Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW I lived in Spokane for 3 years, and I remember one day in the summer I was about to go outside, and I looked at the temp and stuff on the Weather Channel, and it said it was, like, 94 degrees out ... but the humidity was 14%, or something else ridiculously low. So I went outside, and honestly, I thought to myself, "This isn't bad for 94 degrees at all."
That’s why Denver is so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Yeah for that reason it's a lot more useful to look at dew point. Anything under 50 is probably great.
In that case, Spokane would be great since all those dew points are under 50%.

One thing about Spokane is, during the spring you do get some warmer and semi-muggy periods where thunderstorms will pop up. But, that'll be, like, highs in the 70's or 80's, and of course it's not like that all the time. That goes from about April-June. By the time July comes around it starts getting really dry.

Here's May of this year:
https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...calwx_calendar
May of last year:
https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...calwx_calendar

And so on.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
While the lack of humidity might make the heat better, some place on the cooler side (let's say Tahoe, which is ~5-8 degrees cooler in the summer with the same dew point) is probably better.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Hers was a severe early onset fibromyalgia, starting when she was around... maybe 14? Any exposure to heat at all basically disables her. She was removed from school and basically bedridden for several years as a teen, and only once they found an effective chemical cocktail was she able to function. If she takes her meds and avoids exposure to weather above ~80 degrees, she's function. If she misses a dose, or the power is out for an afternoon, she can basically count on not making it to work the next day and being somewhat off for the next week.

We're not talking about muscle pain, hers is crippling if not handled carefully.
I've never heard of anything like that, so sorry. Mine was crippling too if I used any muscles (if I moved) but it had nothing to do with heat. I wasn't able to work or do much of anything.

But in this case, it certainly looks as though she needs consistently cool temps. Good luck and I hope you find your ideal location for her health.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
While the lack of humidity might make the heat better, some place on the cooler side (let's say Tahoe, which is ~5-8 degrees cooler in the summer with the same dew point) is probably better.
If you do end up in a place that might be a little on the warm side, one thing you might consider doing is, buy or rent a house with a (finished) basement. That way she could spend most of her time during the warm hours in the basement. Here in KC where highs in the mid-to-upper 90's are the norm, a basement in the summer is a godsend. I've even got a spare bedroom down there where I usually sleep during hot days. Makes a huge difference.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM

That can help tremendously, yeah. Living somewhere with cooler weather opens up a lot of job options for her though. E.g. right now she works in a counseling position for children during the day, and writes children's books at night. She had the option for taking a summer position running a camp for troubled kids, and the recent heat forced her to take some time off. If temperatures are consistently lower and less humid, she has more opportunities.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I'll add in Anchorage--the city is more populous than asked for, but that city takes in a lot of physical land area that's mostly pretty sparsely populated.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 PM

I've been reluctant about the idea of Anchorage, but I'll look into it. The extreme darkness in winter worries me.

Looking around on maps, I'm realizing I might find something in Utah. There seem to be a lot of high altitude towns just east of Salt Lake City, which have very pleasant summers. I could easily commute down for work. Might be hard to garden there, but there's no lack of sunshine.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:41 AM

^Beware, however, that those are going to be mostly ski towns which are going to be fairly expensive.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 AM

72 posts, read 60,346 times
Santa Fe, NM? Cooler temps than Denver. The city sits at 7200 feet elevation. It is high desert and low humidity. It is a city on my retirement relocation consideration list. It is not inexpensive but maybe worth taking a look? Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.