Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially mid-western?
Nebraska 4 3.70%
Kansas 6 5.56%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Ohio 15 13.89%
Michigan 8 7.41%
Indiana 21 19.44%
Illinois 25 23.15%
Minnesota 3 2.78%
Wisconsin 4 3.70%
Iowa 46 42.59%
Missouri 4 3.70%
Kentucky 0 0%
North Dakota 0 0%
South Dakota 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I always found Ohio's status as unquestionably Midwestern a little strange. It's literally in the northeast part of the country, by a considerable margin. Parts of the state (including major cities) are closer to the Atlantic than the Mississippi, and the majority of the state seems far more aligned with the industrial northeast than the agricultural center of the country. For example, Des Moines is as far from Dallas as it is from Cleveland.

I'm aware it goes back to a time when Ohio was in the middle of the country, but growing up I always thought "Midwest" meant the "middle of the country" as opposed to a specific region that was more designated by culture or demographics than it was by location on a map.

Culturally, and to most people, Ohio is very representative of that Midwestern culture, but it has little in common with anything west of the Mississippi, and it's quite a ways from the middle of the country.
I never understood the term "Midwest" either, until I considered the historical context in which it was coined. I thought the term more appropriately described the middle of the West, i.e., Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and environs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Kansas and Nebraska

Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I never understood the term "Midwest" either, until I considered the historical context in which it was coined. I thought the term more appropriately described the middle of the West, i.e., Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and environs.
How about Northwestern University near Chicago? When it was founded that was actually considered the Northwest!...as in Northwest territories.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It's still not remotely central. The geographic center of the contiguous United States is on the Kansas/Nebraska border, just west of the Missouri River. Ohio, especially Cleveland, is a long damn ways from there.

I'm not arguing that Ohio isn't Midwestern - at all. I'm just saying that because of it's actual location, and the level of industry, it felt part of a different of the country to me. Just my subjective observation, and the logic behind it.
The Midwest is a large region that is more diverse than many give it credit for. People in states like OH and IN think larger cities and industry are the norm, people in states like IA, and NE think agriculture is the norm. When I lived in IA, I heard people refer to Cleveland and Detroit as "back East".

Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
How about Northwestern University near Chicago? When it was founded that was actually considered the Northwest!...as in Northwest territories.
Exactly! Here in the Twin Cities many businesses are still or until recent decades, named "Northwest", such as Northwest Bank, Northwest Life Insurance Co., Northwest Opticians, Northwest Camera, Northwest Airlines, etc. The now-defunct Hamm's Beer's slogan was "The Beer That Grew With the Great Northwest" even into the 80s.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
To me the core of the Midwest is Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Any of those.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
I always found Ohio's status as unquestionably Midwestern a little strange. It's literally in the northeast part of the country, by a considerable margin. Parts of the state (including major cities) are closer to the Atlantic than the Mississippi, and the majority of the state seems far more aligned with the industrial northeast than the agricultural center of the country. For example, Des Moines is as far from Dallas as it is from Cleveland.

I'm aware it goes back to a time when Ohio was in the middle of the country, but growing up I always thought "Midwest" meant the "middle of the country" as opposed to a specific region that was more designated by culture or demographics than it was by location on a map.

Culturally, and to most people, Ohio is very representative of that Midwestern culture, but it has little in common with anything west of the Mississippi, and it's quite a ways from the middle of the country.
That's why I argue that the "Midwest" and the northeast should just be called... the north. because that's what it is.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:56 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's why I argue that the "Midwest" and the northeast should just be called... the north. because that's what it is.
Combining the Midwest and Northeast would be too big of a region. Besides they are too different from each other.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 AM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Hard to answer as the Midwest is somewhat diverse, especially when comparing the eastern part (Wisconsin and Illinois east) compared with the western part (MO, IA, MN, Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas), but I'd argue for quintessential Midwest for me, Illinois and Indiana what come to mind.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Combining the Midwest and Northeast would be too big of a region. Besides they are too different from each other.
No and no.

Texas and South Carolina are different but whether people like it or not they are both in the south.

Aside from that the Midwest/northeast are not that different from each other. Only at the extreme ends are they THAT different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.