Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 AM

201 posts, read 220,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I disagree Charleston is arguably one of my favorite southern cities and a city that I could see myself living in!
Charleston is my favorite southern city, would definitely rather pay a large sum to live there than have a cheap place in Charlotte or Atlanta!

The answer to the original question is Newark, NJ. OK, so New York City is close and easily accessible, but that is a separate city. Does that really justify breaking the bank for such a poor quality of life? Newark itself is plagued by poor education, a poor job market, super high crime, some of the dirtiest air and water in the nation, etc. Other cities with similar poverty and crime rates have their bad areas and good areas, and to my knowledge, Newark has very few if any good areas. Also fewer amenities for a city its size from what I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed, and DC was was essentially a burning hole until about 10-20 years ago. So the sudden obsession and beyond inflated rental/ housing market is beyond me.

DC has certainly improved and is a very nice city, but the COL is not justified.
I agree.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed, and DC was was essentially a burning hole until about 10-20 years ago. So the sudden obsession and beyond inflated rental/ housing market is beyond me.

DC has certainly improved and is a very nice city, but the COL is not justified.
True. I love DC but I don’t get it. And the CoL literally just keeps going up more and more, I always assumed at some point it would sort of hit a ceiling. I guess it’s demand or the fact that there’s more wealth in the city/area? I don’t really get it.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
True. I love DC but I don’t get it. And the CoL literally just keeps going up more and more, I always assumed at some point it would sort of hit a ceiling. I guess it’s demand or the fact that there’s more wealth in the city/area? I don’t really get it.
DC, like Boston, is overpriced, but neither city is mediocre. For that matter, neither is Charleston. They’re all fairly unique.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Boston, DC, Seattle, a lot of Greater Los Angeles come to mind.

As most know, I think Boston is a great city. Maybe my favorite place I've ever lived. But, for cities like Boston and Seattle and DC to be creeping towards NYC prices, that's when I think they've become overvalued. DC has some of the prettiest neighborhoods in the country, but I've never found it overly appealing. A bit dry. A bit..Boring? Seattle the same way.

Boston has an MSA of ~4.8M and growing, yet the city itself is only 48 sq/miles of land. So, I absolutely get why it is priced the way that it is. One of the most compeitive housing markets in the US, and now the 3rd hottest of any city in the country according to Realtor.Com 2018 analytics. But if I'm going to spend $2,200 p/sqft (https://boston.curbed.com/2018/6/12/...g-price-boston), I'm spending that somewhere in the Bay Area. Maybe even in Cambridge. Not in Boston.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Desirable Austin approaches desirable Seattle/Boston/DC/LA/Miami in price. Austin is expensive for what it offers.
Agree here. But desirable Austin suburbs are probably 100% cheaper than desirable Boston/DC/Seattle suburbs. Regardless, if we're talking city limits, Austin has certainly increased in value (though you can still buy a SFH, in a good school district, within city limits, for <$1M. You'll never do that in Boston/Seattle in 2018).

Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM

12,838 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Agree here. But desirable Austin suburbs are probably 100% cheaper than desirable Boston/DC/Seattle suburbs. Regardless, if we're talking city limits, Austin has certainly increased in value (though you can still buy a SFH, in a good school district, within city limits, for <$1M. You'll never do that in Boston/Seattle in 2018).
Austin burbs are horrible. Boring, not scenic, unless you're talking about Lake Travis.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
San Francisco offers the least for me and Boston as well. If I am going to pay a ton to live in a big city only one US city is worth and that is NYC but that is my opinion I am sure most people do not agree and I do not care.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I mean what aren't you getting in Boston? What aren't you getting in Seattle?
See below quoted statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Boston, DC, Seattle, a lot of Greater Los Angeles come to mind.

As most know, I think Boston is a great city. Maybe my favorite place I've ever lived. But, for cities like Boston and Seattle and DC to be creeping towards NYC prices, that's when I think they've become overvalued. DC has some of the prettiest neighborhoods in the country, but I've never found it overly appealing. A bit dry. A bit..Boring? Seattle the same way.

Boston has an MSA of ~4.8M and growing, yet the city itself is only 48 sq/miles of land. So, I absolutely get why it is priced the way that it is. One of the most compeitive housing markets in the US, and now the 3rd hottest of any city in the country according to Realtor.Com 2018 analytics. But if I'm going to spend $2,200 p/sqft (https://boston.curbed.com/2018/6/12/...g-price-boston), I'm spending that somewhere in the Bay Area. Maybe even in Cambridge. Not in Boston.
Agreed. Boston is a lovely city, DC and Seattle are nice, but kinda meh, as you said.

I can understand higher prices relative to desirability and land availability, but New York City is really the only US city that justifies the absurd pricing, because you literally have the world at your fingertips.

I do not think Seattle, Boston, or DC are mediocre, but the beyond inflated COL when you can live in Philadelphia or Chicago (which offer more as cities) for 1/3 of the price, then yes, I think DC, Boston, and especially Seattle are lacking.

That being said, I would still be fine living in any of those cities, but I don't think DC or Seattle offer back enough for what the COL has become. Boston has a better argument.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
San Francisco offers the least for me and Boston as well. If I am going to pay a ton to live in a big city only one US city is worth and that is NYC but that is my opinion I am sure most people do not agree and I do not care.
I agree. New York can make an argument for itself, most other US cities cannot.

That being said, New York (mostly Manhattan) is still absurdly expensive and can be quite a turnoff to many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.