Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, not true.

You need to go to:

Nashville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Birmingham
Richmond
Several Mid-sized Southern Cities
...and of course, Atlanta
Atlanta has a massive foreign born African population.

Ive been to the others but I dont know as much about this topic admittedly. It was just a hypothesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, you named them.

Pockets of northern Milton. Parts of Randolph (though, this is a stretch), and maybe parts of Stoughton.
Pretty much...Man, I wish I could find the thread, but these are some examples of block groups within the city that have median household incomes at least above the state figure and are predominantly black: Census Block Group 140300-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 101001-3 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 140102-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 140202-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

There are some that are a little under the state figure like this one nearby: Census Block Group 140300-5 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
but they are more lower middle class.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Ive been to the others but I dont know as much about this topic admittedly. It was just a hypothesis.

Well, Atlanta, et al. each have a large black professional class--it has nothing to do with the foreign born African population.

It is good to make hypotheses--but this one is false.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

As of the 2010 Census figures, metro Atlanta has the third-largest African-born population (after NYC and DC, tied with the Twin Cities) but it's a huge stretch to call it massive, being under 100K. No doubt it's grown since 2010 but it probably still hasn't hit the 100K mark. Keep in mind that metro Atlanta's total Black population as of 2010 was nearly 2 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...s#Demographics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:

If there's one way that I'd epitomize Birmingham's Black Professionals, is to look to it's own Mayor in Randall Woodfin, self explanatory.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Boston

Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Here on City-Data, the topic of, "What Cities Are the BEST for Black Professionals" gets beat like a dead horse, and the answer is pretty much always going to be Atlanta and DC with a possible argument for NYC. So let's discuss the reverse:

What cities have sizeable Black populations but very small/hardly visable/practically non-existent Black Professional communities?

A doctor friend of mine from DC who did her residency in St. Louis always talked about how she didn't DISLIKE St. Louis as a city, but couldn't wait to get out of there because there were hardly any Black professionals there so she felt like she didn't fit in, which I found perplexing for a city like St. Louis that pretty much has a 50% (!) Black population. But I recently came back from St. Louis and as I observed and mingled with the local Black folks, I understood exactly what she was talking about.

That's NOT a knock on St. Louis, or on St. Louis Blacks. I grew up 4 hours down the Mississippi in Memphis, which has an even larger Black population than St. Louis (probably about 70% these days) but has a very similar problem where if you live there and you are Black, professional, and educated, you will most likely find it lacking in many important ways, such as the dating scene, the entertainment scene, the job market, etc. So, before all the STL posters take this thread the wrong way and turn it into a, "Well, what part of St. Louis did you go to?!?" type of thing, I am simply using my friend's experience as an example and saying I have been in her shoes before.

So what do you all think? What cities or regions with large or highly visible Black populations have you found surprisingly lacking and disappointing for Black professionals? Discuss!
There’s no argument for NYC. Lots of black professionals in both Brooklyn and Uptown Manhattan.

Philadelphia also has a good amount of black professionals as well.

In my experience the city that lacked black professionals to me was Miami. I was going to add Charleston since many of the professionals in the city looked very white but I only spent a day there so I’ll stick with Miami!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:

I wouldn’t call it Massive. Atlanta feels very African American. There are lots of Africans but not on the same scale compared to NYC and DC.

Most cities from Boston down to Atlanta have some sort of large African presence. Boston, CT, NYC, NJ, Philly, BMore, DC, ATL!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times
Cincinnati for sure!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
There’s no argument for NYC. Lots of black professionals in both Brooklyn and Uptown Manhattan.

Philadelphia also has a good amount of black professionals as well.

In my experience the city that lacked black professionals to me was Miami. I was going to add Charleston since many of the professionals in the city looked very white but I only spent a day there so I’ll stick with Miami!
Yeah, you're definitely right about Miami.

You have a point with Charleston; Columbia is where the largest concentration of Black professionals can be found in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.