Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hardest state to regionally classify?
Missouri 33 15.00%
West Virginia 67 30.45%
Virginia 15 6.82%
Maryland 23 10.45%
Pennsylvania 9 4.09%
Oklahoma 52 23.64%
New York 5 2.27%
Kentucky 14 6.36%
Deleware 11 5.00%
Texas 70 31.82%
Ohio 10 4.55%
Other (specify) 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times

Advertisements

Missouri is clearly Midwest, but it feels like a southern state in most parts of it. Same thing with southern Illinois, and southern IN; it feels more like the south than Midwest, but are all still considered Midwest.

Texas, OK, Kentucky, WV, and even (not mentioned) Colorado are good ones (eastern CO is more great plains Midwest, but Denver and westward is clearly the rocky mountain west).

I fail to see why New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Ohio are even on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
It would be interesting to find out how many of the respondents who named West Virginia have actually been there, particularly if those who only drove through the "panhandles" on I70 and I-81 were excluded.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It would be interesting to find out how many of the respondents who named West Virginia have actually been there, particularly if those who only drove through the "panhandles" on I70 and I-81 were excluded.
I am pretty familiar with WV.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I actually do see a distinct Great Lakes region within the other geographic regions.

New York is a funny case and it is my home state. It is part Appalachia, part Great Lakes, of course there is NYC, the North Country and Capital District. They are all pretty different from each other; it's kind of of like having several states in one. Buffalo, Rochester, Oswego and to a lesser extent Syracuse are the Great Lakes area of NY state.

PA has a Great Lakes area in Erie and Ohio's Great Lakes area is in Cleveland. I've traveled around and lived in a lot of different areas and I will say that Erie & Cleveland have a lot more in common than do Erie and Philadelphia.

Is it 'Northeast'? Yes, I suppose NY state does geographically fall into that region; it isn't Midwest and it isn't New England. I've heard it called Northeast and I've heard it referred to as a 'Mid-Atlantic' state so I suppose whatever region classification you like.

It is interesting how the regions overlap though. I'm in the Great Lakes/snow belt/rust belt area
You clearly get it! (The post I was responding to was asking whether NY was Great Lakes OR Northeast.)

Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I actually do see a distinct Great Lakes region within the other geographic regions.

New York is a funny case and it is my home state. It is part Appalachia, part Great Lakes, of course there is NYC, the North Country and Capital District. They are all pretty different from each other; it's kind of of like having several states in one. Buffalo, Rochester, Oswego and to a lesser extent Syracuse are the Great Lakes area of NY state.

PA has a Great Lakes area in Erie and Ohio's Great Lakes area is in Cleveland. I've traveled around and lived in a lot of different areas and I will say that Erie & Cleveland have a lot more in common than do Erie and Philadelphia.

Is it 'Northeast'? Yes, I suppose NY state does geographically fall into that region; it isn't Midwest and it isn't New England. I've heard it called Northeast and I've heard it referred to as a 'Mid-Atlantic' state so I suppose whatever region classification you like.

It is interesting how the regions overlap though. I'm in the Great Lakes/snow belt/rust belt area
Seems as though some users here are super content to put NY into a stereotypical box, as is typical for people who are not truly familiar with the state. Good to have your post.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:44 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Just throwing it out there... the Ontario region of NY is hardly "small". It extends around 200 miles east into NY state. Not to mention the side that goes north to south.
Point well-taken!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:03 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I have. I've spent a good amount of time in Huntington and driven through many other areas. It's not Southern yet there are Confederate flags throughout and some have Southern accents. It's not Midwest, but many people have connections to Midwest states (mostly Ohio) and align themselves with Ohio over anything else. It's not Northeast, but parts of the state align themselves with PA and even part is in the DC CSA.

No one region/population is large enough to influence the state one way or another. Huntington is more Southern than anything else, even though it's not entirely Southern. The eastern tip literally gets train service from an obviously Northeastern state (MD). The northern tip lies right between a Midwest and a Northeast state, with many northern counties being included in the Pittsburgh CSA. I've been south of 64, but I'd assume it's quite Southern. Charleston seems to blend them all.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:34 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Bringing back me old thread. Seen a few episodes of Ozark. It sure makes Missouri look very southern. I know not all parts of the state are like that though.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:22 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Missouri is a good one because St. Louis is Midwest, while much of the state where they pronounce it “Missoura” is definitely the south. Gotta go with Texas though on this one. It’s the Desert Southwest, Great Plains, and the South.

*Side note. While not included on this list, California would actually take this. It’s the Desert Southwest (SE), Pacific Northwest (NW), the Mountain West (NE), and West Coast.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:01 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Bringing back me old thread. Seen a few episodes of Ozark. It sure makes Missouri look very southern. I know not all parts of the state are like that though.
I was watching Jeopardy the other day. The college edition. One girl sounded Southern wearing a University of Mississippi sweatshirt. Alex said she's from Missouri and attends Univ of Mississippi. Idk if Alex was just reading incorrectly and she's actually from MS and goes to college there. Or if she was actually from MO and had a southern accent and went to MS. But I was surprised at how Southern her accent sounded for being from MO. So Alex could've been wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.