Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Kansas is 100% Midwestern.
Missouri is Midwestern, with the exception of the extreme Southeastern portion of the State.
West Virginia, IMO, is the only regionless State, as has been mentioned.

The study is not publicly available, but here is the intro.

https://www.questia.com/library/jour...s-of-the-south

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
I grew up in SE Missouri, and I feel more at home in West Tennessee than I do in much of Missouri. I consider MO to be Midwestern as a whole, but the bootheel is the south in every way except geography. The rest of SE Missouri is mixed.

I think what the OP is picking up on is that Kansas and Missouri are the only two Midwestern states that don't have an upper Midwest component to them. To me, that is what sets them apart.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I grew up in SE Missouri, and I feel more at home in West Tennessee than I do in much of Missouri. I consider MO to be Midwestern as a whole, but the bootheel is the south in every way except geography. The rest of SE Missouri is mixed.

I think what the OP is picking up on is that Kansas and Missouri are the only two Midwestern states that don't have an upper Midwest component to them. To me, that is what sets them apart.
Kansas and Missouri lack the northern components, but have more influences from the South overall.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

I can see that. When you look at the Midwest in closer detail, there really are some cultural sub regions within.

For example, you have the north woods thing going on in parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the UP of Michigan that separate it economically and culturally from the rest of the region. You have a Plains Upper Midwest of the Dakotas, Minnesota south and west of I-94, Iowa, and Nebraska that have some distinct Northern influences, but are really different from the north woods, and anything east of the Mississippi. Kansas and Missouri have a lot in common with those places, but lack of some of the more northern components. I'd imagine there's much less Scandinavian influence there (which is what I feel is the root of the difference between the northern and southern Plains).

Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 AM

153 posts, read 130,272 times
I don't understand why people think we have to put hard geographic borders to define cultural regions. You can't just cross a border and all of a sudden everything is completely different culturally. As you drive from the midwest to the south, there is a slow fade from the things we identify with a midwest culture to the things we identify with a southern culture. As you move north to south it can go from 90% midwestern/10% southern to 10% midwestern/90%southern, for example. This change doesn't just happen suddenly once you cross a border. I would consider Missouri and Kansas to simply be where the two cultures blend from one to the other.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
I don't understand why people think we have to put hard geographic borders to define cultural regions. You can't just cross a border and all of a sudden everything is completely different culturally. As you drive from the midwest to the south, there is a slow fade from the things we identify with a midwest culture to the things we identify with a southern culture. As you move north to south it can go from 90% midwestern/10% southern to 10% midwestern/90%southern, for example. This change doesn't just happen suddenly once you cross a border. I would consider Missouri and Kansas to simply be where the two cultures blend from one to the other.
Some people clearly aren't mentally flexible enough to grasp that.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Kansas is definitely Midwest.
Agree with this

Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Kansas is 100% Midwest and Plains.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:57 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_transplant View Post
kansas is 100% midwestern.
Missouri is midwestern, with the exception of the extreme southeastern portion of the state.
West virginia, imo, is the only regionless state, as has been mentioned.
+1

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Both Missouri and Kansas are clearly Midwestern to me. Yes, Missouri has Southern influences in the bootheel but that's a small portion of the state. Most of Missouri, including Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, and Jefferson City are Midwestern to me. Nobody I know from Missouri considers themselves a Southerner or expresses Southern pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.