Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 04:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Being in the same county, I'd say that Palo Alto is a suburb of San Jose before I'd say it was a suburb of San Francisco. For SF, I'd say Sausalito.

For Miami, it's either Miami Beach or Coral Gables, though way more people will know the Beach than the Gables.

For Raleigh, it's Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 04:13 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
For Philadelphia it is a toss up between The Main Line (which is actually several towns along a line) or West Chester, which was recently voted Americas best main street town.
I might be inclined to say Bryn Mawr because it's the quintessential Main Line suburb. It's name is associated with wealthy blue bloods, nationally, in large part because of the prestigious Seven Sisters college there that carries the suburb's name (careful not to call it a town, because most or all of the Main Line villages are unincorporated areas).

Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,447 times
For Seattle nationally, I'd say Bellevue, Kirkland and Renton (maybe Redmond also?). Tacoma could technically be called a suburb in which case it would be the runaway winner, but no one who lives in the Puget Sound region actually thinks of it that way.

The Bay Area is a tricky one since it really is more a conglomerate of cities than the traditional city-suburb dynamic you see in most US cities. For example, should Berkeley be considered a suburb? In terms of classic suburbs, I'd say maybe Saulsalito, Walnut Creek, and San Mateo are the most well known. I'm not sure how to classify Palo Alto and other cities and towns in the heart of Silicon Valley. They're suburban in nature but in terms of commute patterns they don't function like traditional suburbs.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 08-03-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Detroit was a hard one. Birmingham is really, really nice, but small. Lots of people know the Grosse Pointe towns, partially from the movie Grosse Pointe Blank. Auburn Hills was another one that popped in my mind because of the football stadium.
Not anymore, but when I was there for college, Auburn Hills had the basketball arena, and Pontiac down the road had the football stadium.

For Detroit I’d go Grosse Pointe, Bloomfield Hills, and Birmingham. Another one while not technically a suburb, but it’s damm close, some surburbs are actually farther, and I’ve made that drive often, Ann Arbor. Although they really like to distance themselves from Detroit. I always found that funny.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:46 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
The question asked for individual suburbs, not clusters.

Naperville is easily more recognized and known than any one north shore suburb that isn't Evanston. It has 150,000 people besides.
I think Schaumburg is better known, outside of the region.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:41 PM

422 posts, read 396,119 times
Sacramento : Folsom, Roseville and Elk Grove in that order.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times
Quote:
In Chicago, #1 is probably Evanston. #2 is probably Naperville.

Some may throw Oak Park in there but OP is more known locally than outside of Chicago, whereas Evanston has Northwestern University, and Naperville has a lot of corporate roots along its north corridor.
I'd definitely put Evanston first, but I'm surprised you consider Naperville such an obvious second place - I would've put it in the same basket as Aurora and Joliet: small to medium-sized regional cities that anchor the outskirts of the metro area.

I think Oak Park is at least comparable to all of those except Evanston, mainly for its associations with Frank Lloyd Wright and (more recently) the documentary about race relations in the high school.

Edit: Someone mentioned Wheaton, and that definitely has to be up there too - I've met a lot of people who have heard of the Christian college.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Cleveland: even though there are wealthier, per capita suburbs, old-line Shaker Heights still rules the roost. It is by far the best known suburb outside of Cleveland, esp on the snobby East Coast, and has rapid transit service -- its the best served transit suburb in Greater Cleveland by a long shot.
Lakewood seems to be decently well known lately, being a dense, urban Millennial destination and all. But SH is still probably first, yeah.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
For Philadelphia it is a toss up between The Main Line (which is actually several towns along a line) or West Chester, which was recently voted Americas best main street town.
Overall I'm pretty sure it would be one of the Main Line 'burbs, but just looking at the Jersey side I'd say either Collingswood or Cherry Hill.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
I agree with the Main Line as a whole, but how do you pick just one as the suburban representative? Maybe Bryn Mawr, maybe Villanova, maybe something else.

Though, if we're going to pick just one suburb and not an entire suburban row, I think I'd go for King of Prussia. (Valley Forge might be more famous for its historical significance, but I don't think it's as widely known specifically as being a suburb of Philadelphia.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.