Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,454 times

Advertisements

It also depends on age. Many of the "best cities for singles" rankings are based on density of professional twenty-somethings. That's quite an assumption since nearly half of Americans over the age of 18 are unmarried, and the vast majority are not in their twenties.

That said, cities with less of an emphasis on youth, partying, bars, etc. are probably better for those who are looking to start over after a divorce.

Denver is a good option, plenty to do and less singles bar oriented...great outdoor recreational opportunities. Another nice choice is Raleigh-Durham, NC. I attached an interesting link below ranking "Start-Over Cities".

Time for a Fresh Start - 20 Best Cities if You’re Looking to Start Over | RISMedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
just a complete change of scenery. If you were single, where would you move to? Interested to hear any and all ideas, and why.

sunny
Are you a single 20 year old? A single 40 year old? A single 60 year old? Are you just looking to get married again or do you have activities you like to do and want to know where the best place is to do them? Do you have to work? Where are the jobs in your field? Do you have any children so their activities and schools should be a factor in your decision?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Are you a single 20 year old? A single 40 year old? A single 60 year old? Are you just looking to get married again or do you have activities you like to do and want to know where the best place is to do them? Do you have to work? Where are the jobs in your field? Do you have any children so their activities and schools should be a factor in your decision?
FWIW, this thread is over 2 years old. The OP likely is not checking it anymore and has probably selected a destination.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM

37 posts, read 214,818 times
Your link to the "20 Best Cities if You're Looking to Start Over" is excellent. I live in South FL and am planning a move, but not sure where yet. I'm divorced, 46, like the change of season and generally only make about $12/hr, so rent is a big concern. I'll check out the list. I lived in Oklahoma City, OK for 10 years, but moved to FL to take care of my parents. It's now time for me to move on, but not back to OK.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 18,494 times
im single and moving to charlotte soon and SO excited about starting over

Old 07-04-2009, 06:34 PM

37 posts, read 214,818 times
Thank you for the link! I've found the links on the web were definitely geared toward 20-ish year olds and/or those interested in the party scene, which I'm not. A friend suggested Cary, NC, so I'm going to try to stop there on my way home from vacation. Again, thank you very much!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 10,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thats a good point- getting out and doing new things- sometimes I have to push myself. did you relocate after being widowed?. Sometimes a big change in scenery is the best therapy. Would love to live in Italy; as Nea mentioned- wouldnt that be hard for a person alone though?.

sunny.
i was widowed at 25 and i ended up living in italy for three years after meeting some nice people on a cooking tour organized by the local public radio station. it was a great period of exploration and growth personally because of the isolation due to the language barrier but once i learned enough italian so that i could carry on a conversation - i met some of the best and most fun friends i have ever had. i did a trial...i rented an apartment for a month to see if i could actually live there. everyday i would try to conduct my life like a normal person. instead of going to work everyday, i went to the gym. i ended up loving it and staying for a lot longer than anyone expected. the hardest part will be finding work but if you happen to be in a situation where you have passive income, GO FOR IT. the euro is down and things are cheaper now than in the past years.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,190 times
I was supposed to move to Colorado two years ago,but before this year is out I believe I will make that move.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:55 PM

182 posts, read 246,096 times
`

Old 04-18-2010, 06:19 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
I'm in North Carolina, been divorced for nine years. While the suggestions for the city areas (Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.) are good, do avoid the more rural areas and small towns. Definitely not single-friendly areas, or conducive to meeting other, quality singles. Cheaper, but not single-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.