Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Miami Beach was probably the most touristy place I lived. It was not uncommon for the island to swell by several times her population during high impact weekends.

At first I loved the punch it packed - the energy, the amount of shops/restaurants/bars/clubs all packed into a small area. Eating sushi at 4am, etc were charms.

But then the crowds began to get to me. Getting onto and off the island during high impact weekends was a miserable experience. Traffic did not follow usual congestion patterns - weekends could be packed, late nights and the bridges could be packed, you just never knew. The tourists themselves were for a lack of a better word - low class. Trash and litter thrown everywhere, screaming and ghetto behavior all times of the day and night. Occasionally there would be shootings due to the tourists.

Hate would be a strong word. Now I crave quieter places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Probably Sedona. I liked the visit, but couldn't imagine living there.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:11 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
San Francisco was my immediate thought. NYC would be another one.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
We live an hour south of Jackson, Wy. I cannot stand going up there during the summer. Tourists are everywhere and they just walk out in the street to take pictures of everything, who cares if they hold up traffic, or could cause an accident, it's all about them getting that perfect picture.

They also raise the prices up there when it's tourist season, everything is packed, and usually the service goes downhill. It's a nightmare to drive there, even the side streets are getting busy these days.

It's a fun town to visit, and when family comes we take them up there to shop, dine etc, but I would not want to live there, even if we could afford it! 😉

Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Las Vegas.
Vegas is great for 2 days, then its time to go, no explanation needed.
Agreed.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
I stayed in Vegas for 6 days. Very bad idea. Had to eventually drive to LA to escape before coming back to NYC!

Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
I second Miami. When we first moved there our house was not yet ready to move into so we stayed at a small hotel on Miami Beach. Just like a vacation! Then we moved to our house in the burbs. Don't get me started on the shortcomings of my new environment, and not just because it was the burbs. Miami has tons of other issues making it a very problematic place to live compared to other metros.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 AM

35,053 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, TN have a lot of attractions for a long weekend. Traffic there during the prime summer months is mind-boggling and I'd never want to live there.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:36 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I second Miami. When we first moved there our house was not yet ready to move into so we stayed at a small hotel on Miami Beach. Just like a vacation! Then we moved to our house in the burbs. Don't get me started on the shortcomings of my new environment, and not just because it was the burbs. Miami has tons of other issues making it a very problematic place to live compared to other metros.
Compared to Miami Beach, I would expect Miami to be a lot more normal (though more spanish speaking - something I don't mind but a lot do). I remember marveling at the different crowds going from Segafredos on Lincoln road to the one in Brickell.

On Lincoln road you'd get roided out guys in yellow spandex clutching Pomeranians like purses next to botox anorexic models on 6" heels. In Brickell, you'd just get normal people.

I feel if I lived in Miami instead of Miami Beach - I might have enjoyed it more. Miami Beach is just way too extreme in the people it attracts. It's like living in some reality tv show.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I stayed in Vegas for 6 days. Very bad idea. Had to eventually drive to LA to escape before coming back to NYC!
I hear you there. I use to go every month or two, for 2-3 days. I decided to stay for an extra three days once, big mistake. I was bored out of my mind, even winning modestly at blackjack got old because of the grind put in at the tables.

I think examples like this should fall under a new thread of where not to vacation too long. I have many friends, and have met many more, that lived/live there and have a regular life just like anywhere else. The strip and downtown were places they only went to on occasion, in that case I see it as bonus to living there. Having access to all those dining and entertianment options is like nowhere else. Now dealing with the heat in the summertime is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.