Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:44 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times

Advertisements

North Africans identifying as Arab is similar to how Latin Americans identifying as Spanish. Do to the racial mixing over the centuries, people will tend to identify more strongly with the dominate culture if strong racial categories aren't established in the culture. Spanish Culture has dominated Latin America since the 1500's and Arab culture has dominated North Africa since the 7th century. Some North Africans have more Arab ancestry in their DNA while some North Africans have more indigenous ancestry but I think the majority of the population in North Africa are a mixture of Arab and African heritage. Since Arab culture dominates the region, North Africans are much more likely to identify as Arab or Middle eastern instead of African like their neighbors to the south.

When North Africans immigrate to the US and write down their identification on the Census, they will usually look for the country of origin first. The US lumps North Africans with the White race even though almost all of them do not personally identify as being White in their daily lives. I think African American would be the more correct position of identification for Egyptians and Moroccans who live in America. It would make things a lot less confusing. The US doesn't have a problem putting Indians and Pakistanis in the Asian category so they shouldn't have a problem labeling Egyptians and Alegerians as African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:45 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
According to Wikipedia, there are around 250 thousand Egyptian Americans and around 120 thousand Moroccan Americans in the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Americans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_Americans

My doubt is: are they considered to be African Americans?

They do not and most of them hang around Arabic communities.

For example in NYC many of them live together in Bay Ridge. Moroccan, Egyptians, Tunisians, Palestinians and Lebanese!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:54 PM

657 posts, read 801,922 times
Off topic, but if people like Cory Booker or Colin Powell can be called "black", not sure why for consistency sake, Indians and Arabs aren't white.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:58 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Sure why not? Picture having an off the record conversation with a Larry the cable guy type. It fits.
I would say, you're an idiot. If I've offended you, I think it's fitting, as you just offended, and stereotyped, two entire regions of people....many millions.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 PM

93,203 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Off topic, but if people like Cory Booker or Colin Powell can be called "black", not sure why for consistency sake, Indians and Arabs aren't white.
No...

Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 PM

61,652 posts, read 87,023,434 times
What is the topic of this thread? It seems to go in many directions...

Old 07-25-2018, 08:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
If the United States ever announced that they will be giving thousands of dollars to all Americans of African descent, I willing to bet that there will be many North Africans that will be fighting tooth and nail to be included as being African American.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If the United States ever announced that they will be giving thousands of dollars to all Americans of African descent, I willing to bet that there will be many North Africans that will be fighting tooth and nail to be included as being African American.

Generally people (of all races) would fight for much less..... lol

Anyway, what are we discussing here? I am lost.
It was pretty simple to establish that Arabs, Egyptians or Moroccans are not African Americans.
And NO, they don't look like the Poles or have Polish accent

According to US Census Bureau:
Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".

"African Americans (also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans) are an ethnic group of Americans with total or partial ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa.
Most African Americans are descendants of enslaved peoples within the boundaries of the present United States.
On average, African Americans are of West/Central African and European descent, and some also have Native American ancestry.
According to US Census Bureau data, African immigrants generally do not self-identify as African American.
The overwhelming majority of African immigrants identify instead with their own respective ethnicities: Sub-Saharan Africa entries such as Kenyan and Nigerian; and Afro-Caribbean entries, such as Haitian and Jamaican."

Old 07-26-2018, 03:29 AM

657 posts, read 801,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No...
I guess. But it only seems silly because of the one drop rule. Cory Booker, to use him again, has near pale skin. Even if he still retains some West African features, his skin tone should disqualify him from being a black male. The same as how an Arab isn't white because they're a little too dark, even if their facial features are near identical to Europeans. Just strikes me as weird, is race purely about skin colour or not?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I guess. But it only seems silly because of the one drop rule. Cory Booker, to use him again, has near pale skin. Even if he still retains some West African features, his skin tone should disqualify him from being a black male. The same as how an Arab isn't white because they're a little too dark, even if their facial features are near identical to Europeans. Just strikes me as weird, is race purely about skin colour or not?

Race and ethnicity in the US is defined by the federal Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the US Census Bureau, are self-identification data items in which residents choose the race or races with which they most closely identify. It's an American thing because many federal programs are put into effect based on the race data obtained from the decennial census, also to promote equal employment opportunities, housing, public health etc.
In America everything seems to be about race.

Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color. Ethnicity, however, refers to cultural factors, including nationality, regional culture, ancestry, and language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.