Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Yorba Linda, CA

Within an hour drive to the beach.

One of the last bastions of hardcore conservationism in urban California. It's one of the most conservative cities in the recently turned blue Orange County.
Home of the Nixon Library, no less!

https://www.nixonlibrary.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 01:20 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
....ridiculous...

Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
....ridiculous...
My, what a stimulating and erudite conversationalist. What is ridiculous is to deny the obvious conservative bent to the city under discussion.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Virginia Beach VA..

Couple years back an MIT report ('Representation in Municipal Government') ranked VA Beach the 3rd most Conservative city in America. Two cities ahead of Va Beach, were not beach towns..
Virginia Beach is conservative with a liberal bent. There is a chasm from older natives and transplants (40+) to younger natives and transplants. I agree that it's a conservative city but nowhere near #3 in the whole country...lol I can think of three places In VA more conservative off the top of my head...

But how are we defining these terms anyway? They (conservative/liberal) have been used to the point they are essentially meaningless; people throw them around aimlessly...

Old 07-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Virginia Beach is conservative with a liberal bent. There is a chasm from older natives and transplants (40+) to younger natives and transplants. I agree that it's a conservative city but nowhere near #3 in the whole country...lol I can think of three places In VA more conservative off the top of my head...

But how are we defining these terms anyway? They (conservative/liberal) have been used to the point they are essentially meaningless; people throw them around aimlessly...
While you are correct in asserting that no city is politically monolithic, I think it's also safe to say that the strong military and fundamentalist presence in Virginia Beach makes it a pretty good candidate for what the OP is seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffer670 View Post
Looking for a beach town or a town within an hours drive to a beach, that leans mostly conservative?

Old 07-14-2018, 04:11 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
South Carolina. Been here a few months, people are nice, but they are indeed conservative.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:26 PM

998 posts, read 1,248,561 times
Quote:
My, what a stimulating and erudite conversationalist. What is ridiculous is to deny the obvious conservative bent to the city under discussion.
Your vocabulary sizzles....

What is ridiculous is casting Virginia Beach into the stew of conservative American cities. I relocated to the VA Beach Metro 11 years ago from Coastal California and the conservative branding of this area is the perpetuation of the "if it's military it must be dumb with low educational attainment and a love for televangelists" BS. Richmond has the same problem with the Capital of the Confederacy BS

I don't have a conservative (lots of different adaptations of that word) bone in my body and possess a con-dar to boot. We came here because we liked the vibe, lots of things create a vibe, mostly intangible. The vibe here is not conservative by any means.

Think Tank white paper's like the posted article offer little food for thought, mostly garbage in garbage out publish.

Gracias

Old 07-15-2018, 03:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
There are a lot of engineering jobs in Hampton Roads with companies like the Newport News Shipyard and the majority of engineers in my experience are Republican. Those engineering companies def. pay well.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
There are a lot of engineering jobs in Hampton Roads with companies like the Newport News Shipyard and the majority of engineers in my experience are Republican. Those engineering companies def. pay well.
Don't bother, CV. There's no arguing with a pedant.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
Quote:
While you are correct in asserting that no city is politically monolithic, I think it's also safe to say that the strong military and fundamentalist presence in Virginia Beach makes it a pretty good candidate for what the OP is seeking.
If the OP is looking for a conservative vibe at the actual beach, Virginia Beach is definitely not a good option.
The oceanfront in the summer is as ethnically diverse as downtown Toronto. Mixed race couples are the norm.
Every country listed in Trump’s Muslim ban is represented. All of those people that need to leave to MAGA are proudly and comfortably on display. It’s a beautiful, harmonious melting pot and conservatives hate that. So no. Virginia Beach is not a good choice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.