Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:05 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Never been to both
I would say Sacramento wins.
I mean COL with taxes is less in Texas. Housing is more in CA and you probably get more bang for your buck in Dallas.

From I read on Dallas and word of mouth from others it is an amazing City.

I take Sacramento due to it's dry summers. Also heard snows sometimes in Sacramento compared to ice of Dallas. Weather is a big factor in selection. In Sacramento you are prone to Earthquakes and wildfires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
50 degrees is too cold for a sunrise walk? Just absolutely laughable.
Right? Lol. It stays below 50 here typically from mid November til early or mid March depending on the year. I guess its just to cold to ever walk in much of the country

I spent my Christmas evening ice skating on a pond at 0 degrees. Well, at least I wasn't walking!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:50 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Never been to both
I would say Sacramento wins.
I mean COL with taxes is less in Texas. Housing is more in CA and you probably get more bang for your buck in Dallas.

From I read on Dallas and word of mouth from others it is an amazing City.

I take Sacramento due to it's dry summers. Also heard snows sometimes in Sacramento compared to ice of Dallas. Weather is a big factor in selection. In Sacramento you are prone to Earthquakes and wildfires.
Maybe the years I spent in DFW were odd ones out, but I never saw this "ice" people speak of. I saw very rare light snowfalls and frost, but never ice (like freezing rain) I did see that in San Angelo, Texas, though. Which is several hours away from Dallas. People talk about "ice storms" but they don't seem common at all. And maybe its cuz I live in a city that becomes a literal winter wonderland for 3-4 months sometimes more, but I don't get the big deal of an ice storm that happens once every few years. The only ice you really gotta worry about in Dallas is the hard chunks that fall in the spring during a heavy storm.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:19 AM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
In Sacramento you are prone to Earthquakes and wildfires.
There are no earthquakes or wildfires in Sacramento. Sac is far away from the fault lines. Last earthquake that was felt in Sac was Loma Prieta in 1989.

Wildfires do occur but it's at least 75 miles outside of Sac

Old 06-26-2018, 12:39 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
There are no earthquakes or wildfires in Sacramento. Sac is far away from the fault lines. Last earthquake that was felt in Sac was Loma Prieta in 1989.

Wildfires do occur but it's at least 75 miles outside of Sac
Still can occur but less likely. It's one of the reasons want to move to Sacramento.

Also Sacramento is close to the ocean and mountains. A river and forest in/within/around the City. Relatively decent cost of living. Traffic isn't terrible compared to other areas of California. Summers are dry not humid. Job market isn't bad. Good sleu of universities. One of the less Liberal areas of the State. Has a good running and outdoor vibe.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:35 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Maybe the years I spent in DFW were odd ones out, but I never saw this "ice" people speak of. I saw very rare light snowfalls and frost, but never ice (like freezing rain) I did see that in San Angelo, Texas, though. Which is several hours away from Dallas. People talk about "ice storms" but they don't seem common at all. And maybe its cuz I live in a city that becomes a literal winter wonderland for 3-4 months sometimes more, but I don't get the big deal of an ice storm that happens once every few years. The only ice you really gotta worry about in Dallas is the hard chunks that fall in the spring during a heavy storm.
Ice storms happens about 70% of the time during each winter season. On average we see about 1 or 2 major winter weather events in Dallas. When we do get ice storms, they are no joke. I’ve seen tree branches snap right in front of me during ice storms, causing power outages. It’s not fun driving on black ice at all.

The crazy thing is that the temps could literally be in the upper 70s to the low 80s the day before. A major cold front plummets temps into the teens and twenties with ice behind it. The wind behind the front is usually very strong, making it feel like the single digits and some isolated locations below zero. A couple of days later, it’s warm again with sunshine. It truly can be a weather whiplash....

Old 06-26-2018, 05:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
We got nothing last year. It just depends on the weather patterns from year to year.
I do feel like people exaggerate the freezing cold that can hit this area periodically.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:10 AM

85 posts, read 92,019 times
DFW/Plano without a doubt.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 AM

59 posts, read 68,385 times
Plano for sure.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Ahhhh, the Sacramento Delta Breeze, a ton of folks strolling Sacramento's Urban Grid Midweek on this lovely Sacramento evening: all types, young families, old folks, hipsters, happy hour regulars, Al Fresco diners galore. Sacramento is looking pretty fine.

6:30 in the evening, June 27, 2018

Sacramento: 79F, consistent COOL Bay-Delta Breezes, thank you Pacific Ocean and the Delta.

Denver: 92F
Austin: 97F, heat index
Dallas: 98F, heat index
Phoenix: 108F

Happy Retirement, Sacramento Boy - Chief Justice of the Supreme Court - Anthony Kennedy

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-27-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.