Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hardest state to regionally classify?
Missouri 33 15.00%
West Virginia 67 30.45%
Virginia 15 6.82%
Maryland 23 10.45%
Pennsylvania 9 4.09%
Oklahoma 52 23.64%
New York 5 2.27%
Kentucky 14 6.36%
Deleware 11 5.00%
Texas 70 31.82%
Ohio 10 4.55%
Other (specify) 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:07 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Texas. Its Southern, Great Plains, Southwest, and Mexico all in one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 06:58 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Texas. Its Southern, Great Plains, Southwest, and Mexico all in one!
I second this. The border areas are almost Mexico extensions. San Antonio is the center of Tex Mex which is different. The Texas Triangle is its own region each with its own combination of cultures. East Texas is basically the South, and the Texas Triangle is the exit of the South. The Panhandle is like the the rural Southwest.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:05 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I was watching Jeopardy the other day. The college edition. One girl sounded Southern wearing a University of Mississippi sweatshirt. Alex said she's from Missouri and attends Univ of Mississippi. Idk if Alex was just reading incorrectly and she's actually from MS and goes to college there. Or if she was actually from MO and had a southern accent and went to MS. But I was surprised at how Southern her accent sounded for being from MO. So Alex could've been wrong.
Her name was London and she was from Missouri.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:14 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Her name was London and she was from Missouri.
Yeah her! Ok yeah I was really surprised at her having such a Southern accent. It wasn't STRONG, but it was obvious for sure. Maybe being in Mississippi a few years contributed to an underlying slight inclination to a Southern accent? Idk. But either way, she was from Missouri then and I definitely noticed her Southern accent.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:53 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Yeah her! Ok yeah I was really surprised at her having such a Southern accent. It wasn't STRONG, but it was obvious for sure. Maybe being in Mississippi a few years contributed to an underlying slight inclination to a Southern accent? Idk. But either way, she was from Missouri then and I definitely noticed her Southern accent.
Depends on what part of the state she is from. I haven't heard her talk but someone from the bootheel can certainly sound like they are from Mississippi. They aren't that far apart geographically after all.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:28 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Depends on what part of the state she is from. I haven't heard her talk but someone from the bootheel can certainly sound like they are from Mississippi. They aren't that far apart geographically after all.
I don't really hear all that much of a southern accent from her. Mild at most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvACEqlonZ0

Old 04-17-2020, 01:27 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I don't hear it at all

Old 04-17-2020, 01:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Yeah it's mild, but I definitely noticed it. And I actually thought of the debate around MO's accent hahaha. To other Southerners, she may not have an accent at all, but to an outsider she does have a slight accent. Again, it could even be just attending college in MS for many years. People often pick up accents of where they live regardless of where they're from. It'll never be as heavy as a native of that area, but a few pronunciations here and there. So who knows if she always had one from being from more rural/southern MO or if she picked it up in MS.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:32 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Yeah it's mild, but I definitely noticed it. And I actually thought of the debate around MO's accent hahaha. To other Southerners, she may not have an accent at all, but to an outsider she does have a slight accent. Again, it could even be just attending college in MS for many years. People often pick up accents of where they live regardless of where they're from. It'll never be as heavy as a native of that area, but a few pronunciations here and there. So who knows if she always had one from being from more rural/southern MO or if she picked it up in MS.
I'd say her accent is pretty standard for many people in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, NW Arkansas. Her accent is certainly not what is typical for an "accent" in Mississippi although I can see why someone from another part of the country might hear SOMETHING. Here in Oklahoma we have a lot of people who have what one might consider a variation of a southern accent. She wouldn't be one of them.

Also, Ole Miss/Oxford has a lot of people from other places so I wouldn't think her accent would be would be as influenced like it might be if she were living in other towns in Mississippi.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:36 PM

795 posts, read 482,406 times
I voted for Maryland, because it is such a transitional area. The reason I voted for Maryland is:

Reasons it's considered Southeastern:
- The U.S. Census considers Maryland part of the South - more specifically the South Atlantic.
- It was a slave state in 1860, just before the start of The American Civil War.

Reasons it's considered Northeastern:
-An older (think early/mid 90s geography book I remember) considered Maryland as the Southern most part of the Northeast.
- Washington D.C. is just south of and borders on Maryland. I always thought D.C.'s location was picked because it was smack dab between the northern and southern states that were official states. In other words it was the divider between the north and south.
- Baltimore, Maryland's biggest city is part of the BosWash Corridor Megalopolis - the rail connecting all the biggest cities of the Northeast (Boston, New York City and Philadelphia) with the nation's capitol (Washington D.C.).

If we're just classifying states as Northern and Southern, with no Mid categories, Maryland always makes me wonder which it would be considered.

And yes, I am waiting for someone to reply to my post with a snarky comment about how my OPINION is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.