a yard just to sit outside for hours and garden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.