Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There's also a palpable narrative on CD from Virginians that Virginia is not the South. I think that all of this silliness stems from the presumption (also here on CD) that "Southern" automatically means a whole host of negatives.
THIS...and It's absolutely ridiculous. The labeling of all people from a specific region is ridiculous and the people that do it are truly ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
About three years as an adult. I was raised in DC but my family has always been here.
I ask because, you’re clearly abreast of current Richmond of events, but I sense a slight lack of perspective on the city. I think Richmond is unquestionably the south, and many Richmond or’s are still deeply invested in the cities southern history. They’re just not the ones who live in Carver/The Fan/Museum District/ Scott’s Addition/ Shockoe Bottom.

My family has been in Richmond basically since we came off of the plantations. I spent the first six years of my life there, two years of high school, and two years of adulthood. I visit quite frequently. I may not be able to give the most current restaurant and bar recommendations, but I think I have a decent, fundamental understanding of what the city is.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The only Virginian that has publicly dissociated VA from the South is NOVAguy, who believes NoVa is not in the South but the rest of VA is. Unless you know someone else, who is the other Virginian with the narrative that VA Is not in the South?
Lol, there you go mentioning me again. Why are you so obsessed with MY opinion? Do you lack basic reading comprehension skills - read through this post, it's not just me.

I went to college in Richmond, I'm allowed to have my opinion on it. And that was just my experience, get over it dude.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:29 AM

369 posts, read 325,547 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=map,...3M4XTqTG0Jb_M:

Here's your answer.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:38 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I ask because, you’re clearly abreast of current Richmond of events, but I sense a slight lack of perspective on the city. I think Richmond is unquestionably the south, and many Richmond or’s are still deeply invested in the cities southern history. They’re just not the ones who live in Carver/The Fan/Museum District/ Scott’s Addition/ Shockoe Bottom.

My family has been in Richmond basically since we came off of the plantations. I spent the first six years of my life there, two years of high school, and two years of adulthood. I visit quite frequently. I may not be able to give the most current restaurant and bar recommendations, but I think I have a decent, fundamental understanding of what the city is.
I can agree with this. I have found that there is definitely some old southern money just outside or just inside of Richmond. I've also met people who can trace their family members back to the Confederacy, so I know that it exists. It's just in my experience, those subsets of people are so small and you can honestly find the same type of situation in families in Baltimore, so its hard for me to view that as a Richmond thing. Also, as you've mentioned, I spend most of my time inside the city so I can't offer much of a perspective on the surrounding counties. We all are just speaking our experiences. I've made it a point to speak to black Richmonders, including my family, about the Confederate monuments in the city and the overwhelming consensus has been "I don't care either way, they don't bother me." That's the point I was trying to make. People often point to the monuments to say, "See, Richmond is definitely this or that. If they weren't they would tear all that stuff down." That stance completely ignores the fact that some people in the city just don't care.

Last edited by mpier015; 07-24-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
If the cities are floating in a soup of southern culture they tend to be more southern than northern but maybe less than the surrounding soup due to more progressive tendencies and/or transplants from the north or various chain or big-box businesses. The soup changes a little bit from state to state so there might be differences perceived from one region to another. Okay -- Maybe it's a gumbo in Louisiana or turnip green soup or crab soup closer to the Chesapeake Bay -- but the soup is southern, nonetheless.

There are people (and places) that work so hard at being "southern" that they become a ridiculous caricature of southern-ness (not only in the south). We had a young woman hired into our organization (in a border state) who came from Georgia and announced that she preferred to be called "Peaches" because she was from Georgia and she had an exaggerated accent that was beyond the norm for even Georgia. I know a few places where this caricature seems to be the norm and the town seems to have an investment in being southern, perhaps for tourism. But when laid on too thick it is laughable.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The only Virginian that has publicly dissociated VA from the South is NOVAguy, who believes NoVa is not in the South but the rest of VA is. Unless you know someone else, who is the other Virginian with the narrative that VA Is not in the South?
NOVA doesn't feel southern to me.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I've made it a point to speak to black Richmonders, including my family, about the Confederate monuments in the city and the overwhelming consensus has been "I don't care either way, they don't bother me." That's the point I was trying to make. People often point to the monuments to say, "See, Richmond is definitely this or that. If they weren't they would tear all that stuff down." That stance completely ignores the fact that some people in the city just don't care.
Actually I've found that sentiment to not be uncommon among some Black people in various places throughout the South, not just Richmond. I won't get into my thoughts about that perspective but it's definitely not just a Richmond thing.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
NOVA doesn't feel southern to me.
It doesn't really feel Northern either.

It's like a weird mix of New South/New Urbanist/Americana suburbia with remnants of an undeniably Southern past sprinkled throughout.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I've never understood why this is a big topic on CD. It 's a mystery why anyone cares. What difference does it make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.