U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 08:53 PM

15,628 posts, read 25,472,839 times

Advertisements

I think the best option is Raleigh.

Number 2? Minneapolis.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-23-2018, 09:03 PM

8,321 posts, read 8,438,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
https://militarybenefits.info/bah-ra...massachusetts/

It should also be noted that BAH is untaxed.
Interesting. I guess I just never really thought of East Coast cities as big military towns (with the exception of DC/VA and obviously West Point), but I’m somewhat uneducated on the subject.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:06 PM

11,904 posts, read 12,075,498 times
Better not go to Boston, if there is a city that has a greater proportion of untaxable land I would be shocked

Old 06-25-2018, 05:47 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,850,997 times
Rant: I’m still reeling about Atlanta being removed from contention; considering the Army’s current $2B+ research contract with Georgia Tech, the ease of being able to recruit personnel to the area, major airport, reasonable COL and proximity to very large & significant nearby Army bases at Fort Benning (Columbus, GA) and Fort Gordon (Augusta).

Oh well, what do I know.. My bet is on Raleigh/Durham landing this new command.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 AM

61,286 posts, read 49,885,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Minneapolis may be cold a three to four months out of the year, but it still beats out the likes of Raleigh and Austin - easily.
OK whatever you say, which is just your opinion. As mine is just my opinion, though I did at least give some actual facts along with it.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:17 AM

8,315 posts, read 4,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Rant: I’m still reeling about Atlanta being removed from contention; considering the Army’s current $2B+ research contract with Georgia Tech, the ease of being able to recruit personnel to the area, major airport, reasonable COL and proximity to very large & significant nearby Army bases at Fort Benning (Columbus, GA) and Fort Gordon (Augusta).

Oh well, what do I know.. My bet is on Raleigh/Durham landing this new command.
I bet it was the traffic and air quality that killed Atlanta's chances. Just goes to show that hindsight is 20/20.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:57 AM

23,872 posts, read 36,938,770 times
From the article "The Army wants the center to be near experts in technology and innovation who can figure out emerging threats and what equipment will be needed to answer them." Coupled with that desire Raleigh makes the most sense in my opinion given the presence of Research Triangle Park in neighboring Durham as well as the presence/research of three well-respected universities (Duke University, U of North Carolina and North Carolina State U). Not to mention a more moderate climate and attractiveness for families given quality of schools, safety and cost of living. It's more centralized location on the east coast would seem favorable as well.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,526,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
From the article "The Army wants the center to be near experts in technology and innovation who can figure out emerging threats and what equipment will be needed to answer them." Coupled with that desire Raleigh makes the most sense in my opinion given the presence of Research Triangle Park in neighboring Durham as well as the presence/research of three well-respected universities (Duke University, U of North Carolina and North Carolina State U). Not to mention a more moderate climate and attractiveness for families given quality of schools, safety and cost of living. It's more centralized location on the east coast would seem favorable as well.
All of those arguments could be made for Boston as well. Except maybe cost of living which likely isn't an important factor. Raleigh is centrally located along the East Coast but Boston is actually connected to the major East Coast cities.

Raleigh just feels more like an appropriate place for an Army HQ though.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM

3,186 posts, read 8,006,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
All of those arguments could be made for Boston as well. Except maybe cost of living which likely isn't an important factor. Raleigh is centrally located along the East Coast but Boston is actually connected to the major East Coast cities.

Raleigh just feels more like an appropriate place for an Army HQ though.
Also, Ft. Bragg which is the largest Army Base in the world is only about 60 miles south of Raleigh. That's most likely another consideration as well as the famed research universities in the Triangle.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,455,813 times
Minnesota currently has no military bases besides that National Guard bases that every state has. This means that it is missing out on its share of the federal largesse associated with military spending. This may be a factor that works in its favor on the political side.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-25-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.