Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times

Advertisements

Rate Sacramento vs. Dallas on the following:

1. Economy
2. Scenery
3. Public transportation
4. Universities
5. Downtown
6. Master-planned suburbs
7. Weather
8. Food

I really like Dallas over Sacramento, but I have a feeling that Sacramento will win in a landslide JUST BECAUSE it's in California. Yep, even the least desirable cities in California (Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton) will win over Houston or Dallas JUST BECAUSE they're in California, doesn't matter how good Houston or Dallas or Atlanta or Phoenix are.

Unfortunately, so many people in California have never been outside California and don't know what the rest of the country has to offer. I bet you more Californians have never been outside of California than Texans who have never been outside of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Maybe people in CA don't feel the need to escape.

I don't see a real question in your OP. Seems like more of a rant against CA.

Texas is okay. I like most Texans I meet. I don't like scorpions or humidity, though. It's a decent place to visit. But, no, I'd rather stay in CA, thank you.

One think Dallas and Sacramento do have in common is traffic, though.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Not really interested in rating these based on the criteria.

I am one of those pro-Cali folk who really love the state and its big cities including Sacramento. But I would pick Dallas in this comparison. I like both Dallas and Houston quite a bit for living and think those cities would slide in ahead of Sacramento but behind LA, SF and SD for me. Just being honest.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:06 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Dallas

Old 06-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Maybe people in CA don't feel the need to escape.

I don't see a real question in your OP. Seems like more of a rant against CA.

Texas is okay. I like most Texans I meet. I don't like scorpions or humidity, though. It's a decent place to visit. But, no, I'd rather stay in CA, thank you.

One think Dallas and Sacramento do have in common is traffic, though.
I am a lifelong Californian and I certainly love Southern California, especially Irvine. A huge fan of all Irvine has to offer--the master planning, the efficiency, the Mediterranean architecture and landscaping, the Irvine Spectrum, the hiking, the Chinese food, the beaches that are only 15 minutes away, etc. Also the rolling hills of South Orange County, Saddleback Mountain, the view of Lake Elsinore going down from Ortega Highway, etc. And Temecula, with its wine country and old town. I like being no more than 2 hours from the Cochella Valley desert, too.

I like San Fran's robust, heavily used (albeit terribly run-down) subway and compact skyline, as well as the view from Twin Peaks. I even enjoy the Inland Empire's (relatively) conservative, open-expanse, western vibe.

So this is no rant against California. I'm just saying Sacramento is seriously overrated. Look at the airport. Sure, Terminal B is nice, but is it anything compared to the sprawling behemoth of DFW airport? Or light rail/public transportation. Is anyone seriously saying Sacramento RT light rail holds a candle to Dallas' DART light rail? Is anyone seriously saying that Sacramento's downtown can compare with Dallas' in terms of museums and skylilne? I don't think so.

Everyone outside of California thinks that since Sacramento is in California Sacramento must have wonderfully balmy summers, no more than 80 degrees, cool and breezy like coastal California. Then they come here and it's a big surprise--long, frequent heat waves without a drop of rain all summer to cool things off. Then, chilly nights that can plummet to the mid 50s--far too cold for a sunrise walk. Not to mention the Pacific is too cold for swimming, even in the summer.

Dallas does have tornados and ice storms, which could be a deal breaker. But if Dallas had Florida weather, just like Houston, Dallas weather would win, hands-down over Sacramento.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Dallas is several leagues above Sacramento as a city and as the DFW metro area, this is not a fair comparison at all. If you were to compare DFW against a similarly sized metro area like the San Francisco Bay Area, then you'd have a more legit argument.

I personally feel Sacramento is actually quite underrated because it's in California and has a lot of competition against the more "glamorous" coastal cities in the Bay Area and Southern California. It has a good location between the mountains and coasts. If Sacramento were the Capital City of a smaller state or a state that didn't have two Alpha Metro Areas, it would get more praise. Sacramento is a lot more comparable to Austin or Nashville in terms of size and amenities.

This sounds more like a rant against California, Californians, and posters on C-D than a legitimate poll/looking for other posters opinions or a stealth way to get people to bash Texas. Dallas isn't my favorite city by a long-shot, but I'd rather live there than many cities, and comparing it to a mid-sized city is ridiculous.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:18 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Rate Sacramento vs. Dallas on the following:

1. Economy
2. Scenery
3. Public transportation
4. Universities
5. Downtown
6. Master-planned suburbs
7. Weather
8. Food

I really like Dallas over Sacramento, but I have a feeling that Sacramento will win in a landslide JUST BECAUSE it's in California. Yep, even the least desirable cities in California (Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton) will win over Houston or Dallas JUST BECAUSE they're in California, doesn't matter how good Houston or Dallas or Atlanta or Phoenix are.

Unfortunately, so many people in California have never been outside California and don't know what the rest of the country has to offer. I bet you more Californians have never been outside of California than Texans who have never been outside of Texas.
Texans have a tendency to leave Texas to tell others how great Texas is.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texans have a tendency to leave Texas to tell others how great Texas is.
Read the above posts. I am a native son of California, and I still prefer most anywhere in Texas over Sacramento.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:36 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCG99 View Post
Sacramento is a much more beautiful city then Dallas with waaaay better weather an way cooler stufd nearby. Both cities have extremely dangerous gang filled ghettos on there southsides.
Lmaooooo at “extremely dangerous gang filled ghettos on there southsides”.

Whoa, people on this forum are hilarious!!!!

Please tell me what gangs are dominating the Southern half of Dallas. They must be incognito because I’ve never seen gangs rampaging Dallas’ Southern half. This isn’t Chicago!

Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Sacramento is Cinderella and her “evil” step sisters are LA, San Diego, and Orange County. Sacramento’s “evil” step Mother is San Francisco.

The OP and his thread is a good example of this sentiment and how Sacramento’s evil step sisters treat Sacramento. We are used to it.

Regarding the threads criteria, Sacramento beats Dallas on most, except economy, few cities top Dallas regarding their economy.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-20-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.