Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Weird, that a state with only 45 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline, is considered a Great Lakes state.
When those 45 miles contain the second most heavily populated and prosperous area of the state, and it’s part of the third largest metropolitan area in the country? Yes, I would consider it a Great Lakes state.

The highest land values in Indiana are by far in Dune Acres, Ogden Dunes, and Beverly Shores, all on the Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:05 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
When the second highest concentration of population in the state is centered around those 45 miles, and it’s part of the third largest metropolitan area in the state? Yes, I would consider it a Great Lakes state.
Indiana? OK, then. I would consider Illinois that, because of Chicago, being completely on Lake Michigan. Indiana's shoreline just seems so small, and sparsely populated. There is no urban center on the Lake, but that doesn't matter...it's just not very long.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Indiana? OK, then. I would consider Illinois that, because of Chicago, being completely on Lake Michigan. Indiana's shoreline just seems so small, and sparsely populated. There is no urban center on the Lake, but that doesn't matter...it's just not very long.
Yeah, both Indiana and Illinois have huge populations concentrated near the lakeshore. Northwest Indiana is not sparsely populated. There are over 800k people near the lake, which is a lot in a state of 6.6 million.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, both Indiana and Illinois have huge populations concentrated near the lakeshore. Northwest Indiana is not sparsely populated. There are over 800k people near the lake, which is a lot in a state of 6.6 million.
I guess near the lake, rather than on it, must count, too.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:30 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Gary isn't an urban center?

I mean, I know it's small potatoes to Chicago but... so is Erie, and Cleveland, and Buffalo.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Gary isn't an urban center?

I mean, I know it's small potatoes to Chicago but... so is Erie, and Cleveland, and Buffalo.
Gary isn't even 100,000. But, if you say so. I don't really need to argue this, it's just that I think Indiana doesn't have much shore/coast, which it doesn't. That's all.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:

Hey now! Size doesn't matter! Its about the motion of the oce....errrr.. lake!

Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I guess near the lake, rather than on it, must count, too.
You still don’t seem to get it. The whole area developed around the lake. Gary, Hammond and Michigan City were, and are, all major areas of industry, due to the lake; specifically, the steel mills along the lake. The suburbs and exurbs that grew around it grew because of that. Sure, much of the lakeshore is now protected parkland, as it should be, but the reason why NWI is so heavily populated is assuredly due to the lakeshore.

Those 45 miles of shoreline count way more in Indiana’s history and culture than you are giving it credit for.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Gary isn't even 100,000. But, if you say so. I don't really need to argue this, it's just that I think Indiana doesn't have much shore/coast, which it doesn't. That's all.
Is it really that small?

Around 80,000, I'll be dipped. That still puts it above Corning or Ithaca, NY. Which around here we do consider the urban centers. :P

Old 08-02-2018, 11:02 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
My name speaks for itself.

Born in Ohio, of a Cincy Mom and Pittsburgh Dad... 3 years as a toddler in Minnesota, grew up in Chicago, college in Wisconsin, lived in Iowa, currently live in Indiana, and visit family in Detroit Michigan often.

I am actually the closest thing you will ever meet to a Midwest Nationalist. **** the coasts...we would make an awesome North American non-aligned Switzerland. Best soil on the planet, the most freshwater on the planet. Easily demarcated borders with the Great Lakes, Ohio River, and Missouri River...sorry southern Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska...you don't quite make the geographic cut....maybe we could make arrangements. Best people on the planet IMHO are found in the Midwest...smart kind generous unpretentious hard-working independent positive tuff

I feel a very strong affinity for the region obviously, and although I've lived in 8 other countries and a few places outside the region in the US (Boston, upstate NY, Philly, disliked all three..not a fan of the East Coast in general...bunch of sourpusses) I'd never willingly live outside the Midwest again within the US. Other countries, sure.

The Midwest is simply, in my eyes, the Best.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...w=1366&bih=654

Last edited by midwest1; 08-02-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.