Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually I really dislike Dallas. Though I do see more parks and outdoor areas (for instance, more focus on the Trinity River) in the area. And the Hill Country, which I do like, is not that far a drive. But I was mostly just commenting on the large Korean presence in Dallas, which lots of people aren't that familiar with.
Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out. projectmaximus also recommended Dallas. A truly outdoorsy person will be bored to tears in DFW. The camping and hiking options blow, the biking is average at best, and there isn't enough of a winter for winter sports. It's really lakes or bust (unless you consider golf and tennis outdoor recreation - which I personally do not). The natural setting of DFW is fugly as hell, and between summer and "winter" DFW has a good 5-6 months of crappy weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 06:47 PM

136 posts, read 180,106 times
Los angeles.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out. projectmaximus also recommended Dallas. A truly outdoorsy person will be bored to tears in DFW. The camping and hiking options blow, the biking is average at best, and there isn't enough of a winter for winter sports. It's really lakes or bust (unless you consider golf and tennis outdoor recreation - which I personally do not). The natural setting of DFW is fugly as hell, and between summer and "winter" DFW has a good 5-6 months of crappy weather.
Yep, you're right on all counts.

I can't imagine that some people actually love Dallas but some people do. Takes all sorts, I guess. Anyway, not many cities (if any) will have everything the OP is looking for. I just wanted to point out that Dallas has a sizeable Korean presence. It seems important to the OP.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Ellicott City, Maryland (suburb of Baltimore) isn’t on the OP’s list, but maybe it should be. It definitely meets the requirements for proximity to a major airport, excellent school system, good medical care, four seasons, outdoor activities, Asian supermarkets (an H-Mart and a Lotte), and Korean restaurants. Most houses have decent sized yards, and even many townhouses do have their own patch of lawn. Affordability might be an issue, though; we’re not the cheapest place around. But if the OP is willing to consider Northern Virginia, Ellicott City makes for a slightly more affordable and less crowded option.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I'd say Atlanta sounds like the best candidate overall.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 PM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Quote:
Dallas has a lot of Korean influence - in fact, it has an area that is chock full of Korean markets, stores, shops, etc. Lots and lots of Asian and Asian fusion foods. It has tons of medical jobs, no state income tax, decent housing and schools in many of the suburbs, lots of amenities.
Dallas is probably the most popular destination for Koreans now. I know because I'm Korean. Jobs and low cost of living are what attract Koreans to move to the Metroplex. It's a big plus for them because schools are even better (since they value education more than anything else).

Old 08-06-2018, 10:39 PM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Quote:
Yep, you're right on all counts.

I can't imagine that some people actually love Dallas but some people do. Takes all sorts, I guess. Anyway, not many cities (if any) will have everything the OP is looking for. I just wanted to point out that Dallas has a sizeable Korean presence. It seems important to the OP.
Lots of my Korean friends actually do love Dallas. Some of them dislike Dallas because of the intense heat and lack of outdoor activities. Like you said, it's impossible to have everything the OP would want in one city. But Atlanta will be the closest city that satifies most of what the OP wants. (outdoor options, 4 seasons, large Korean/Asian, large lots, etc)

Old 08-07-2018, 04:04 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Atlanta.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 AM

18 posts, read 18,048 times
Nashville has no income tax, strong healthcare, great restaurants and bars, culture (not just country) If you are active, you will love living here with the public parks, lakes, trails, etc. The weather is wonderful all year (summer is very hot, but so is NYC- I'm from there).

Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posedao View Post

Pretty much the things we are looking for are within 1 hour of large airport (I will likely need to travel frequently for work), asian food markets and korean restaurants nearby (were both half korean), good medical-legal and general healthcare (high on this list are TX, CA, CO, KS, NC; Worst on the list NY, NJ, IL, PA, DE, FL), Low to no state income tax is a plus but not required, good school systems (we anticipate having kids in the future), yard/space (Would ideally like a few acres of land but enough to have a dog as we have 1 already), outdoor/recreational options (we both like to be outside), 4 seasons are ok but mild to minimal/no winters preferred (we don't mind snow but dont think i would be happy having more than I already am used to and wouldn't mind less winters).

We are very flexible as our families are very scattered and can work anywhere there is a hospital. Also I am in a field that does not require me to build up a practice so can easily move again if a place doesn't fit.
Northern Virginia (Fairfax County or Loudoun County) would be my recommendation given your criteria with it's better schools, thriving job market with better salaries, a well established Korean community, close proximity to three major airports, it's green topography and masses of options for homes with decent sized yards plus milder winters compared to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.