U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:57 AM

631 posts, read 506,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Why is proximity to a major base important?
What if they want to test something out? What if they need additional troops or anything military related? It seems easier to get someone to move or simply come over for a day from a nearby base rather than hop on a plane. Command post typically want to be somewhere near where the troops are. Sure they could be anywhere over the internet. However companies prefer to be close to their customers, I don't see why the military wouldn't want to be near their troops.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 AM

61,374 posts, read 49,950,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No Killeen isn’t. It is in its own metro with Temple. Also, there is no such thing as a Waco Bryan metro.
Fort Hood is 80 miles from Austin and Fort Bragg is 77 miles from Raleigh. I'd say the difference in distance is pretty dang close to the same.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:55 PM

7,533 posts, read 9,197,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What an idiodic tool that is. Pure clickbait. For example, transportation appears to be nothing but gas prices!

How about distances, public transit (making big cities much cheaper), and even parking costs?

Apparently there's money to be made giving easy answers to uncritical people.
In spite of your snark, I'll go ahead and address your post.

I have posted two data references to back up my claim that Philly is substantially more expensive than Austin and Raleigh and moderately more expensive than Minneapolis. The first is a statistical compilation of the COLs of 103 North American cities which ranks Philadelphia at Number 24, Minneapolis at Number 29, Austin at Number 49 and Raleigh at Number 69,

The second link I posted is a cost of living calculator. You seem to have problems with that but you have posted . . . let's see . . . exactly nothing to back up your claims that Raleigh and Austin are closing in on a COL that now rivals Philly. And why am I supposed to believe you? Because you lived in Philly over 20 years ago?

Here are two more statistical compilations of the comparison of various cities's COLs:

(1) The first is a 2018 ranking of the relative COLs of 204 western hemisphere cities. It ranks Philadelphia at Number 22, Minneapolis at Number 33, Austin at Number 93 and Raleigh at Number 102 Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site .

(2) The second study generates a cost rating for just about every large and small US city you can imagine (https://www.infoplease.com/business-...ted-us-cities1). The COL composite index score for the cities we've been discussing are as follows:

+ Philadelphia: 126.5
+ Minneapolis: 111
+ Raleigh: 98.2
+ Austin: 95.5

I've yet to find any actual study that indicates the COL of Raleigh and Austin approximate that of Philadelphia. Lest you remain skeptical of the data, show me something that counters it. Until then, I'll rely on actual data rather than some guy on the internet.

Last edited by CavalierKing; 07-02-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 AM

6,635 posts, read 4,497,289 times
I've said nothing about any of that. You're confused.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,302,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
What if they want to test something out? What if they need additional troops or anything military related? It seems easier to get someone to move or simply come over for a day from a nearby base rather than hop on a plane. Command post typically want to be somewhere near where the troops are. Sure they could be anywhere over the internet. However companies prefer to be close to their customers, I don't see why the military wouldn't want to be near their troops.
I was in the military, and efficiency doesn't mean anything there!! If they want to test something out they will pay a whole unit to go across the country just to go across the world.

In theory it would make perfect sense to build a base closer to another large base.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 AM

8,375 posts, read 5,416,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I was in the military, and efficiency doesn't mean anything there!! If they want to test something out they will pay a whole unit to go across the country just to go across the world.

In theory it would make perfect sense to build a base closer to another large base.
For some reason, call me crazy, I don't think "perfect sense" and the military or the government for that matter, have ever gone together!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:25 AM

7,826 posts, read 7,062,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

I have posted two data references to back up my claim that Philly is substantially more expensive than Austin and Raleigh and moderately more expensive than Minneapolis. The first is a statistical compilation of the COLs of 103 North American cities which ranks Philadelphia at Number 24, Minneapolis at Number 29, Austin at Number 49 and Raleigh at Number 69,

The second link I posted is a cost of living calculator. You seem to have problems with that but you have posted . . . let's see . . . exactly nothing to back up your claims that Raleigh and Austin are closing in on a COL that now rivals Philly. And why am I supposed to believe you? Because you lived in Philly over 20 years ago?

Here are two more statistical compilations of the comparison of various cities's COLs:

(1) The first is a 2018 ranking of the relative COLs of 204 western hemisphere cities. It ranks Philadelphia at Number 22, Minneapolis at Number 33, Austin at Number 93 and Raleigh at Number 102 Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site .

(2) The second study generates a cost rating for just about every large and small US city you can imagine (https://www.infoplease.com/business-...ted-us-cities1). The COL composite index score for the cities we've been discussing are as follows:

I've yet to find any actual study that indicates the COL of Raleigh and Austin approximate that of Philadelphia. Lest you remain skeptical of the data, show me something that counters it. Until then, I'll rely on actual data rather than some guy on the internet.
I think a lot of people think COL equals rental rates, when there is sooo much more that goes into it. When comparing rental rates, there is still a sizable gap when comparing Philadelphia to any of those cities, and an even larger gap when comparing the most desirable sections of each city.
That also doesn't take into account, cost of dining, drinking, gas, amenities, groceries, etc. All higher in Philadelphia. I actually think Minneapolis is number 2, Raleigh isn't even remotely close.

In the end, I don't think these differences mean much to the army HQ, but the COL in Northeast and West Coast is uniformly higher than anywhere in the rest of the country (minus Chicago, which is still relatively affordable considering its size).

People gotta do their research before claiming which cities are rivals lol.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:38 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,906,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
What if they need additional troops or anything military related?
Ok. I guess I didn’t realize that this hq would have such a constant influx of personnel.

Is there a major military base close to the pentagon? If that is an important consideration, then the army’s current hq must have a big base nearby, yes?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM

61,374 posts, read 49,950,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Ok. I guess I didn’t realize that this hq would have such a constant influx of personnel.

Is there a major military base close to the pentagon? If that is an important consideration, then the army’s current hq must have a big base nearby, yes?
The whole Atlantic seaboard in that region is chock full of every branch of the military. For starters, the Pentagon is only 2.5 hours from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia which is a huge conglomerate of military bases.

Dover AFB in Delaware is less than two hours away.

Maryland is chock full of military installations and is very close.

The many military installations in New Jersey and New York are not that far away. Neither are many of the military installations in Pennsylvania.

And then here is a list of the military installations in the DC area:
https://militarybases.com/washington-dc/

Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 AM

10,002 posts, read 6,197,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Hey, Austin is cheaper than Raleigh. Kind of surprised at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.