Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:50 PM

22 posts, read 11,463 times

Advertisements

This is something I've always been interested in, especially growing up in the area. but you always hear these "Midwestern or southern" debates over states like MO, OK, sometimes KS and others.

I'm not trying to argue that KS is "southern" or that MO is definitely "southern". What I'm saying is, at what point do we conclude culturally and geographically, those two states are nothing like the rest of the "Midwest".

Kansas/MO south of I-70 is considerably different from Nebraska or Iowa (both generally thought to be 100% "Midwestern".
I lived in Omaha for a few years after college. People laughed at the way I talked and made fun of Kansas and MO for being "backwards". They didn't use fixin, howdy, boutta, and other "slang" we used all the time in South Kansas. They don't appreciate good BBQ the way we did growing up. They didn't fry hardly anything. I felt very out of place.

Most of South KS and MO were settled by "Southerners". (my family moved from AR to South KS)

Kansas and MO politics are about as "Southern" as you can get for not being in the "south".

Kansas had it's own Civil War before y'all decided to join in, and the city to city differences can still be noticed to this day.

KS and MO had segregation in schools unlike "Midwestern" states.

Jim Crow was also very prevalent in KS and MO as were post-bellum problems like lynchings.

I mean the center of KS is like 20 hours from Ohio and Michigan. Its like 9 hours from NE Kansas to Minneapolis. SE Kansas is like 5 hours to Louisiana or Mississippi. SW KS is 30 minutes to an hour from TX panhandle. depending on what part youre in.

Wichita is infinitely more aligned with Tulsa, OKC and Dallas than it is any city in the "Midwest".

Having left the area, and lived in a solidly "Midwestern' area, I felt so foreign coming home. People told me I sounded like I was from Minnesota and had lost my "way of life" when I didn't instinctively say howdy back to someone.

What part of the US do you consider KS and MO?

Last edited by howdypardna; 07-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: hadn't finished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:55 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Kansas is definitely Midwest.

Missouri is definitely Midwest, except south of US-60 which is Southern.

Questionable and Potentially Regionless? Oklahoma and West Virginia.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Both states are Midwest...why is this even a question. It doesn't matter what they seem, they are what they are.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Kansas is definitely Midwest.

Missouri is definitely Midwest, except south of US-60 which is Southern.

Questionable and Potentially Regionless? Oklahoma and West Virginia.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue for one region one way or another. Just as someone who grew up in KS, I never felt all that Midwestern when I moved somewhere universally accepted as the Midwest. I've met other native Kansans or Missourans who feel the same way.

I'm curious, what qualities make Kansas/MO "definitely" Midwest.?

Old 07-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Both states are Midwest...why is this even a question. It doesn't matter what they seem, they are what they are.
It was brought up recently back home at a reunion. People who had moved off to different regions commenting on how Kansas was viewed in their respective new states.

We started talking about how much different it was basically anywhere else, and we basically arrived at the idea that, KS and MO ain't Midwestern, they ain't southern, they're just KS and MO. Hence the question "regionless?"

Old 07-24-2018, 03:04 PM

If you look on the US Census Map (the map that outlines the different regions, and the OFFICIAL map of the regions), they are Midwest. It's not that hard, people.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
If you look on the US Census Map (the map that outlines the different regions, and the OFFICIAL map of the regions), they are Midwest. It's not that hard, people.
I mean if you're not bright enough to see we're debating culture, and not census boundaries, I can't help you.

Would a better question be.. "are ks and Mo the least Midwestern, Midwestern states?" because that thread had no snarky answers like this. Bet you a real peach at parties huh

Last edited by howdypardna; 07-24-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
your right. Deleware has more in common with Louisiana than it does New Jersey or Rhode Island. Silly me!

Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdypardna View Post
I mean if you're not bright enough to see we're debating culture, and not census boundaries, I can't help you.

Actually, I am pretty bright, and you're debating something that will never be determined, as there are too many different opinions. Debate away, but they are in the Midwest. Whatever you determine their cultures are more similar to, they are still in the Midwest. I'm not obtuse, but good grief, who really cares what someone thinks they are? They are what they are, and opinions of their culture, aren't going to change that fact.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, I am pretty bright, and you're debating something that will never be determined, as there are too many different opinions. Debate away, but they are in the Midwest. Whatever you determine their cultures are more similar to, they are still in the Midwest. I'm not obtuse, but good grief, who really cares what someone thinks they are? They are what they are, and opinions of their culture, aren't going to change that fact.
That's a fair response, but you still are attacking me like I literally said "The US census bureau is wrong!". I just asked what everyone else viewed the two states as out of curiosity. I've met Californians and people form Wisconsin who thought KS was in the "deep south" lol. I've met Texans who don't consider MO and KS Midwestern.

If you aren't from the two states, you probably could care less and wouldn't understand. I was just pointing out the reasoning I hear from other "Midwesterners" when they explain why KS and MO aren't Midwestern to them. I never once said they aren't Midwestern, just explaining how a large segment of those states feel when interacting with "outsiders".

Feel free to not post in the thread if it bothers you so much, jeez louize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.