U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:02 PM

926 posts, read 511,472 times

Advertisements

I believe it will either be Raleigh or Austin.
Too many powerful Southerners in Congress at the moment.I think it will be Raleigh.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM

7,533 posts, read 9,219,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Philadelphia really does not have a very high cost of living, particularly for a big city.
There's a false narrative on CD that Philly has a low COL. It is lower than 3 of its BoshWash cousins (Boston, NYC and DC), but it is more expensive than cities such as Denver, Toronto, Vancouver, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale and Montreal, to name a few. We moved to Philly from Houston. Houston is cheap. Philly is not.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america

Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM

36,320 posts, read 35,204,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
There's a false narrative on CD that Philly has a low COL. It is lower than 3 of its BoshWash cousins (Boston, NYC and DC), but it is more expensive than cities such as Denver, Toronto, Vancouver, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale and Montreal, to name a few. We moved to Philly from Houston. Houston is cheap. Philly is not.

For big urban cities, Philly and Chicago are great bargains overall. Of course, the swankiest parts of each city are pretty much on par with their peers but you can make a reasonable home purchase without selling a kidney and living in the hood in those two cities.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:24 PM

9,431 posts, read 14,404,098 times
Quote:

I was born and raised in Philly and then lived in DC for 20+ years and now live in the Raleigh metro so I wasn't basing it on what C-D says but my experiences. Philly IS a reasonably priced, large, East Coast city. Also, I was responding to someone who said Boston and Philly are much more expensive than the other contenders for the Army HQ. In reality, Philly is less expensive than Boston. And with the cost of living in Raleigh and Austin increasing in the last few years due to their recent popularity, they are catching up in costs with Philly while still being mid-size cities. Philly is only marginally more expensive than Minneapolis, the other contender for the HQ. If cost is the military's biggest factor, then Philly won't be their first choice. But if size of the city comes into play, then Philly gives a lot of bang for the buck for a large city, not to mention its location on the East Coast near DC.

Last edited by michgc; 06-29-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 05:40 PM

500 posts, read 488,918 times
They should put it in Huntsville, Alabama or San Diego.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:43 AM

7,533 posts, read 9,219,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I was born and raised in Philly and then lived in DC for 20+ years and now live in the Raleigh metro so I wasn't basing it on what C-D says but my experiences. Philly IS a reasonably priced, large, East Coast city. Also, I was responding to someone who said Boston and Philly are much more expensive than the other contenders for the Army HQ. In reality, Philly is less expensive than Boston. And with the cost of living in Raleigh and Austin increasing in the last few years due to their recent popularity, they are catching up in costs with Philly while still being mid-size cities. Philly is only marginally more expensive than Minneapolis, the other contender for the HQ.
Well, given you haven’t lived in Philly for over 20 years, you may be out of touch with what it takes to live here now. Did you read my post or look at the attachment? I already acknowledged that Boston is more expensive than Philadelphia. But Raleigh and Austin - no. They may be “recently popular” but so is Philly. It’s not like the COL has remained flat here while it’s increasing elsewhere.

Take a look at this COL calculator: https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...s-philadelphia. The cost of living in Philadelphia is 31% higher than in Raleigh, 29% higher than in Austin and 15% higher than in Minneapolis.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:23 PM

19,908 posts, read 30,416,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Fort Hood is about the same distance from Austin, although Killeen is in the Waco-Bryan Metropolitan area.
No Killeen isn’t. It is in its own metro with Temple. Also, there is no such thing as a Waco Bryan metro.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:21 PM

631 posts, read 508,586 times
Top picks are Austin & Raleigh for all the reasons people always mention. I think Raleigh will get it though due to its proximity to Fort Bragg. Austin isn't too far from a base, but I think the Research Triangle will take this one because it is cheaper with all of the schools and amenities they need.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:00 PM

6,662 posts, read 4,534,004 times
Quote:

What an idiodic tool that is. Pure clickbait. For example, transportation appears to be nothing but gas prices!

How about distances, public transit (making big cities much cheaper), and even parking costs?

Apparently there's money to be made giving easy answers to uncritical people.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 PM

5,521 posts, read 3,940,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Top picks are Austin & Raleigh for all the reasons people always mention. I think Raleigh will get it though due to its proximity to Fort Bragg. Austin isn't too far from a base, but I think the Research Triangle will take this one because it is cheaper with all of the schools and amenities they need.
Why is proximity to a major base important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.